PDA

View Full Version : Sternum Pain

Natasha006
12-11-14, 03:13
Hi everyone,
So i have been having this this pain when i breath where my sternum ends right in the middle. it hurts when i breath in and when i touch it it feels sore, like bruised. I dont know what this is and im really scared.
I woke up at 6am trying to take a deep breath but the pain being way too much.
Now my ribcage feels sore and i cant even touch my sternum it feels like its bruised and inflammed.
Should i be concerned. I went to the doctor and they didnt think anything of it but i nothing has helped and the pain hasnt gone away.

I am a 28 year old female. no history of dvt or pe. i dont drink or smoke, im not on any kind of estrogen medication.

This is just very strange to me. I do have stomach issues like IBS.
But this does not feel like IBS. and when i take a deep breath my back hurts as well around my rib cage

Any advce would be appreciated
Thanks everyone

xofeatherxo
12-11-14, 04:31
I don't know much about IBS but does that involve a lot of gas? Because I've spent so many nights thinking I was dying only to realize it's gas... Including chest pain and back pain. If you've ruled out cracked ribs (no recent injuries or anything like that) try lying on your stomach. If there's someone around willing to rub your lower back that might help too.

Or, check out en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome Does that seem like what you're experiencing?

How long ago did you go to the doctor and how long has this pain lasted? If it's been a day or less I would be inclined to think gas, especially with IBS. Either way I hope you feel better. :)

Abarth
12-11-14, 13:51
Hi there
Sorry you feel this way. Sounds very much like it symptoms costocondritus - infammation of the cartilage around the ribs and sternum. It's not serious, but not pleasant. If it persists, ask your Doctor if this is what it could be. There are many posts about this on the forum- just dont google!! Meanwhile take care and try and be calm as anxiety will not help!
Be well.
Ant

Natasha006
12-11-14, 22:10
I went to the doctor and they said that they do think its costocondritus, but i cant help but letting my brain get the best of me. I guess thats what panic attacks do best.
Its not just my sternum though. I sometimes feel like im going crazy, or my heart rate will race for no reason, then i feel like im going to pass out go blind. Its just a mixture of everything.

I really appreciate everyones responses :)

Abarth
12-11-14, 22:24
I have exactly the same problem as you at the moment. As soon as I get a pain, the blood seems to drain out of me, my limbs go weak and my hands and legs go 'buzzy'. Also the pain seems to radiate from the specific point as an ache or spasm, all over my rib cage and especially around my heart!! Drives me crazy, but that is how the body reacts under stress. So yup, I hear ya! Now all I have to do is take my own advice too - we'll get there in the end!
Take care.

Natasha006
13-11-14, 16:14
Absolutely. I think that the most difficult part is taking control over your brain as opposed to have your brain control you. Anxiety, stress, panic attacks, they can all mimic the things that we are most afraid of. The hardest part is convincing yourself that its nothing.

Everyday that i think im getting better, ill have a panic attack and it will make it worse, its definitely not something that is easy to deal with or have others understand.

Im trying really hard to not panic over every little pain, and feeling.

It will get better im sure of it. Just have to trust the doctors and not allow myself to be controlled my shear fear.

Thank you again for responding :)

I think my greatest fear is losing my mind or going crazy, feeling like im going blind etc.. Hallucinations from panic attacks and just becoming and entirely different person.

I know these things wont ever happen but itsalways been a fear of mine.