PDA

View Full Version : Worried about tonsils

water
08-11-14, 03:25
A day ago I had a small sore throat it was wired since it stated at night and I usually have my sore throats In The morning so I looked in the mirror and there was a small whiteish bump in the back of my throat I was already scared of having something like this so I look it up like crazy and it looks like very mild tonsillitis I gargles salt water and the white went away and got a little small but today my tonsils got bigger and I have been gargling salt water and looking it up all day it's freaking me out I don't know what to do please help

.Poppy.
08-11-14, 14:43
Our mouths are dark and moist, and all sorts of things find their way in there at one time or another (things we eat, drink, and breathe in for example). Little mouth sores and irritations are common.

Keep in mind that tonsillitis is in no way deadly. Even if that's what it is, you'll be fine. If you had a bad case of it, you'd have more severe symptoms and your doctor would know what to do about it.

I'd bet that the area was irritated overnight - you may sleep with your mouth open and the air going through your throat is probably what causes your sore throats (happens to me). I also think that your stressing over it and constantly irritating it with salt water is the reason they still appear...well, irritated.

Unless you get a massive sore throat, or a fever, or body aches or anything else - believe that you are fine. And even if you do get those symptoms, remember, it's easy to sort out and again, you'll be fine :)

debs71
08-11-14, 18:01
Was the whitish bump solid or kind of like pus?

If it was solid, it could well have been a tonsil stone - little piece of solid debris that collects on our tonsils, and can irritate the tonsil. They are very, very common and nothing to worry about at all. Since the gargling helped get rid of it/reduce it, it sounds very much like it.......however:

If it WASN'T solid looking and looked more pus-like, well yes, it may be the start of a tonsillitis, but again, that is not a big deal. You are doing the best thing you can now - salt water gargles and chlorhexidine mouth washes both help enormously. Several times a day is best. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen also help with any pain you may have. Honey and lemon hot drinks also help a lot for sore throats, as does drinking LOTS of fluids to keep your throat hydrated.

Most sore throats are viral, so antibiotics won't work on them, but if your throat problems do continue and get worse, it may be bacterial and need them....only time will tell.

Often they are just momentary things borne from a dry throat, weather changes or allergies and will pass pretty soon.

Don't worry. Whatever the case, a solution is around. :hugs:

anthrokid
08-11-14, 23:52
Well you might very well have tonsillitis - which is NOT deadly - but can be very painful and can make you feel really sick. It might be a good idea to go to the doctor to get it checked, and then if it is tonsillitis they can prescribe some antibiotics to clear it up :)

MargaretHale
09-11-14, 15:45
I get tonsilitis a lot. It's really bloody sore but nothing to worry about. I always pop to my GP who usually gives me a prescription for antibiotics but most of the time it goes away on its own.