PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks at new job (at least I think they are) with dizziness

fedup36
11-11-14, 16:04
Hi all

I use to live on this website.... I had a period of about 2 months over the summer where I actually felt like me again and I think that was down to some great therapy and distraction...

I started a new job on Monday and it seems to of triggered my anxiety...

Today I've had all weird dizziness and my eyes can't seem to focus on anything.
It seems to just come and go... I get horrible waves of just dread and feeling like something awful is going to happen. I've also been having a weird sensation in my ears where they feel like there blocked. The problem is I've heard people say there ears and eyes go funny before three faint and this really freaks me out :(

I'm sure a fair few of you know I've had every test under the sun but I'm still worried something bad is happening :(

I don't want this to ruin my new career and I'm so scared at how it's effecting me as it's also affecting me when I drive.

Any advice would be most appreciated...

nomorepanic
11-11-14, 16:11
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

helenclaire
11-11-14, 18:06
I have been getting the same symptoms on and off for 14 years and every time I think i am going to faint, needless to say I never have, so I think it is highly unlikely I will, it doesn't stop the worry though. X

unspoken
11-11-14, 22:17
Hyperventilating can cause dizziness if you're not getting enough air. Have you tried breathing exercises? I believe you're unlikely to faint if you are sitting down so it shouldn't be a problem at all while driving, although obviously, if you feel really bad, pull over somewhere safe.

It is normal to feel anxious in a new job and people will be expecting this. Keep reminding yourself that it is normal anxiety, as opposed to 'irrational' anxiety.

fedup36
12-11-14, 11:49
Thanks guys...

I have been diagnosed with chronic hyperventilation so I wonder if that's just got worse due to the new job...

I hate the dizziness though... I almost feel like it it was sickness or something else I could deal with it but it's the unknown of being dizzy that I really don't like :(

I haven't ever really been taught any breathing exercises - only breathing out!!

hanshan
12-11-14, 12:14
My experience is that the feeling that "something bad is happening" is simply anxiety looking for somewhere to go. It will latch on to something - health, work, relationships - you name it. And pretty soon you think you have cancer, an awful job, a hopeless relationship ... When in fact anxiety is making an ordinary situation seem pretty dire.

For me, the key is to recognize that anxiety is the problem, and work on that.

PunkyFish
15-11-14, 20:42
Hi all

I use to live on this website.... I had a period of about 2 months over the summer where I actually felt like me again and I think that was down to some great therapy and distraction...

I started a new job on Monday and it seems to of triggered my anxiety...

Today I've had all weird dizziness and my eyes can't seem to focus on anything.
It seems to just come and go... I get horrible waves of just dread and feeling like something awful is going to happen. I've also been having a weird sensation in my ears where they feel like there blocked. The problem is I've heard people say there ears and eyes go funny before three faint and this really freaks me out :(

I'm sure a fair few of you know I've had every test under the sun but I'm still worried something bad is happening :(

I don't want this to ruin my new career and I'm so scared at how it's effecting me as it's also affecting me when I drive.

Any advice would be most appreciated...

Hello

I had anxiety to a point where I didn't want to leave the house but luckly medication and some therapy got me back on track to a point where I felt normal with little or no anxiety for a good few months. However when I started a new job my anxiety hit me in the face and I too experienced similar symptoms. The first few days were the worst. I didn't sleep at night and was worrying non-stop. I would cry at lunch time and on my breaks in work (despite my colleagues being nice to me!). Every morning and night I would feel a dread as if something horrible was going to happen. It's one of the worst feelings in the world especially for just a job!

For me the feeling got lesser as the days and weeks go on. I did push myself though in the first few weeks as I didn't want to ruin my career and I badly needed this job to work out for me. I'm not going to lie it's tough and there were times when I just wanted to quit but I got through it. Good luck and all the best. :)

puffinspace
16-11-14, 05:52
Hi I am very sympathetic to this. Just typed a long reply and then somehow lost it....but anyway, had this in my early days of last job, was about to resign and walk out there and then, but got through that bad day somehow and it was a totally different story the next. Getting through it made me feel more confident the next day. But I have to say, I feel like I would not manage without the buffer of knowing I can take a tranquiliser if I have a panic attack. I know that's not ideal, but it's what gets me through life cursed by panic!

fedup36
20-11-14, 09:45
Hi thank you for your lovely replies...
My panics seem to be hitting me as soon as I walk through the door in work but also in the evenings...
I'm sat here right now and I keep getting horrible surreal moments where I feel like I'm floating and dizzy zaps where I get split second tingles in my arms and hands. Each time I worry something is building up and something bad is going to happen to me here :(

I am really struggling and not sure what to do or whether to tell anyone!?