PDA

View Full Version : High blood pressure reading :(

GirlAfraid23
10-11-14, 17:56
Another worry to add to the list.
I just had my blood pressure taken by the nurse for my pill prescription. The lowest reading out of five attempts was 143/85, my heart rate was also elevated at 100 bpm.
She asked me if I was anxious (stupid question!) and obviously I said I was. She said I need to relax. But it's so hard when the person taking your blood pressure says "that's higher than I expect for your age" or "let's try that again". I've never had to take a reading more than once before so it really scared me. I wouldn't consider myself overweight...maybe a tiny but but nothing major. Because of being on the pill, I'm concerned about my risk for clots etc.

Fishmanpa
10-11-14, 18:08
It's called "white coat syndrome" and not unusual nor concerning.

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
10-11-14, 18:56
More likely than not, it's down to anxiety.

Last time I was sick, with the flu, I went into the doc and the nurse took my BP and pulse. He made so many comments about how my blood pressure was slightly elevated and my pulse was quite a bit higher than it should be. He made such a show of it that I was nervous for a second - but then I remembered that I was sick and a bit weak, and just walking back to the exam room was a workout that took effort - no wonder my pulse was high!

Anxiety can absolutely raise BP. And if you have health anxiety, sometimes just a doctor or a doctor's visit can trigger the anxiety, which in turn raises BP. Which is basically what Fishmanpa said :)

GirlAfraid23
10-11-14, 19:10
Ok thanks for the replies guys.

I just feel quite drained all the time :( I'm worried this is a symptom. Should I stop my pill?
I've just ordered a BP monitor from amazon :/

nomorepanic
10-11-14, 19:16
Did they suggest you get a BP monitor as it is not a good idea for some people as they become obsessed with taking it all the time?

You need to talk to the doctor about stopping the pill

GirlAfraid23
10-11-14, 20:20
Did they suggest you get a BP monitor as it is not a good idea for some people as they become obsessed with taking it all the time?

You need to talk to the doctor about stopping the pill

Do you think I should come off it then? She took my BP today and still sorted our a prescription for me with no questions asked.

No they didn't suggest it, but I thought if I do have white coat syndrome, it will help me to get a proper reading when I'm calm.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Really panicky tonight :(

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

I thought I was over HA. Hate this.

Sunflower2
10-11-14, 20:27
Well I've had similar reactions from doctors and I'm completely fine!

I had to get my blood pressure retested before they would actually give me the pill in the first place!
Plus I had to get tested for a heap of stuff because my heart rate was over 100 and it refused to come down because I was just too anxious at the doctors! I even had to have blood tests redone because they were out of range, and even then I was still fine, it was because it was the wrong time of day for an accurate reading!
And I was about 19 when both of these things happened too. You're in a situation which naturally creates anxiety, making your body react to the nervous feelings. Completely normal!

Liziik
10-11-14, 20:55
My doctor did a test for me once he took his own blood pressure which was normal then he made himself anxious faster breathing (but not so much to be noticeable) he made himself panic the reading would be high! And then when he tested again it was high! Amazing and really helped me.
In my opinion you shouldn't have bought the blood pressure machine I don't think it's going to help your anxiety at all. I don't even have a thermometer otherwise I check my temp religiously :(

Fishmanpa
10-11-14, 21:45
I really recommend canceling the order from Amazon. Having that device will only perpetuate the OCD tendency to check your BP and I guarantee you'll be posting here with worries about the readings and will be taking it obsessively. Besides, they're not as accurate as what a medical professional. Do not stop your medication without the advice from your doctor!

Positive thoughts

GirlAfraid23
10-11-14, 21:45
I'm worried I'll have a stroke or blood clot in the night and die in my sleep :(

eeesh
10-11-14, 21:46
I really recommend canceling the order from Amazon. Having that device will only perpetuate the OCD tendency to check your BP and I guarantee you'll be posting here with worries about the readings and will be taking it obsessively. Besides, they're not as accurate as what a medical professional. Do not stop your medication without the advice from your doctor!

Positive thoughts

Sound advice. If you already suffer from HA it is a terrible idea ordering something like that.

GirlAfraid23
10-11-14, 21:50
Sound advice. If you already suffer from HA it is a terrible idea ordering something like that.

Bit isn't it better if I'm at home and calm to get a real reading?

eeesh
10-11-14, 21:55

Does neurotically checking your BP several times a day, getting paranoid over slight fluctautions, sound like fun?

Fishmanpa
10-11-14, 22:06

No. It will become an obsession and source of added stress. You BP was on the slightly high side and not alarming by any means. You were nervous and stressed and that's why. Your post is seeking advice and reassurance. I hope you heed it.

Positive thoughts

kivyt73
11-11-14, 01:25
You should really take everyone's advice and cancel the bp monitor. I spent about three years obsessively checking my blood pressure for absolutely no reason. I based all of my happiness on that number and would check it and check it until I got the magic number I wanted which for me was 115/75 or lower. I don't have high bp and if your heart rate was elevated that is an indication of anxiety. I don't think you need to worry about the stopping the pill either. In my case, stopping the pill caused my bp to spike which lead to the obsession. For me the pill stabilizes my hormones which decreases my anxiety and therefore my bp. When I went off of it my bp was spiking everywhere because my anxiety was spiking as well. Let your doctor handle all of this, let them monitor your bp and prescribe your pills as they see fit. They would not give them to you if you were at any risk. Trust me, don't waste years of your life worrying about your bp the way I did. I still don't have high bp and I still take birth control pills and I am now 41 years old. Worrying about your bp will not improve it that is for sure.
Good luck,
Ivy