PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and swollen glands

lildude6666
07-11-14, 22:48
I am very worried at the moment as my groin nodes seem to be slightly raised, more so on the one side, i have been to the doctors and they said everything is fine. since i came back from the doctors 3 days ago i have been poking them constantly which i think may have irritated them hence making them slightly more swollen. i tend to worry alot and i recently kept looking online and the main thing it says is generalised lymph swelling is common in HIV. I have always been too scared to get a hiv test for like 3 and a half years. i put myself at risk 3 and a half years ago and since getting with my boyfriend i have been with knowone else as i do love him. I decided after so many years of anxiety to go for a rapid hiv test and the result came back as non reactive meaning negative. This cannot obviously be in relation to HIV as i have had a test way outside the window period and it came back negative. why am i still worrying when the doctor has siad things are fine and i am hiv negative. is one hiv test enough?

CleverLittleViper
07-11-14, 23:12
If you poke them constantly, of course they're going to be swollen!

Of course one HIV test is enough! Rapid tests are as accurate as standard lab tests, and they cannot ever produce a false negative. So if it comes back negative, it is because you ARE negative.

If you're GP is not concerned about the nodes, neither should you be. Nodes swell for all kinds of things, infection, obsessive prodding (:winks:) and I do believe they can swell in response to anxiety/stress.

Stop prodding them. They're fine. You do not have HIV, so wipe that fear from your mind.

Petesy
07-11-14, 23:24
Cleverlittleviper is right lildude

Viral infections can cause them to swell as other infections.. Common ones

I'm occasionally touching the nodes on my neck thinking one side of nodes are bigger than the other, it's the anxiety that's got me doing it and it can become habit forming for e.g checking pulse every so often that was my thing i broke that cycle..

Hope all is well

Try some relaxation music on YouTube I find this helps take my mind of things.

Petesy