PDA

View Full Version : Face numb right-hand side!?!

Carnation
06-11-14, 20:21
Most of my symptoms, new or old I try to ignore, but this one is worrying me. For the last few mornings I have woken to find the right-hand side of my face completely numb. I can talk and move, but it feels like it has been in a frozen state and it takes a good ten minutes for the feeling to go away. It is just the face and I feel ok, I look reasonably ok; (never look that good in the morning anyway). I just wondered whether anyone else has experienced this? :ohmy:

IrishLondon
06-11-14, 21:16
Really sorry to hear you are going through this Carnation.

Anxiety can cause numbness anywhere I've read - and the fact that it goes away after 10 minutes would make me think it couldn't be anything serious. But maybe a quick visit to the GP, just for them to put your mind at rest would be a good idea?

caroline-j
06-11-14, 21:41
Hi Carnation, I to experience numbness in the face. mine can happen at anytime of day. x

Sunflower2
06-11-14, 21:49
It couldn't just simply be from lying on it? I'm sure I've had that before. Can you feel it when you touch it? Or are you cold when you wake up? It's pretty chilly up here and I keep waking up with a freezing cold face!
Not related but I've sometimes slept on my arm and the whole thing went numb from lack of blood flow. I had to pick it up with my other arm and could swing it around and not feel a thing!! Was like someone else had their arm attached to me haha!

Carnation
06-11-14, 23:20
That's the strange thing, it is not cold and I may well have been sleeping on that side, but 10 minutes seems quite a while to return to normal. :ohmy:

Fishmanpa
06-11-14, 23:35
I've not experienced what you describe but due to surgeries, I truly have numbness due to nerve damage. It feels like the left side of my face is made of clay from about mid left cheek to the base of my neck and over to my Adam's apple. There is absolutely no feeling. It's numb to the point that I cut myself shaving and don't even realize it until there's blood on my face. It's the same on my chest from open heart surgery. You can yank out my chest hair in a 6" area either side of my scar and I won't even flinch. THAT'S numb! ;)

What you describe is akin to sleeping funny as it resolves within ten minutes. It could also be related to TMJ.

I disagree with visiting a GP for reassurance as it just feeds the dragon and reinforces a negative behavior/action. If it's not causing you severe distress, just wait until your normal visit and if it's still bothering you, bring it up.

Positive thoughts

Carnation
07-11-14, 00:01
Thanks everyone for your help, it has already put my Mind at rest. :)

KLP
07-11-14, 00:04
Hi,

I have experienced this only happened a few times, woke up rushed to the bathroom mirror as it was felt numb. I later spoke to my brother who's a nurse and he said it's only numb if you stick a needle in and you don't feel it. Which I know I would have. But it is disturbing but float through it. X