PDA

View Full Version : Me again...increased dose...needing support :(

IrishLondon
11-11-14, 21:07
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry to be back again, looking for support. I tried to make my last few posts positive, as I was feeling a bit better, but i'm not feeling too great tonight.

With my doctor's support, I decided to increase my Sertraline dose to 100mg two days ago. I have been on 50mg for the past 7 months.

For the past two days, i've felt constantly restless - particularly in my legs - it's almost like there's so much energy in my legs and I can't settle and i feel much more anxious than I have been for the past week. I know that increasing an SSRI can cause some initial anxiety, but i'm scared again. I hate saying that, but that's how I feel. I could hardly concentrate at work today and had to keep getting up.

I'm sorry for bringing a downer on things again - I literally can't wait until I can feel well and write a positive post here

Thanks again
Ryan

luc
11-11-14, 21:16
Your not putting a downer on things. Your having a bad time and there are people here to support you. I am on 100 sertraline and had exactly the same sensations when I started. Give yourself time. Lucia x

IrishLondon
11-11-14, 21:23
Thank you so much Lucia, it really helps to know someone's out there and has experienced the same. I know i need to give the increased dose sometime to work - but when the anxiety takes over it stops you thinking logically about these things.

Thanks so much again. Ryan

MrAndy
11-11-14, 21:27
It will settle in a few days,you've got to hang in there until your brain adjusts to the new dose it won't be as bad as getting on them in the first place

chickpea
11-11-14, 21:31
Awww, mate. :hugs:

I haven't been on Setraline, but I have been on Citalopram and had the same reactions as you are now.
Have you thought about building up your dose slower? You could try cutting your tablets up, so that you take 75mg instead of the Full 100mg - give your brain a chance to adjust.
Have you talked to your doctor about the effects of the increased dose? Maybe they could give you some diazepam to tide you over, or some sleeping pills? (I was given both when my anxiety peaked, although I never took the diazepam).

You will get through this - it's temporary turbulence in your flight to a new place. Keep reading Claire Weekes - she's a lifesaver in tough times.xxx

IrishLondon
11-11-14, 21:38
Thanks Andy and Chick,

Seriously the responses on here are so important to me - i'm so thankful when people take the time to reply.

Thanks Andy - i didn't have any real side effects when i first started on the 50mg but I guess that doesn't mean i can't happen when I increase.

Chick - thanks so much, i've got Claire on the table right now and ready to read her tonight. If these feelings go on for more than a few days, I will have to contact the doctor. Tonight I just took the 75mg so i'm hoping things won't be so bad tomorrow. I know i just need to ride this out - with the help of all you lovely people!

Thanks again so much
Ryan

chickpea
11-11-14, 22:01
I guess everyone reacts differently to different doses.
I know when I started on Cit, I was given 20mg. Well, it was horrendous! Seriously awful - all night panic, zombie-like days, horrendous anxiety, nausea, diarrhoea, the works.
I begged my GP to let me reduce to 10mg and she was so scathing -" for goodness sake, that is the sort of sub-therapeutic dose we give to little old ladies!" but it worked for me; I could actually feel it kicking in, tingling through my body like a lovely warm hug.
It could be that 50mg was a "little old lady" dose for you, and 100mg is the kick-ass stuff. Keep looking forward...and up.:yesyes:

IrishLondon
11-11-14, 22:06
Chick - you have such a good way of putting things!!

You've made me think positive - which is always more than half the battle.

I'm already trying to visualise how good i'll feel in a few weeks once things level out.

I've said it before and i'll say it again - this forum is a god send!

Ryan x

chickpea
11-11-14, 22:15
You're doing the hard work yourself, Ryan - we're just cheering you on! :yesyes:

I did a Headspace meditation this morning. There was a short animation before it, all about blue skies. Basically, the blue sky is always there - but sometimes dark clouds move across it and we might even wonder if a tornado's about to hit. However, we just need to remember that the blue sky is STILL there, just as it is in an aeroplane.
Your blue sky hasn't left you, Ryan - it's just got a few clouds in it today. Let those clouds float on by.

MRS STRESS ED
11-11-14, 22:21
hi IrishLondon stay with it,it will all be worth it you will experience different symptoms but they will pass and all I can say it is worth it,I was feeling like you but I stuck with it and I finally got my life back,it's been a rollercoaster ride,but when you get off it,you realise it was worth the ride wishing you all the best �� xx

Abarth
11-11-14, 23:07
Stick with it Ryan - All will be well. Chickpea's solution seems sensible if you could try 75 for a week and then go up. I start the sertraline tomorrow and I am terrified at the mere thought of it and that's starting a 25mg for the first week! Fingers crossed - all in together - I'm drawing strength from the PM you sent me on the subject. Be well, you know it's temporary.

IrishLondon
11-11-14, 23:15
Thanks MrsStress and Ant!!

Yes Ant, let's be in this together! Zoloft did so much for me when I first started back in March so i'm sure it will eventually help both of us.

Let's keep each other updated on how we are doing - glad to have you all here, that's for sure.

chickpea
11-11-14, 23:17
Stick with it Ryan - All will be well. Chickpea's solution seems sensible if you could try 75 for a week and then go up. I start the sertraline tomorrow and I am terrified at the mere thought of it and that's starting a 25mg for the first week! Fingers crossed - all in together - I'm drawing strength from the PM you sent me on the subject. Be well, you know it's temporary.

Don't feel you have to take the whole dose - get a pill cutter and start with half a tablet, or even a quarter. Build up slowly and you're less likely to get side effects.

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

Blue skies, guys - always blue skies!

IrishLondon
12-11-14, 20:25
Hi guys

It seems I can't help coming on to the forum when I get in from work. I think, just at the moment, i don't want to be alone with my own thoughts for too long.

Today was another day filled with restlessness but it wasn't constant like it was yesterday. So I'm hoping thats because the 75mg and this symptom will fade away. On a few occasions the anxiety overwhelmed me a bit - like it was rising up through my body, not a nice feeling.

Anyway, just another post for me. I find it helps to write things down,

Thanks again
Ryan

flatterycat
12-11-14, 20:30
Hello

I take Sertraline. Have been on it now for a year and a half. Trouble is that recently I have been forgetting to take them. I have been so busy I just seem to forget! Now I've hit a low again and am taking them properly! I'm on 100mg. When I went from 50 at the start I had a dodgy tum, but that's all. My doc is considering a further increase if I continue like I am now!!

S