PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety symptoms and worrying about work

Carl88
10-11-14, 19:32
Hi all, just signed up here, this is my story. I am 25, up until march 2013 I was so laid back and never knew what stress or anxiety was capable of. Only time I ever felt any worries was when I was hungover. Last march I had a health scare which then led to strange feelings in my stomach and eventually led to me feeling really strange and fuzzy. Was sure I had a serious illness. At the end of May I left work to go to A and E and was told it was just anxiety, even though I knew it was all just the stress of a few months health anxiety I felt no better the next day at work, felt like I was floating and detatched so had to leave again and went straight to hospital. Again they said it's just anxiety so I came home explained it all tiny parents which was a relief and took a week off work and felt better.

When I went back on nightshift early June I would wake up in panic attacks on a morning even though I was relaxed I think it was just from been on high alert for months previous. However with the help of a good therapist and beta blockers I was back to my old self by the end of June and thought that was it.

I work long hard tiring 12 hour shifts days and nights in a job that I have been at for 6 years, which gets me down nowadays but I just get on with it best I can for now as I have something else lined up for next year fingers crossed so only got couple more months to get though. Always wanted to leave on my own terms after been there for 6 years and give a lot to it. Last week though I recieved a final warning for absence/ lateness which has me feeling pressured and afraid of being off again and getting sacked which has me feeling tension in my head, nausea and restlessness as well as not sleeping great. I have had that a few times this year about the thought of work but using what I learned last year I can manage it just and when actually at work I feel ok, it's more the thought of it that's gets me stressed.

Thinking of going back to therapy or the doctor for first time since last June as altough it passes in a few days it has happened too often this year for my liking and don't like having to deal with this every other month on my own.

Especially been on a final warning and not having the option for time off work which helped a lot last year. If I'm off with anxiety again I would be sacked and that is a horrible thought for me. Definitely think last summers experience had made me more sensitive to stress and worries than I was before

Sorry for long post but any help tips be appreciated thanks

MrAndy
10-11-14, 19:56
Hi Carl
They can't sack you for being ill so don't worry about work.Go back to your GP and tell him how you feel.Asking for help is astep towards recovery,have you read paul David's book ? http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html

Carl88
10-11-14, 20:04
Hi thanks for the response. Even though I'm on a final warning for absence? Would I have any rights if I was sacked for been off with anxiety? Don't think it would happen but would take a lot of pressure off me knowing I could take a week off if I really needed it. No haven't heard of that will have a look.

Like i say I have gone the whole year without any therapy or going to the doctors or anything once. April, June, August and a couple of times in the last few weeks I have felt on edge on my days off about going back to work but it passes. Just feels a bit more overwhelming this time from when I got that final warning last week. Due back in tomorrow night and last night I had tension round my head and woke a couple times in the night and felt nauseaous and restless when I woke this morning but feel slightly better now.

Feels nowhere near as bad as last summer when it started as I didn't know what it was then so worrying made it worse . This time I know it's just a bit anxiety so can just about manage it but it can't be any way to be living at 25 having spells like this. Just feel like I would benefit from having someone to talk about things with a few times a month

MrAndy
10-11-14, 20:28
If your doctor gives you a sick note you are covered for work,anxiety is an illness.
Try your local rethink.org for therapy you can self refer on the website

Carl88
10-11-14, 20:49
Thanks will have a look at that also. I don't want to have a sick note as I am on a final warning for absence so I am of the understanding if I am off for any reason I will be sacked.

The other times I felt like this in the year I managed it myself till it was time for work again as I work 4 days/ nights on 4 off. So more than likely I will feel ok again tomorrow for a few weeks but then if I carry on in my job like this it will only be a matter of time till I feel anxious again and it is no way to be going on long term.

From June 2013 to this April I was perfect, then the thought of work one morning had me chewed up again, had to ring in and say I was ill and sit in the car and was shaking that was the first time this year and similar has happened a few times since then but no real panic attacks and only lasted 1-3 days.

Live at home and don't mention it to my mam and dad as don't think they would help an just think i want out of my job and they would go mad if I got sacked which has me under pressure too.

MrAndy
10-11-14, 20:52
It sounds like counselling or therapy would really help you,don't be afraid to get signed off by the doctor work can't touch you if you have a sick note
Good luck

Carl88
10-11-14, 21:47
Thanks for the reply really appreciated and yeah will just use all the relaxation techniques I know and just accept I'm a bit anxious and should feel better tomorrow when I get into work, will just take a week at a time and yeah bit of therapy would benefit me I think just knowing I have someone to talk to face to face. As like i say I can handle it most the time on my own but knowing there is someone to talk to is always a relief for the tense times.

I'm not sure about how i stand on that, seen as I am on a final warning even if I had a sick note I'm sure you can still be sacked as they have followed the warning procedure.

Going to do my best from now to have no time off just is bit of pressure I could of done without been on a final warning.

To be fair I have been there too long 6 years and should of got myself out of there by now as it has been affecting me on and off for the last 18 months and with every shift been 12 hours it isn't easy at all