PDA

View Full Version : Lymphoma scare

angsty1992
07-11-14, 07:08
Absolutely terrified...again
Hi I'm a 22 year old, slimmer fit male. For the last several months I have been completely obsessed with my lymph nodes. For years I have always been able to feel one specific of right by my adams apple. Over the past couple months I have found 3 more, right under my jaw and a couple by my groin...all about the size of a pea or slightly larger. They are soft for the most part and movable. The thing that threw me over the edge was that I found something above my collar bone on the left side. It almost feels like a muscle because its long and skinny. Not really a round shape. Id say about the length and width of my pinky. Its soft and movable. It is not present on the other side...I am just terrified because I know that swollen lymph nodes above the left collar bone point to Lymphoma. My one aunt had Lymphoma. I am terrified. Is this a lymph node that is swollen? And the fact I can feel other lymph nodes?
I've went to the doctor about this before and he gave them a quick feel and said I was fine. Is it that easy? I am just so terrified. Afraid they missed something. Afraid it's going to be deadly.
Someone please help! Thanks for reading

Hi1994
07-11-14, 16:40
Absolutely terrified...again
Hi I'm a 22 year old, slimmer fit male. For the last several months I have been completely obsessed with my lymph nodes. For years I have always been able to feel one specific of right by my adams apple. Over the past couple months I have found 3 more, right under my jaw and a couple by my groin...all about the size of a pea or slightly larger. They are soft for the most part and movable. The thing that threw me over the edge was that I found something above my collar bone on the left side. It almost feels like a muscle because its long and skinny. Not really a round shape. Id say about the length and width of my pinky. Its soft and movable. It is not present on the other side...I am just terrified because I know that swollen lymph nodes above the left collar bone point to Lymphoma. My one aunt had Lymphoma. I am terrified. Is this a lymph node that is swollen? And the fact I can feel other lymph nodes?
I've went to the doctor about this before and he gave them a quick feel and said I was fine. Is it that easy? I am just so terrified. Afraid they missed something. Afraid it's going to be deadly.
Someone please help! Thanks for reading

I am just like you and can relate to you. I also have had a constant fear of lympoma. I have many swollen glands except unlike you I'm not slim (if you're slim it's actually quite normal to feel them). I spent years and years freaking out over my glands. One of them on my groin was even quite hard. I noticed though, that after two years, none of them changed and it's clearly not cancer as as still feel great. I went to the doctor regardless and apparently, if the nodes are under 2cm, they're under normal range! And, a lot of them stay up forever after an infection! If it makes you feel better, I have a swollen lympth node on my collar bone too. I;ve had it for a year and looks like I am still alive. :) It is very soft and feels like jelly, it's tiny too. Like a pea. My doctor saw it and again, he thought it was of no concern. Lympth nodes can be long btw. And I have one of these long ones on my groin, for two years (at least I think it's a lympth node) and it feels exactly like how you describe it. It's been two years and I'm still alive so I think you'll be fine too. Unless it gets bigger or changes I wouldn't really worry about it because as far as we know, our long bumps can even be just extra fatty growth! Also, there is a particular node in your collarbone that they say is correlated with cancer. I forgot the name but it starts with a V. It's near your neck and is suppose to be round. So, from your description, I don't think this is the node you're talking about. :) Relax. :)

eeesh
07-11-14, 17:18
I am just like you and can relate to you. I also have had a constant fear of lympoma. I have many swollen glands except unlike you I'm not slim (if you're slim it's actually quite normal to feel them). I spent years and years freaking out over my glands. One of them on my groin was even quite hard. I noticed though, that after two years, none of them changed and it's clearly not cancer as as still feel great. I went to the doctor regardless and apparently, if the nodes are under 2cm, they're under normal range! And, a lot of them stay up forever after an infection! If it makes you feel better, I have a swollen lympth node on my collar bone too. I;ve had it for a year and looks like I am still alive. :) It is very soft and feels like jelly, it's tiny too. Like a pea. My doctor saw it and again, he thought it was of no concern. Lympth nodes can be long btw. And I have one of these long ones on my groin, for two years (at least I think it's a lympth node) and it feels exactly like how you describe it. It's been two years and I'm still alive so I think you'll be fine too. Unless it gets bigger or changes I wouldn't really worry about it because as far as we know, our long bumps can even be just extra fatty growth! Also, there is a particular node in your collarbone that they say is correlated with cancer. I forgot the name but it starts with a V. It's near your neck and is suppose to be round. So, from your description, I don't think this is the node you're talking about. :) Relax. :)

The node in question is the supraclavicular lymph node. If this gets larger you will know about it. It's usually visible on observation, and others will notice this also.

I'm worried about lymphoma, then I started to worry about maybe having HIV (which also causes enlarged nodes), even though I had a test 90 days after possible exposure.

Your mind will focus and find symptoms pertaining to anything if you get obsessive about it. Just forget it. These things get picked up when someone is genuinely and noticeably ill. If you are not, and the docs have given you the all clear, forget about it.