PDA

View Full Version : Claire Weekes method experiences

Pebble
03-01-07, 18:58
Hi all,

I am a recovering agoraphobic and have been using what I think is the anxious persons bible - Claire Weekes book "Self Help for Your Nerves". Or any of the books/cds etc I think they are all really good.

When I get anxious it can make me feel sick, dizzy and tense stomach so my main fear of going out is because I fear feeling/being sick, dizziness, stomach ache/upset stomach. I have started going out locally using the Claire Weekes method of trying to face and accept the symptoms at their worst.

Sometimes I am able to accept the symptoms when they feel bad, I am getting better at accepting them locally, but its that final push of accepting them 100% whereever I am which I find difficult when feeling sick, retching or feeling really rough away from home. I have good days and bad days of being able to accept.

I am getting gradually better, and I know that I'll eventually overcome the fear of these symptoms, I am making a slow progress.

Has anyone else had experience of using the Claire Weekes method, and how have you got on? Have you been able to accept your anxiety symptoms however bad they feel? Do you have any tips for that complete and utter acceptance?.

Thanks!,
Pebs.
x

henri
03-01-07, 19:29
Hi Pebble,

I do not suffer from agoraphobia - i suffer more from anxiety, mainly health anxiety. My symptoms have been the same as yours though, and I found Claire Weekes' book really really helpful. I always try to use her mantra of 'recognise, accept, float, let time pass'.
I got to a point where i was 'back to normal' and felt i had totally conquered my anxiety.. .then it just came back again. i think that when a long time passes with no panic/anxiety, we forget what it's like and our coping mechanisms get rusty. so i don't know if it's possible to 'conquer' it once and for all.

Hope you keep getting support from the Claire Weekes book - it's fab!

Henri

PandaPie
05-01-07, 17:57
Hi there, I have just started reading the Claire Weekes book... Unfortunately, when it got to the part that was relevant to me about "thinking about a specific event starting a panic attack" I had a panic attack and haven't been able to pick it up since! How silly!

I really want to read it though, I have heard great things about it.

Krakers
05-01-07, 18:06
Hi all - I've received my order from Amazon today for 2 of Claires books, including "Self-Help for you Nerves".

Will let you know how I find them as I get through them.

Krakers.

Pebble
05-01-07, 18:13
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there, I have just started reading the Claire Weekes book... Unfortunately, when it got to the part that was relevant to me about "thinking about a specific event starting a panic attack" I had a panic attack and haven't been able to pick it up since! How silly!

I really want to read it though, I have heard great things about it.

<div align="right">Originally posted by PandaPie - 05 January 2007 : 17:57:07</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Aw, well done for trying though. I think what's needed is courage above all else, to face the feelings, though that can be difficult when the fear makes it feel so bad.

I sometimes feel I have courage to not mind how I feel. The other day I went out and was quite courageous and did well, then had a few days where I didn't feel as courageous to face the feelings head on.

Kind Regards,
Pebble.

janey50
05-01-07, 18:14
Hi Pebble. Well done for joining - I've just joined too and am v impressed with how supportive and sensible everyone seems to be on this site. I too think the Claire Weekes 'method' is the most honest and helpful and have found her writing on agoraphobia very useful. I am a long-time agoraphobia sufferer, and all I can say is, you go thru good and bad patches but it's always good to remember that there are strategies to help you thru the bad days, and most of all, remember not to beat yourself up about failing to get it right always. Total acceptance of my symptoms evades me most of the time - it just feels so bloody horrible when you ARE having an attack - but actually facing it and saying to yourself 'OK, this is happening so just let it happen' somehow makes it pass quicker. Robyn Vine's book 'Agoraphobia - the fear of panic', is also very good. I bet you are an incredibly kind and sensitive person - like me!! - so be proud of yourself. Best of luck - Janey.

Pebble
05-01-07, 18:26
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Total acceptance of my symptoms evades me most of the time - it just feels so bloody horrible when you ARE having an attack - but actually facing it and saying to yourself 'OK, this is happening so just let it happen' somehow makes it pass quicker. Robyn Vine's book 'Agoraphobia - the fear of panic', is also very good. I bet you are an incredibly kind and sensitive person - like me!! - so be proud of yourself. Best of luck - Janey.

<div align="right">Originally posted by janey50 - 05 January 2007 : 18:14:39</div id="right">

Hi Janey, thanks for the kind words. If you don't mind me asking what kind of symptoms do you get, do you find that you can accept some symptoms better than others? I think everyone has one thats just the toughest symptom though.

Kind Regards,
Pebble.

PandaPie
05-01-07, 20:03
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
Aw, well done for trying though. I think what's needed is courage above all else, to face the feelings, though that can be difficult when the fear makes it feel so bad.

I sometimes feel I have courage to not mind how I feel. The other day I went out and was quite courageous and did well, then had a few days where I didn't feel as courageous to face the feelings head on.

Kind Regards,
Pebble.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Pebble - 05 January 2007 : 18:13:20</div id="right">

Yes you are right about the courage. I will try again with the book. Good luck with your recovery, sounds like you have taken some big steps already.

I am new here too so look forward to speaking to you all.

fightingonstill
07-01-07, 12:48
Hi
I have just orderd the book from Play.com so am looking forward to getting through it.
I bought the Linden method and found some of it very useful but did not 'cure' me as it says it would, so quite an expensive buy!
I suffer from general anxiety, agrophobia and social anxiety so am abit of all sorts, main problem at moment is fighting to get into the car and drive...but will get there i remain positive
Nikki x

Piglet
07-01-07, 13:30
I practice the floating alot - I sorta see myself floating into the corner shop on a cloud.

This seems to have 2 effects on me, both of which are positive. I either feel more relaxed at the thought of floating, or it creases me up the vision of myself on a cloud (I'm stood up on my cloud) floating about picking up the TV Choice and a pint of milk! :D:D:D

Well done on your progress and a big welcome to the site :D

Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

janey50
09-01-07, 18:47
Hello again Pebble. Hope you're doing OK and keeping positive. In reply to yr question re symptoms, I find I can just about accept the thumping heart and copious sweating (lovely!!) when I'm anxious about something, but it's the rising sense of panic - I've got to get out of here- the thoughts and scalp-tingling that get to me worst. Sometimes you just feel so jerky and self-conscious. It's hard to appear at ease in the pew at church when you are longing to get up and run out! But then I do try and give myself lots of positve self-talk - 'Well done - you've been here 5 minutes!' etc. and I think above all we have to be kind to ourselves and not compare ourselves to other, 'normal' people, who have no idea how brave we are on a daily basis! Keep up the good fight. Love and encouragement - Janey.