PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take magnesium?

PaladinX
06-11-14, 21:53
I been reading some people say magnesium supplements helped them.. anyone take this? I am not sure which type or how much to take.. Would appreciate any help or advice.

regards

chickpea
06-11-14, 23:02
I do!
I simply bought the first tub I found in the chemist and have taken it for a month, and yes - I think it's helped.
That said, I've also been taking vitamin B12, vitamin D and starflower oil - I was struggling with hormonal mood swings.

PaladinX
07-11-14, 07:40
is there a type or amount.. could use some help or info from anyone who has had success with it.

chickpea
07-11-14, 08:42
If you click on "magnesium" in the tags underneath this post (or the last post, if more reply before you read this), it will bring up all posts with magnesium in the title - that should give you the answers to your questions.

PaladinX
07-11-14, 20:18
thank you

PaladinX
08-11-14, 03:02
wasn't too many threads or anything that specific.. thought this topic would be more popular.. maybe it is and i missed it.. but a lot of information is vague and confusing.. different types.. some talk about mixing it with a crap load of other supplements.. some say it worked for them, but don't say what kind or how much they took.. Shit,, if i was taking something that cured my anxiety.. I would be providing details of everything about it. kind of frustrating.

MyNameIsTerry
08-11-14, 04:12
Have you seen these threads:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=160480 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=160480)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=157559 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=157559)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=161789 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=161789)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133399 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133399)

Also, this one on the GAD board had some detail on and I posted a link to an article about the Taurine bound version that may be useful for you.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=160477

Magnesium seems useful for anxiety but it seems most useful for sleep hence some of these amino acid neurotransmitter/GABA precursor ones seem useful as they treat anxiety as well.

Bonkersbob1710
09-11-14, 19:53
Hi, I do, I take magnesium taurate from Biocare brand.
It works, for me anyway.
Three weeks ago I went to docs after feeling the old 'demon anxiety' was lurking, partly due to getting very bad food poisioning in July which has caused my ibs issues to be worse. This triggered my GAD and I read about magnesium.
Doc prescribed citalopram, but not keen to go back on this, tried mag taurate.
All I can say is that after two weeks of taking this every evening, I have still not needed to take the citalopram. I feel calmer, less agitated and happier.

Try it, it's not a chemical simply a natural supplement.
😉

PaladinX
15-11-14, 19:53
Thanks a lot for that info.. May i ask how much you take a day, how many mg's and once at night? Do you also take a calcium supplement? I read that you need to take calcium with mag? Very happy it works for you. I want to try it!

regards
paul

chickpea
15-11-14, 20:30
I was taking around 400mg at night, but it seemed to cause bad diarrhoea so I've stopped and am going to try one of the other forms mentioned in the threads on the natural remedies board.

I think it's a case of suck it and see - what suits one person may not suit another.

PaladinX
15-11-14, 21:07
400mg magnesium? and how much taurine? The magenisum taurate i realized has two ingredients in it.. the bottle says total MG.. but there is a break down of how many MG's of each ingredient is in a serving. so im not sure if your just listing what is in the bottle.. or magnesium specifically

chickpea
15-11-14, 21:14
Just magnesium (Citrate, I think).
I can't tell you more than that, because it is just the basic magnesium supplement you can pick up at the supermarket - nothing sophisticated or considered!
I have IBS and Crohn's, so as I said, it could simply be that the form I took didn't agree with me but will be fine for you.

I believe men need a slightly lower daily dose than women - worth Googling.

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-14, 05:17
Just magnesium (Citrate, I think).
I can't tell you more than that, because it is just the basic magnesium supplement you can pick up at the supermarket - nothing sophisticated or considered!
I have IBS and Crohn's, so as I said, it could simply be that the form I took didn't agree with me but will be fine for you.

I believe men need a slightly lower daily dose than women - worth Googling.

Have a look in that other thread on the Natural Remedies thread chickpea because the links I posted show which forms produce this effect in the bowels because they are aimed at treating digestion & constipation. It also mentions why the other types don't so you have some other options to try out.

---------- Post added at 05:17 ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 ----------

400mg magnesium? and how much taurine? The magenisum taurate i realized has two ingredients in it.. the bottle says total MG.. but there is a break down of how many MG's of each ingredient is in a serving. so im not sure if your just listing what is in the bottle.. or magnesium specifically

Taurine is a very different issue. You probably won't see much variety in this product anyway as there seem to be less manufacturers producing it. So, I think you may have to do some reading and experimenting.

Taurine works in a different way, it does enhance the effects of magnesium, and vice versa, but taurine will influence GABA thus aiding with anxiety in a more direct manner.

chickpea
18-11-14, 17:08
Have a look in that other thread on the Natural Remedies thread chickpea because the links I posted show which forms produce this effect in the bowels because they are aimed at treating digestion & constipation. It also mentions why the other types don't so you have some other options to try out.

---------- Post added at 05:17 ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 ----------

Taurine is a very different issue. You probably won't see much variety in this product anyway as there seem to be less manufacturers producing it. So, I think you may have to do some reading and experimenting.

Taurine works in a different way, it does enhance the effects of magnesium, and vice versa, but taurine will influence GABA thus aiding with anxiety in a more direct manner.

Thanks Terry.
Coincidentally, I found a magnesium oxide spray in Tesco today, combined with essential oils for sleep. Apparently, 10 sprays gives 50% RDA. Will give it a whizz and report back.
Since stopping the tablet form magnesium, my toilet problems have stopped.:)

MyNameIsTerry
19-11-14, 08:24
Thanks Terry.
Coincidentally, I found a magnesium oxide spray in Tesco today, combined with essential oils for sleep. Apparently, 10 sprays gives 50% RDA. Will give it a whizz and report back.
Since stopping the tablet form magnesium, my toilet problems have stopped.:)

Cool, I didn't know Tesco sold those. Have a look for the chloride versions as well as they are getting good reviews on Amazon and are supposed to be excellent for absorption rates.

Can I ask, how does the 10 sprays work out in terms of ml used? I've seen one on Amazon like this but I'm trying to work out what that means to the 100ml so I can understand the cost per month.

chickpea
19-11-14, 08:47
Well, according to the bottle, 100ml = up to 800 sprays.

I was looking on Amazon last night, and the reviews for the product I bought were very good - 4 stars, out of over 200 reviews. Lots of 5 star reviews from people saying it helped get rid of muscle pains and they slept really well.

It's called BetterYou magnesium oil. They do a whole range of magnesium based products (and much cheaper than Tesco).

MyNameIsTerry
19-11-14, 09:25
Thanks Chickpea, thats the exact product I was looking at! I was a bit concerned that 10 sprays might be a massive amount of the liquid so you end up buying several bottles a month but that works out at 80 days which is good value for money.

I read some of the rewiews and liked what people were writing. Its always good to see some people who have more chronic physical conditions benefitting from supplementation and ditching their medications...I think it gives us lot hope as our meds are not very good.

I have been suffering from sciatica for 4 months now so I'm looking around for things that might help with that and magnesium is going to be my starting point given it could help on other fronts too.

Where was it in Tesco? I'll have to go and have a look. I can't remember seeing it in either of my 2 local ones. Was it reasonably priced compared to Amazon?

I think I read you have to do a topical test, like with any spray on, then use a lower dosage to see if you get any skin itching but I bet that soon goes because I've read its due to a low level of existing magnesium in the body so its a natural reaction.

chickpea
19-11-14, 10:19
I found it with the probiotics and other "alternative" supplements, at the opposite end of the aisle from the vitamin supplements.

It was £3 or £4 more than Amazon, so probably better to buy from Amazon.
It did sting a little at first, and stung like mad where I have eczema on my hands when I rubbed it in! I woke up with a bit of a furry mouth - as you might expect from a salt-based product.

PaladinX
21-11-14, 23:02
How long does it take for the mag suppliments to work? I been taking glycinate 200mg 2x.. and taurine 1000mg.. haven't noticed anything yet

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-14, 07:26
I think you must have a better Tesco than the ones where I live Chickpea as we don't have any probiotics. I did look for this and couldn't find anything so they must not sell it in my area. I'll go for amazon anyway to save on cost and they have multiple versions as well.

Not sure how long they take but I believe magnesium deficiency would require a correction process to take place to rebalance it so it would need to build. Taurine is used in other ways than just for mood so I'm not sure on that one but if it is impacting on GABA you will feel your mood lifting.

MPsyStudent_1988
25-11-14, 02:07
Hey everyone!
I started taking 150 mg of magnesium citrate along with omega-3 gummies (multivitamin) and in the morning Jamieson Stress Support (contains 200 mg of L-Theanine, 25 mg of GABA, 5mg of Glycine and 5 mg of Lemon Balm) to alleviate my panic/anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
08-01-15, 07:43
I found it with the probiotics and other "alternative" supplements, at the opposite end of the aisle from the vitamin supplements.

It was £3 or £4 more than Amazon, so probably better to buy from Amazon.
It did sting a little at first, and stung like mad where I have eczema on my hands when I rubbed it in! I woke up with a bit of a furry mouth - as you might expect from a salt-based product.

Hi Chickpea,

A couple of weeks after you had yours, one of my Tescos added a new stand for natural health with this magnesium on.

I read that if it stings, it can mean you have sprayed it onto an area with a magnesium deficiency. Some people seem to suggest spraying it on the tops of your feet to get around this.

Is It helping you?

MyNameIsTerry
23-02-15, 06:54
Well I picked up a bottle of transdermal magnesium with twice as much in as the Better You brand for about £6 off Amazon at Xmas and have been using it recently.

I spray it on my feet as I read that those who find it stings do this to avoid it. No stinging for me.

Its early days yet on things though to determine whether its helping as my sleep deprevation issues will be getting in the way. I have noticed my asthma seems better than it has been for a quite a while though so it could be helping there.

NixieNoo
24-02-15, 10:16
Hi, I have been taking Magnesium for a week now, the fizzies from Slow Mag as the absorb better - not sure if you get that brand where you are, here in South Africa, Slow Mag is the top recommended magnesium brand, here is the link to the site just to give you more info on how magnesium helps for stress, fatigue, anxiety, etc.

http://www.slowmag.co.za/#intro

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-15, 09:05
Hi, I have been taking Magnesium for a week now, the fizzies from Slow Mag as the absorb better - not sure if you get that brand where you are, here in South Africa, Slow Mag is the top recommended magnesium brand, here is the link to the site just to give you more info on how magnesium helps for stress, fatigue, anxiety, etc.

http://www.slowmag.co.za/#intro

Yeah, its on Amazon in the UK.

MyNameIsTerry
25-07-15, 07:28
Well I picked up a bottle of transdermal magnesium with twice as much in as the Better You brand for about £6 off Amazon at Xmas and have been using it recently.

I spray it on my feet as I read that those who find it stings do this to avoid it. No stinging for me.

Its early days yet on things though to determine whether its helping as my sleep deprevation issues will be getting in the way. I have noticed my asthma seems better than it has been for a quite a while though so it could be helping there.

Update from me.

I can't say I have been noticing any benefits with spraying 3 times on each foot. But I have been having bad knees for about 6+ weeks now and I thought it might be something like osteoarthitis. I found taking glucosamine was helping a bit but then it didn't seem to improve until...I sprayed magnesium on my knees! Twice for each and within a day the aches had reduced substantially. I've been using it for a week now and my knees are much better, still some aches here & there but the clicking has gone and they no longer throb on the bad days when I get into bed.

I guess it's also possible that since this can work quite quickly for something, the fact I noticed nothing before could literally be due to lack of correct dosage so I need to play around a bit with it.

I'm also going to try it on my sciatica next to see if anything improves and on my skin aches which I get a fair bit with all the walking as I've sene people using it for that too.

julieannboo
06-08-15, 10:48
Update from me.

I can't say I have been noticing any benefits with spraying 3 times on each foot. But I have been having bad knees for about 6+ weeks now and I thought it might be something like osteoarthitis. I found taking glucosamine was helping a bit but then it didn't seem to improve until...I sprayed magnesium on my knees! Twice for each and within a day the aches had reduced substantially. I've been using it for a week now and my knees are much better, still some aches here & there but the clicking has gone and they no longer throb on the bad days when I get into bed.

I guess it's also possible that since this can work quite quickly for something, the fact I noticed nothing before could literally be due to lack of correct dosage so I need to play around a bit with it.

I'm also going to try it on my sciatica next to see if anything improves and on my skin aches which I get a fair bit with all the walking as I've sene people using it for that too.

Did you try it on your sciatica too Terry?

I have started taking magnesium citrate tablets for muscle tension and pain, in back and hips.
I think it is stress, anxiety and depression that have caused this.

Let me know how the spray is.

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-15, 23:14
Did you try it on your sciatica too Terry?

I have started taking magnesium citrate tablets for muscle tension and pain, in back and hips.
I think it is stress, anxiety and depression that have caused this.

Let me know how the spray is.

Yes Julie,

I have been using it for about a week and it is helping with my sciatica, hips and knees. I guess real improvements will take time but it is decreasing the aches & pains.

I did experience some stinging at first which suggested a deficiency anyway.

Citrate is a laxative so if you go over a certain dosage it can give you the runs. There are other forms that don't do this. Stay away from oxide though as that turns to Milk Of Magnesia when it hits the water in your stomach and can similar effects on your bowels. There are some good threads about this on the Natural Remedies board.

blue moon
08-08-15, 01:16
I take it daily,have done for years.:D