PDA

View Full Version : Now it's oral/mouth cancer... :(

Jabberwoxx
06-11-14, 19:55
Hi everyone. A new problem has occurred, as they do with health anxiety, but with a genuine troublesome symptom this time.

I can feel a small lump in my mouth on my cheek. It's very similar to an ulcer, except it doesn't hurt at all. It's been there about a week now and hasn't gone. Naturally I think: mouth/oral cancer.

I'm 23 and in university (in the final year, so a very busy year). My mum has booked me a dental appointment because I've also been having trouble with my wisdom tooth, but on the other side of my mouth, so it's not that. The dental appointment isn't until mid December though.

I know you should wait a few weeks before you should see someone so you're not being over-dramatic, but I'm worried that this might be TOO long to wait in case it's something sinister. I suppose I just want a peace of mind and some reassurance that there are other things this could be rather than cancer :(

I do smoke but have cut down significantly. I have only smoked for two and half years. What makes it worse is that my mum doesn't know I have, and do, smoke - I'm having visions of me diagnosed with mouth cancer caused by smoking as stupid as it sounds, and it's so awful. :weep:

I know oral cancer is quite rare and that, especially at my age, but I used to smoke a LOT (even though not for very long) and also used to drink quite a bit too (as uni students do!)

I daren't Google anything but I know a lump in mouth is an alarm symptom and should be checked.

Fishmanpa
06-11-14, 20:27
Hi everyone. A new problem has occurred, as they do with health anxiety, but with a genuine troublesome symptom this time.

I can feel a small lump in my mouth on my cheek. It's very similar to an ulcer, except it doesn't hurt at all. It's been there about a week now and hasn't gone. Naturally I think: mouth/oral cancer.

I'm 23 and in university (in the final year, so a very busy year). My mum has booked me a dental appointment because I've also been having trouble with my wisdom tooth, but on the other side of my mouth, so it's not that. The dental appointment isn't until mid December though.

I know you should wait a few weeks before you should see someone so you're not being over-dramatic, but I'm worried that this might be TOO long to wait in case it's something sinister. I suppose I just want a peace of mind and some reassurance that there are other things this could be rather than cancer :(

I do smoke but have cut down significantly. I have only smoked for two and half years. What makes it worse is that my mum doesn't know I have, and do, smoke - I'm having visions of me diagnosed with mouth cancer caused by smoking as stupid as it sounds, and it's so awful. :weep:

I know oral cancer is quite rare and that, especially at my age, but I used to smoke a LOT (even though not for very long) and also used to drink quite a bit too (as uni students do!)

I daren't Google anything but I know a lump in mouth is an alarm symptom and should be checked.

Wait.... if it doesn't resolve in a few weeks, then see a doctor. I'm a survivor of H&N cancer. PLEASE stop smoking!!!! I'm a perfect example of why!

Positive thoughts

cpe1978
06-11-14, 20:28
I have been around here long enough now to have seen a whole heap of people stress about mouth cancer. I also have the privilege of getting to know Fishmanpa on here who has actually had it.

I am yet to see anyone come back and say that they actually had what they thought - I don't imagine at the age of 23 you will be the first.

wnsos
06-11-14, 22:30
Could you have accidentally nibbled on your inner cheek in your sleep/subconsciously with trying to avoid doing anything to antagonise the wisdom tooth? Just a suggestion of course.

FMP is right, wait it out and see. And definitely stop smoking. :)

cricket0148
08-11-14, 21:07
Believe me, Ive done this dance. I have exactly what you are talking about except i quit smoking a year ago. i was terrified of this lump on my inside cheek. ive learned to just freaking relax believe it or not. its still there but not as prominent. im under a TREMENDOUS amount of stress and have been told by alot of people that stress will do this too.