PDA

View Full Version : Mammogram recall letter - panic set in

Georgie14
09-11-14, 12:37
Hi - I posted here a few years ago and at that time I had a similar issue. So, two weeks ago I went for a mammogram. I almost didn't go because I knew the panic it would send me in. However in the end I went and haven't slept very well ever since. I've also had terrible IBS. Anyway, yesterday morning I got the dreaded recall letter, 'we would like to invite you for another assessment' etc. I can't tell you how anxious I am - I literally cannot function at the moment. To top it all I am due to start jury service tomorrow morning - the same week I have to go for another assessment so I will have to make some calls tomorrow. I could really do with someone to talk to. I'm so stressed and worried.:weep:

Annie0904
09-11-14, 12:48
You have to remember that the majority of women who get recall letters are because the images have not been clear enough for the doctor to be able to assess them. Also the majority of any abnormalities found are benign. I can imagine though that this will be a huge worry for you.
Could you call whoever it is you need to call about the jury service and tell them your situation? They may be able to make some allowances for you. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Georgie14
09-11-14, 12:56
Thanks Annie, so sweet of you to respond. I'm going to the courts tomorrow but before I leave I will call the clinic and see if they can get me in a bit sooner. The jury service has been 'booked' for a year and I've deferred a couple of times so I'm worried about what they will say. My other worry is with my health anxiety and thinking about Friday's appointment I'm not sure how good a juror I will be. I'm a single parent and my son lost his dad at an early age (no siblings) so I worry a lot about him. I think this is why my health anxiety started. When something like this happens I'm literally like a quivering mouse. Then I think does my negative thinking make these things happen? I've been 100% sure I would get a call back. I even had a dream about the letter. It's just so distressing.

Lin71
09-11-14, 14:31
Hi, I was in a really similar situation in January, waiting for test results and hospital appointments during my jury service, which I'd also deferred already! Please don't worry about not being a 'good' juror, I actually found that once I got on an interesting case it totally took my mind off my other worries which was brilliant! BUT, there is a LOT of waiting about and it can all get very boring while you're waiting to be called. Take a book or chat to the other jurors to keep your mind off things otherwise you will find yourself with a lot of 'thinking/dwelling/obsessing' time!
If you let the breast clinic know you'd be prepared to take a cancellation you could always, dare I say it, call in sick for jury service, if you're not on a case it won't be the end of the world. People called in sick when I did it and they've always got too many people.
Fingers crossed your recall is nothing to worry about xx

Georgie14
09-11-14, 16:14
Aww thanks Linz, it's so nice being on here and chatting to like minded people. I'm going to call the clinic in the morning and let them know my situation. I just have this heightened state of anxiety at the moment. I feel really spaced out and nauseous. I can't seem to enjoy life because of constant health worry and when something 'real' happens like this it is literally my worst nightmare. If I allow myself to think positive I feel like I'm not going to be prepared for the worst.

Annie0904
09-11-14, 17:28
There are positives in everything so it is important that you try to rationalise the situation and change every negative thought into a positive one :)

Georgie14
09-11-14, 17:44
Good advice Annie, I just find it really difficult. I hate myself for it. :mad:It's been ruining my life for the last ten years.

Lin71
09-11-14, 22:23
I'm the same, I find it very hard to be positive and optimistic in these situations because I have it in my mind that if I'm in any way 'blasé' about it then I will deserve to have a bad outcome... Doesn't make sense I know because your thoughts and attitude cannot influence the result of a medical test but that's just how my mind works...:wacko:
Hope everything goes ok for you x

Catherine S
09-11-14, 23:24
Hi Georgie....you mentiones in your origional post that you had the same thing happen a few years ago, so you must have been ok that time. I would think its the same this time. Some boobs are better than others to x-ray believe it or not. They always have trouble with mine and seem to spend aaaages getting each boob into the correct position to x-ray! I hate it as its always uncomfortable and have had recalls a few times over the years which amounted to nothing. I'm sure its the same for you. Its easy to say don't worry because you will, but i'll say it anyway :)

ISB x

Georgie14
10-11-14, 08:20
You are all so lovely and supportive. I know what you mean Linz, that's exactly my thought. It's as though I have to torture my self with the worst possible scenario because if I think positive I am going to put a little 'curse' on myself to have a bad outcome. It's difficult to explain. 'I still believe' I had a routine mammogram a few years ago which was clear then a couple of months later I went back with a little lump, it turned out to be nothing but they sent for me after six months for another ultrasound then didn't send for me again - so this is my second 3 year mammogram. I was actually sick this morning with nerves. I woke up in the early hours of the morning feeling petrified. I wish I could get a grip but I'm on jury service shortly so I'm hoping I can keep my mind occupied - for a few hours anyway. Thank you all so much.:hugs:

pulisa
10-11-14, 09:21
Georgie, it's totally understandable that you should be feeling this way and it's happened at the worst possible time for you. I'd advise you to get on to the clinic straightaway and get yourself an appointment asap. At least then you'll know what the "problem" is if indeed there is one? If you're anything like me you won't be able to concentrate on anything else at all until you are in control and know all the facts.

Sending you warmest wishes

Annie0904
10-11-14, 12:16
Hi...How did your jury service goes? It is so hard to concentrate on anything think else when you are so worried and anxious so it is not good timing for you :( Hopefully you will get the second mammogram and results soon to put your mind at ease. :hugs::hugs:

Georgie14
10-11-14, 14:47
Hi Annie, nothing much happened on the jury service. A lot of sitting around, an induction and various 'talks'. I was nearly put on a long trial but got out of it because one of the defendants lives near my father! They sent us home early.

I spoke to the jury officer and she said it's fine to keep my appointment for Friday and we'll take it from there. I'm going to stick to Friday because if I hang around waiting for the phone to ring for a cancellation it might make things more problematic. I know I'm not going to eat or sleep very well this week but it's the situation I'm in so I will have to try and deal with it unfortunately. Thanks for your support.:hugs:

Canbud
11-11-14, 02:11
Gawd I hate that. When I got my last mammo I actually phoned the breast screening clinic later in the day and asked them if they'd send a letter or phone, should I need to come back. She said they would phone.

That's the way they should do it! Way to make us worry, boob people. :mad:

Georgie14
11-11-14, 08:40
Lol! Thanks Canbud, that really gave me a morning laugh. Just what I needed.:D

Georgie14
14-11-14, 15:38
Hi ladies, just a quick update. I went for my consultation this morning and I was feeling extremely anxious as you can imagine. Apparently I have something called calcification in one of my breasts. I had various 'pictures' taken and a biopsy. I have to go back for the results next Wednesday when they will tell me if they are benign or if they need to take them out i.e pre-cancerous. I am so glad I have been for my mammograms and they are aware of the changes in my breast. I can't say I'm no longer anxious but I feel better now I know what is happening.

By the way, I rang the jury officer and explained what had happened and she has taken me off her list so I can deal with this - meaning my jury service is finished. Thank you all for responding to my post - it meant a lot.:hugs:

Canbud
14-11-14, 16:04
I wish it had been an all-clear Georgie, but the second best thing s catching something like that really early, as you've done.

Darn boobs anyway, eh?