PDA

View Full Version : Slightly elevated WBC? Anyone else?

tan235
11-11-14, 01:32
So I went and got all my blood tests done :
liver, kidney, CRP, CBC, Ferritian and something else.

Anyway all was normal but my WBC was 11.6 - Nurse told me 11.1 is normal.

No one has told me anything else.

She said it's probably a slight infection.

That's it?
Do I need to find out more, has anyone else has this and Dr didn't seem fazed.
I expected to hear ' we need to take it again in a few weeks,' but nothing!

Thanks in advance...

T

---------- Post added at 01:32 ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 ----------

Anyone?

.Poppy.
11-11-14, 02:07
That's so minimal it's not even worth mentioning. It's also possible that number is your normal.

Your blood count could be up (again: it's slight!) for any number of things, harmless things. Could be just that you came into contact with some sort of virus or bacteria and your body is fighting it off - quickly and easily.

It's really nothing at all to worry about. If they were concerned, they'd have you get retested. Don't fall into the cycle - let yourself believe them, and breathe!

Best wishes :)

Canbud
11-11-14, 02:07
That's what a slightly elevated WBC typically means. Have you been ill?

tan235
11-11-14, 02:15
I've been feeling off for months but my daughter always has a cold at the moment.
So nothing major but yes - hence getting tests.

Bad bloating, - but really stressed in general - thanks for replying x

Fishmanpa
11-11-14, 02:27
That's it?

That's it...

Positive thoughts

tan235
11-11-14, 02:53
My Dr just rung and told me I could re take in a month so I feel better about that. (And scared it will be higher!)

eeesh
11-11-14, 09:30
Blood counts are scale based. So anything that falls within a certain range is considered normal. This is not set in stone and there is some variation between practitioners as to what is O.K.

Your results could be your baseline, or they could slightly higher. This is why you could take another test, as then they get a better indication of what your 'normal' is. A single blood test taken on its own is not going to indicate much in this sense so it is a good idea to get another just so you future practitioners have an idea of what your bloods look like in general.

Such a small increase though does not indicate anything sinister.

Junot
11-11-14, 16:44
I've been having sligthly increased WBC counts for the past 5 years or more. Doctors have never worried about it. Apparently emotional stress (such as anxiety) can increase WBC counts.

tan235
12-11-14, 02:05
I did read that stress can cause high WBC ... not surprisingly this is what's making me ok about it as these last 2 years for me were awful - custody, divorce etc etc....

Good advice though on baseline.
As I said everything else was perfect so I too doubt it's anything sinister but you know how we can question everything and think the worst! ;)