PDA

View Full Version : Had chest X-Ray done and feeling quite nervous

enekomh
10-11-14, 17:40
Hi,
I had been with cough for a month and my GP sent me to do chest x-ray. The thing is that the GP told me that if there was something important they would tell me instantly (which they haven't. Just that it would take the results 7 to 10 days to get to my GP) but on the other side, I've read in some post in the forum that they're not allowed to tell me anything if they see something because they might not be qualified for guessing what's on the picture.
How long would it take for the GP to contact me if they actually found something?
I'm thinking about making an appointment with the GP for next week and see what happens.
In my family there's only been a case of cancer (my grandpa died of lung cancer after having metastasis of a different tumour at the age of 87, so rather related to age than other factors) and I quit smoking over 4 years ago (though I've read that you have to wait 5 years to be actually clean of any tobacco related traces) plus I'm asthmatic which could extend any breathing related illness a bit longer but as I'm quite an hypochondriac (funny how I didn't have any other symptoms until I started looking for them on the internet) I don't know what to do and the anxiety is starting to get a bit high.

almamatters
10-11-14, 17:44
Hi I have had 4 chest X - Rays , twice been told there and then that they were fine and the other times waited for my results to be sent to the GP, one took a couple of days and the other about a week, they were all clear . I know people that have been diagnosed with serious illnesses and they always say that they were told very quickly . It's not easy I know but I hope you can distract yourself until you get your results. :)

cmclarke
10-11-14, 17:46
#1 rule, do not go on the internet for symptoms! CYBERCHONDRIA

I've been where you are. Cough turned out to be a nervous cough for me.
Anxiety can make you short of breath too. Please trust your doctors. I know the waiting game is hard.

What helped me was exercise and therapy and lexapro. (i thought I was dying for 3 months straight of ALS, MS< brain tumor, you name it. I had tons of tests including brain ct scan, spine scan, chest xray, that muscle twitch test.)

Here's a mantra "it's only a thought, and a thought can be changed". Believe that you are fine, and you will be. Stress, health anxiety is a vicious circle. The more stress, the more physical symptoms the more worry.

If you had lung cancer they would not wait to tell you. you are fine! How old are you?

enekomh
10-11-14, 18:01
#1 rule, do not go on the internet for symptoms! CYBERCHONDRIA

I've been where you are. Cough turned out to be a nervous cough for me.
Anxiety can make you short of breath too. Please trust your doctors. I know the waiting game is hard.

What helped me was exercise and therapy and lexapro. (i thought I was dying for 3 months straight of ALS, MS< brain tumor, you name it. I had tons of tests including brain ct scan, spine scan, chest xray, that muscle twitch test.)

Here's a mantra "it's only a thought, and a thought can be changed". Believe that you are fine, and you will be. Stress, health anxiety is a vicious circle. The more stress, the more physical symptoms the more worry.

If you had lung cancer they would not wait to tell you. you are fine! How old are you?
Thanks for your advice. I'll try to focus on other things (damn it, I shouldn't have started dieting this weekend, now I cannot even treat myself :roflmao: ). I'm 31 btw.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Hi I have had 4 chest X - Rays , twice been told there and then that they were fine and the other times waited for my results to be sent to the GP, one took a couple of days and the other about a week, they were all clear . I know people that have been diagnosed with serious illnesses and they always say that they were told very quickly . It's not easy I know but I hope you can distract yourself until you get your results. :)
Thanks for your help. I guess I'm fine with a slight pneumonia or something like that...

chickpea
10-11-14, 19:19
My son recently had a chest x Ray, because he was tachycardic without any sign of a chest infection.
The x Ray was looked at by a doctor straight away and it was obvious (even to me) he had a chest infection (couldn't actually see his heart!), so we were given antibiotics straight away and an appointment to be seen again in a fortnight.
At the follow up appointment, we were told that after we left the hospital previously, a radiographer had then read the x ray and picked up a concern (to do with a particular area of infection) , so he had to have a repeat x Ray - and I would get a call in a few days, after it was read by a radiographic, if there was still an issue.