PDA

View Full Version : First counselling session

IrishLondon
06-11-14, 21:07
Hi everyone,

Time for my post again - it's turning into a nightly occurrence - I'm sorry about that, but I find writing here stops me turning into an anxious mess in the evening so please bear with me :)

I had my first counselling session this evening - it was with a counsellor i saw back in March for a few sessions when things got bad back then.

There were lots of tears this time and i talked about some fears that I've never talked about with anyone before. So we've agreed that I will continue to see her for the next 6 weeks.

I think there's a lot of deep seated anxiety in me that I haven't really addressed - and it has manifested itself in weird physical symptoms over the last 5 years. I then focus on the physical symptoms rather than what's going on underneath. So i'm hoping that talking will at least allow me to sort a few things out in my head - and maybe talking reduces the fear a bit too. That's what i'm hoping anyway!!

So the weekend is on the horizon - and I must admit i'm dreading it a bit. I'm normally a guy who loves my weekends, but i'm worried about having too much time to think and sending myself back into that very dark place I was in last weekend. MUST KEEP MYSELF BUSY!!!

Once again, thanks to anyone who reads my ramblings!

Ryan

wnsos
06-11-14, 22:21
Anything that keeps the anxiety away is a good thing, so never be sorry for writing here. These are the kind of posts I know I like to see. :) I'm really glad your counselling session went alright. Talking is really good. We have an awful habit as human beings as holding back emotion, and I know that there's an age old saying that men find it harder to show vulnerability than women (though I do too and I'm a card carrying boob-haver)!

Keep writing! Start a blog. :D You'll rock it.

IrishLondon
06-11-14, 22:33
Thanks a million!!! - Just don't want to become a bore to people on here. :)

I agree writing and talking really do help me get through the tough spots. I do really appreciate this forum - it's provided me with a lot of hope when I've needed it most. Hope I can do the same for someone when I get through this.

Ohhhhh a blog is not a bad idea! I might just do that :D

wnsos
06-11-14, 22:34
Not a bore at all. This sort of post is good for both you and anyone that might read it and maybe decide to do the same thing. It's not triggering to anyone like others out there and it's a really really good start. Deffo go for the blog, bet if you write all weekend, you won't even realise it going over. :hugs: I personally hope you have a decent one.

IrishLondon
06-11-14, 22:38
Right back at you!! Hope you have a great one yourself :)

chickpea
06-11-14, 22:49
Glad to see you on here, and even more glad to that you've been able to talk to a counsellor.
I'm sure it's going to be hard, but it's great that you've ripped the plaster off your problems and are going to be able to tackle the source of the infection, as it were.
Much better to do it this way - it means you're less likely to relapse because you've got to the true heart of your issues.

Well done! Make sure you get out and about this weekend - cinema, shops, library, walk, gym, whatever.

IrishLondon
06-11-14, 22:56
Thanks chickpea! Always brilliant to hear from you!

Yes plaster has been ripped off and time to get to the bottom of all this. I'm lucky i've found a counsellor who lives close to me and who i feel very comfortable with. I'm going to make it a weekly thing at least until christmas.

Yes, out and about this weekend is the key! xx

Carnation
06-11-14, 23:36
I found counseling one of the key factors in my recovery and I look at the tears as stress, worry, trauma and sadness being released. I was always told not to cry as a child and now I cry at the least little thing. My Therapist said it is good to cry.

.Poppy.
07-11-14, 00:27
Glad your session went great. I'm sure it will just get better as time goes along.

I agree that talking things out is one of the best ways to heal. I think with anxiety, we have a lot of thoughts running through our mind and they tend to get all tangled up. When we talk about them aloud, we sort of untangle them and organize them and not only do we feel better, but sometimes we find answers to some of our problems. It's great you have a therapist to talk to - it's always great to have someone listen in and provide advice/perspective/a sympathetic ear.

Good luck on your journey to get to feeling better! We're all rooting for you! :)

Abarth
07-11-14, 00:46
Hey Ryan - your post reminds me of a saying that I think is quite apt here. Apologoes if this is a bit of a cliche, but - 'grief that finds no vent in tears, makes other organs weep' or a variation thereof. I think therin lies a real truth for us all. Everyone here is so right, talking is a healing catharsis; we bottle so much up I think and then we periodically go 'pop'. Keep posting, and an open dialogue, it really helps. It's great to see your posts, and all the others here.
Ant

dac0273
16-11-14, 22:48
Hi all
To Irishlondon How long did you wait for counselling , I've been waiting 7 weeks so far and they say I'll have to wait another 8weeks . I feel desperate, my HA is at it's worst it could possibly be, I don't post on here that often , but maybe I should it might help me get through the tough moments like today x