PDA

View Full Version : Read about a symptom and then feel it ?

Arran7225
07-11-14, 15:24
Does or has anyone ever read a symptom on Google and then felt the very same thing ?

.Poppy.
07-11-14, 15:42
Yes - it's just an example of how powerful our minds really are.

I hear about it a lot in medical students too. Since they spend so much time studying different diseases, sometimes they begin to "recognize" the symptoms. Or psych students that start to "recognize" symptoms of things in themselves and others.

It's very, very common.

Arran7225
07-11-14, 16:14
Thanks poppy :)

Amazing how the brain works really

paul78
07-11-14, 16:38
Yes it happened with me. Before googling i was ok but after spent a lot of time on google i think i have all those diseses that i never heard before (so many cancers ,lumps,bumps etc.).only one good thing i got from google that is lovely nmp website with great people.

CleverLittleViper
07-11-14, 16:51
Oh, yes.

I read about MS symptoms, and the day after, my face started to go numb as I waited for the bus. Of course, at the time, it was pretty frightening, now, I think all too coincidental that I read that was a symptom then all of a sudden, I have it. :winks::blush:

It's known as somatoform symptoms, I believe, sometimes referred to as psychosomatic, or conversion disorder. Our minds are really powerful things, especially when we're in fear mode.

Arran7225
07-11-14, 20:06
Glad it's not just me. Awful I need to learn not togo on Google !!!

IrishLondon
07-11-14, 20:09
Yes this absolutely happens to me.

My anxiety has been rising for a few weeks. But what really kicked it off last week was googling some mild symptoms i had - these symptoms then turned into really distressing symptoms and I'm sure it's because of what I read and the power of my mind making the symptoms much worse.