PDA

View Full Version : Vivid Imagination

.Poppy.
10-11-14, 14:30
I've had this issue for years. I've always had a pretty good imagination but sometimes I imagine things and it really kind of scares me. It's always the same stuff- people, or for some reason, ghosts.

For example, I was walking my dog in our yard last night and I just thought to myself "what if there was a man standing on the road". And I pictured it in my head and got scared. Or I was lying in bed later that night and thought "what if a man or even a ghost came through the doorway" and again, pictured it and got scared.

When I was younger, it was a fear that someone was going to come into my house when I was home alone. Now it's sometimes a fear of actual people, but for some reason I'm also afraid of ghosts. I KNOW there's not a ghost in my house, but it's like I just imagine there is one and manage to still get worked up about it.

It's not like I actually see or hear these things, but I can imagine them fairly vividly. Sometimes I just ignore it; other times it sends me rushing back inside or I'll sleep with my light on.

There are times when I'm especially prone to this and other times where it doesn't affect me at all. I don't watch scary movies or overly scary shows (like Criminal Minds - that show gets me especially) because I'm afraid it will "give me ideas" and sort of fuel the fire.

It scares me in the moment, but then I also wonder if I'm somehow paranoid or going crazy which scares me too. I try not to dwell on it too much, but certainly this isn't normal?

Oosh
10-11-14, 19:28
It's completely normal, a combination of your personality type and innate fears we all have.

I'm a visualiser. I've always had a powerful imagination. All my life I've recognised the power of imagination and perspective. I can make myself as high as a kite by visualising things. But I can also see things in negative ways that shake me instantly. I can absolutely scare the crap out of myself by visualising scary things like ghosts and intruders. In a dark building at night I'm one thought away from picturing something being on the other side of a door (for eg) or remembering a scene from a horror movie and giving myself the serious creeps. And I see myself as good at this !

It's all about managing what you focus on. I simply don't visualise those things. I don't allow my mind to wander onto those subjects.
And if I DID, I'd quickly work to take all its power away by seeing it in a way that takes the fear out of it or makes fun of it then I'm taking a mental detour onto safe subjects as fast as possible and forgetting.

There are also innate fears we all have, like your intruder fears, which are completely natural.
Eg a study was done on New York children on what they have nightmares about. They had nightmares about monsters. But they'd spent their whole, short lives in the city and never encountered monsters.

In reality monsters =predators like bears and wolves who in our past killed humans on a regular basis. These fears about monsters and intruders are built into us and you can very easily and naturally find yourself monitoring for dangers like these. In the past that would serve you well because being vigilant of these things could save your life.

Intruders is a real modern day danger. But you can take normal precautions and forget it knowing you're safe.

Then just manage what your imagination focuses on. It's YOUR imagination. You can use it for whatever you choose to.

Next time you visualise an intruder etc picture all its clothes falling off revealing the stupidest underwear ever. It makes a funny high pitched scream, covers up in embarrassment and runs away as fast as it can . But all the neighbourhood dogs hear it and tens of them chase it out of the neighbourhood as it does little Homer Simpson screams.

Have fun with it. You can see whatever you want.

.Poppy.
11-11-14, 01:53
Thanks, Oosh. You made something that has scared me seem like a cool super power :)

I always used to tell people I was very good at lying to myself. I just had the ability to make myself feel excited or happy or sad based on what I chose to focus on. I guess that's another super power we share.

I tested it out tonight when I took the dog out. I started thinking "what if...." again, but instead of it being a scary man or a ghost I imagined it was someone really interesting, not dangerous, but someone I could talk to or befriend. It felt like a good beginning to a story, and I've always loved stories and making up stories, so before I knew it I was distracted by this hypothetical character's backstory and how he got here and all of that. And the fear was gone!

Thanks again for not making me feel like I was crazy. It's normal to be wary of intruders, but fearing ghosts at 23 had me concerned!