PDA

View Full Version : Routine Mammogram

hadenough
11-11-14, 20:32
I had my first mammogram done 11 days ago. Im 61 and should have been having them done for 10 years but, because of my extreme health anxiety, have buried my head in the sand and not had it done before. My daughter talked me into it this time, I was absolutely terrified but managed to go through with it. The thing is waiting for the results, which they said would take up to 2 weeks, is killing me. I have been beside myself with worry. I have had some symptoms like breast pain and a feeling like something is stuck under a rib underneath my left breast so I am panicking. People say that if they catch it early then you have a good chance of recovering but, because of the fact that Ive never had a mammo before, I think theres a good chance that if I do have anything then it will be too late for me. :weep:

Annie0904
11-11-14, 20:54
I think if there had been a problem you would have heard by now if it was 11 days ago.

susie1
11-11-14, 20:57
My friend had a routine mammogram, She was recalled within 4 days - for a problem that turned out to be nothing at all. I really think if there was a problem they would have contacted you by now.

Canbud
12-11-14, 18:26
what normally happens with mammos is that they either can clearly see the mammo is clear, or they can't. If it's the former, you wait for your "all clear" letter. If it's the latter, they call you in within a few days to do an ultrasound. Very standard, but still scares the bejesus out of you!

If I were you, I would phone the clinic and ask when you will be receiving the results to set your mind at ease. It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about, and I've had many mammos.