PDA

View Full Version : Suffering Depression?

karl
27-08-04, 17:58
Hi

for the following 3 months i have been suffering badly.

It started out of nowhere when i felt lightheaded, blurred vision and felt like i was about to collapse it slowly went away after about 10 minutes.

Since then i get all these symptoms all day long:-

no energy/feeling tired all the time and yawning alot
aches and pains
shaky hands
feeling shaky inside but nothing really to be seen on the outside.
feel like my throat is tight and that im about to choke at any minute.
pains sometimes at the back of head and feeling like someone is pushing on my head alot.
no motivation to do anything as i feel so bad cant even do housework or anything.
no emotional symptoms, ive never been an emotional person.

Ive had 2 full blood tests done, an ECG and urine sample nothing has been found, recently started worrying that ive got a nerve/brain disease that is going to waste me away even though im only 22 years old and my parents are still alive and healthy.
Wondering if i should have an MRI scan? the doc hasnt said anything or recommended it.
Keep being told by docs that im stressed/depressed suffering from generalized anxiety disorder etc. i just hope it is and not nothing like a brain disease.

I started taking cipralex 3 days ago and im hoping it will sort all these symptoms out as i do more excercise have changed my diet and do relaxation but havent seen any benefits, i seem alittle forgetful sometimes but nothing major but im so worried.
But i guess the docs think im depressed otherwise i wouldnt have been given an antidepressant.
I keep worrying about abrain disease and i dont know why am i too young for that and as i have no family history of it what are my chances, i guess i only think this as i only have physical symptoms not emotional and it came from nowhere and ive been ill everyday ever since, and theres nothing in my life that could have caused it, apart from i was really stressed out the day i first got that attack and i had 5 months of bad pain with my wisdom teeth which were causing cheekbone/head pain apart from that no major life changes and no mood swings or anything, someone please give me some advice or if they think im suffering from anxiety or depression.

tara
27-08-04, 19:06
Hi Karl, sorry to hear your having a bad time of it at the moment. I understand that it must be an unsettling time for you, having to cope with these symptoms daily. You've had blood tests, ecg's and unrine tests and these came back fine, so theres one thing to be positive about. If your doctor has given you cipralex he must have a feeling that you have depression, anxiety ect, but please don't worry about it, your young fit and healthy and you my only need a short course of this medication to sort things out for you. I also take cipralex for my depression and anxiety and I found that it has worked great for me. Take Care ..........Tara xx

sal
27-08-04, 19:14
Hi Karl

Welcome to the site. Sorry you are having such a rough time at the moment. It is quite common for anxiety suffers to imagine there is something seriously wrong especially like brain disease, tumor etc, as we have no reasoning why it is happening to us.

Your doctor has reassured you by your test results, and it is good he has done that for you, as some would offer tablets straight away. The medication takes time to work and can be very beneficial. I hope they work for you and get you back on to the right track.

Keep in touch.

Love Sal xxxxx

seh1980
27-08-04, 22:23
hello karl,

We've all suffered those symptoms at some point so you're not alone. I'm sure that once the meds start to work, you will feel much better!!

Sarah :D

Peter
28-08-04, 00:05
Hi Karl,

Welcome to the site, like Sarah said we've all touched on those symptoms to some extent. I think taking exercise and changing the diet can have a positive impact if you really think you need it, however the changes you expect somethimes can take time, so be patient and try not to be too hard on yourself.
P

sal
29-08-04, 22:57
Hi Karl

Brought this one back up as replied to it before and after reading your recent post, knew i had replied and didnt want to waffle again.

Hope you are coping ok and realise how much support you will get on here. Sorry didnt reply to last post but was similar and knew i had replied to you before.

Hope the medication is starting to work, but it does take time, thats the worst part about it, the waiting game.

Good luck.

Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
29-08-04, 23:07
Hi Karl,

I see loads of posts from you so will will be brief on this one .

Al your symptoms are extremely common with anxiety.

Cipralex is licenced for anxiety as well as depression so he may not automatically think you have both . It can take about 4 weeks to start to work well .

An MRI is not necessary .

#apart from i was really stressed out the day i first got that attack# Thats all it takes , what were you really stresed out about before the attack ??

Please read First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942) and go through that to see what you can implement .

Take care ...

It is highly unlikely you have a brain disease as there are certain specific symptoms that are common that you haven't mentioned even in passing ..

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

karl
31-08-04, 20:33
Hi Meg

thanks for your reply.

The reason i got really stressed out befoe thar first panic attack ws co my partners windscreen cracked and the insurance company wouldnt fix it and i was away on holiday at the time at my parents and i gt so mad for about half an hour i totally lost my rag but ive always reacted in that way to things that heppen but not long after that i came over all weird and ive been il ever since, but the fact that i was in severe pain and hurting badly in my head and cheekbone area due to my wisdom teeth this went on for months and they have only recently been taken out.

Thanks.

seh1980
31-08-04, 21:26
hi Karl,

It's always little incidents like that that trigger panic attacks and anxiety, huh? Now that you have managed to get through it once, you will be better prepared next time!!

Sarah :D

sal
31-08-04, 23:45
Hi Karl

Sometimes it is the minor incidents that knock us of balance, and it is quite common. It is usually a build up of stressful incidents then that little one comes along and it all goes pear shaped.

How are you feeling now hon. It isnt easy when you first suffer as the newness of it is so frightening but hopefully you will see on the site that how you feel is all anxiety related and you can get support and great advice on here.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
01-09-04, 15:40
Pure stress overload Karl.
Anger will stimulate adrenaline rushes too which is why you felt so awful.. think of road rage incidents. Most come from an adrenaline rush.

You may be someone who actively needs to learn to relax and control your anger .

Is your mouthfree from pain now ?

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

karl
01-09-04, 20:22
Meg

Yes my mouth is free from pain now they were taken out about 4 weeks ago.

Weirdly enough my mouth was hurting really badly for months but after i had my first panic attack my pain wasnt there at all and the 4 wisdom teeth were removed and they didnt even cause me any pain afterwards which was good lol.

Thanks for your reply Meg.