PDA

View Full Version : Exercise - any recommendations?

IrishLondon
07-11-14, 21:49
Another post from that Irish bloke! :)

My muscles in my lower back and thighs felt really tense today - was quite a stressful day at work.

Now relaxing on my sofa i'm feeling some burning in those muscles and twitching. I've read that this is caused by the adrenaline rushing around and causing the nerves to react in that way.

And i've also read that exercise is a good way of getting rid of that excess adrenaline. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried exercise successfully - and what would you recommend? I used to run - but because running puts stress on my lower back and it's tight at the moment, i'd rather not do that just yet.

Thanks guys!
Ryan

nomorepanic
07-11-14, 21:55
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

IrishLondon
07-11-14, 21:57
Eeek....sorry Nicola!!

nomorepanic
07-11-14, 22:06
It's fine :-)

MrFriday
08-11-14, 01:11
I would just walk up and down the stairs. Once you get used to it, carry weights, whilst walking.

MyNameIsTerry
08-11-14, 08:57
Hi Ryan,

Walking will burn it off. Any level of exercise will. Adrenaline will metabolize but until then it causes all the remaining 'buzzing' anxiety. A good test is get up and walk around, the buzzing dies down or goes away but sit back down and you feel it again.

Even walking up and down the stairs will do it.

Deep breathing is also known to flush it out.

Make sure you are hydrated as well as you excrete it through urine if it doesn't metabolize so perhaps a bit of both helps?

Is it adrenaline though? Could it just be muscle soreness from all the tensing? Perhaps some Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) exercises would help? Or even some stretching or light warming up of those muscle areas with a specific exercise?

MrAndy
08-11-14, 14:21
Walking worked for me,a good hours walk would burn off any anxiety

unspoken
09-11-14, 18:05
I go for long walks at the weekends and try to go somewhere peaceful like a park or by a lake or river. Also try to use stairs rather than escalators or lifts and walk up hills briskly to get a bit out of breath without putting too much pressure on your body. At this time of year, I find it's dark by the time I finish work so not ideal for a long walk, but mornings, lunch breaks and weekends are a good time to get outside. When you're at home, do some leg stretches, try searching for leg stretches to relieve tight muscles. I find standing on a step facing up the stairs with my toes on the step and my heels off the step and lowering the heels (while holding onto something) helps stretch out my legs. Also lunge-type stretches can help.

swgrl09
09-11-14, 18:54
I like gentle yoga stretches after long days of sitting and working.

Carnation
09-11-14, 20:19
Walking worked best for me too. Somewhere not too stressful. Dancing is also good. The feeling in your thighs can be quite worrying and you may even feel a tender and sometimes a slight burning sensation. It can also affect the back area, but it goes away eventually. I looked at it as a repairing phase. Whether it is the nerves or muscles or the adrenalin, it is nothing to worry about. :)

IrishLondon
09-11-14, 20:35
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Im going to try to walk to work every day to see how that helps. It's about 45 minutes walk, so hopefully it should help a bit.

Thanks so much again

MyNameIsTerry
10-11-14, 08:22
Thats going to help you with your fitness, general health and sleep too mate so its worth doing.

You may also find you are more relaxed when you get to work (we tend to be rushing around which really sets us up for failure with anxiety disorders) and a bit more positive.