PDA

View Full Version : HELP need positive vibes just been prescribed this med

Avasmummy_x
12-11-14, 16:58
Hi I have just been prescribed 3 50mg a day so 150mg a day of pregabalin. I need some positive vibes to take this med as I'm point blank refusing to take it right now.

I've been tried recently on numerous anti do all have made my anxiety worse or made me suicidle. Because of this I'm petrified to try anything else.

I was prescribed diazepam for 2 weeks to help me relax and now she's trying these as a long term approach. I suffer with gad and most recentLy been diagnosed with OCD with very scary intrusive thoughts. Hence the diazepam as I was at a helpless point ( still am ) where my mind is constantly racing and I just can't see me getting better especially now I'm having intrusive thoughts I'm very scared and feel completely hopeless.

She has prescribed me 10 more Diaz tabs to cope with any side effects off the pregabalin which is comforting but I just can't bare the thought of taking another tablet that will make me feel so bad and to the point of suicide. I can't live like that I have a precious 2yr old.

So yeah I know Nothing of this med. I've never heard of it. My doc said it's cause it's new to treating gad and is expensive so they don't prescribe it unless they have to. Can anyone tell me a bit about the med? Is it an anti d as such? What are/were your experiences on it? How to overcome the fear of taking another tablet xx

SarahH
12-11-14, 18:09
Hi ,
Calm down:) This is a brilliant med. It is NOT an anti depressant. I get terrible SE;s from drugs but this one saved me. Take it now! You will feel relaxed and a little "drunk" but your anxiety will be relieved VERY quickly. Have a look on this site under pregabalin and you will see loads of posts about it. You can take diazepam with it until you get to right dose of pregablin which COULD be 600 mg's a day. The dose varies with different people.
150 megs may be the right dose for you. Remember the SE's will pass quickly. You may even feel a little "euphoric" for a few days and very talkative.
This really is a great med for anxiety and I had NO scary SE's at all and I am VERY sensitive to meds.
Good luck

sarah

SmilingAlbert
13-11-14, 01:04
Hey Avas,

Yes agree with everything Sarah says. Preg is a new, sophisticated and very effective medicine that works for the majority of people who take it, and with lower side effects too. It does not have suicidal thoughts as part of its listed side effects (unlike depressingly many ADs), even in initial phases.

As Sarah says, you may need a bit to get to the best dose, but from what it sounds, it could help you a lot. As she says, have a good look through past posts if you don't believe us...

Good luck

hanshan
13-11-14, 09:06
I also agree with Sarah and Smiling Albert - don't be afraid and give it a try.

Avasmummy_x
13-11-14, 13:04
Thank you for your encouraging posts. My anxiety is just so high all the time right now I don't see myself ever getting better! I've set myself a goal to start on Sunday. As I have a family party Saturday and if I do get side effects it will ruin something I have been looking forward too.

Hopefully this will be the right med for me then. I think I worry more as I've never heard of it x

SarahH
13-11-14, 13:14
Top tip... take AFTER food..... on an empty stomach the SE's are worse. I was given this drug when I was SO anxious I was is a psych unit. I found the initial SE's tolerable because my anxiety was GONE in just a few days. Within 2 weeks I was up on 400mgs a day... good luck

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
13-11-14, 15:11
Thanks Sarah Im actually scared I may get admitted as its so bad right now but my doctor must think I'll be ok. Will make sure I eat before hand. I'm really sensitive on meds I got side effects on anti ds with in just a few hours!

SarahH
13-11-14, 15:34
Me too....... eventually had to start AD (citalopram) on 1mg a day and gradually build up the dose. Was taken to hospital many many years ago 15 mins after taking Venlafaxine!!! So I know how you are feeling right now. Use the diazepam until you want to start the pregabalin. Really, it works totally differently to AD's.
Hanshin will explain how it works as he can explain it better than me, he will hopefully be following this thread:D
50mgs is a small dose... you will feel a little "drunk" but you will also realise that your anxiety is being beaten.
This is the BEST med I have ever taken for anxiety!!!!

Sarah

hanshan
14-11-14, 03:27
The simple explanation is that pregabalin slows the release of neurotransmitters (chemicals in the brain) that cause agitation / anxiety. This is quite different from antidepressants and benzodiazepines.

Good luck with it, and don't worry too much about side effects. Some people notice a positive effect within a few hours, for others it takes longer. 50 mg is a low dose - some people respond at that level, but you should try up to 150 - 400 mg per day before you can say it's not working.

Avasmummy_x
14-11-14, 13:51
Thank you. Yes I'm on 50mg 3 times a day so I'll be having 150mg a day and have to see my doctor in two weekes time to see how it's going.
Every anti d I've been on I've had to come off before the 2week mark so hopefully this IS the tablet for me. X

grapefruitmoon
14-11-14, 17:40
Hi avasmummy. I sincerely hope that this is the med for you. My experience is detailed in the 'new to pregabalin' thread but its been a good med for me with mijimal side effects compared with some others. I fely better two days after starting on 3x50 per day. The key is, finding your ideal dose. Ive gone up to 400 4x100 per day, and I feel like I need to increase. Which is frustrating but hopefully I'll find it soon.

keggsy
14-11-14, 20:12
Hello ava,
My experience of starting on 75mg once a day increasing to twice a day is that side effects have been minimal and anxiety levels marginally reduced, will now be increasing further to see how it goes from there.

Avasmummy_x
17-11-14, 12:32
Still too scared to take this med omg!! Stopped my diazepam as I've been on it for 2weeks and don't know if I'm having withdrawals or if my anxiety is just infact getting worse as I don't have that to take the edge off now. I've still got 12 5mg tabs left and was told I can take them with the pregabalin if I find it gives me side effects. Problem is I've already been on diazepam and I'm very scared of addiction as these are my miracle drug. Which makes me reluctant to take with the pregabalin.

All your comments are super comforting that it will work and actually make me feel better right away which makes me want to but something is just stopping me?! Today is day 3 with no diaz and I've got awful depersonalization and noise sensitivity but once again I doubt I'd have bad withdrawals only being on it two weeks x

john61
17-11-14, 15:48
Hello,I've been on pregabalin for two years now and its saved my life.
My cpn says its a clean drug.I've tried most ads over the years and even tho pregabalin isn't a ad its been the most effective ,usefull med I've ever had.I know everyone reacts differentlly but give it a go.nothing to lose and maybe a lot to gain.take care

SarahH
17-11-14, 16:51
Take it!!! You are on this board for our support and that is what we will do as best we can.......... but stop fannying around and get on with it:D You will be fine and it will be better than diazepam in the long run...

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
18-11-14, 12:08
I'm having some breakfast and taking my first dose today. Done with feeling how I feel waking up anxious every morning and it lasting all day. Started with derealiseation with the intrusive thoughts now so I need to break the cycle and thoughts.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

I've done it. May be lunchtime but had my first tablet. Will let you know how I get on. Seem to be feeling like my throats closing and it's hard to breathe hope it fades soon x

SarahH
18-11-14, 13:53
I felt exactly the same when I took my first dose!!! In fact I made one of the trained resuscitation nurses sit with me for the first hour just in case....I was fine and then felt a little drunk but euphoric and talkative. BUT my anxiety was gone!!!

Keep posting

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
18-11-14, 14:04
Been about 2hours since I took it and I do feel surprisingly calm atm which is nice. Almost feel like I do when I take a diazepam calm and sleepy. First hour was very scary felt like my throat was closing like I said and thought I was having an allergic reaction tbh! But seems to have settled now hoping it was just the anxiety of taking that first dose x

grapefruitmoon
18-11-14, 19:07
Really glad you've started it. It sounds like you've had the immediate relief that I experienced. Great isn't it:yahoo:

SmilingAlbert
18-11-14, 20:07
Good to hear it's being positive so far.

Keep us updated - we're all interested to hear how you get on!

Albert

Avasmummy_x
18-11-14, 20:28
Not doing 'too' well now. After a few hours I felt very 'drunk' even stumbling about and some depersonalisation. It then calmed after about an hour or two and now again I'm feeling very detached and can feel myself getting anxious because of that. About to take my night time dose so hoping it just knocks me out tbh as this detached feeling is horrible. Did anyone else experience this drunk and detached/derealisation side effect? I don't feel like I'm here I feel very numb and my eyes feel so heavy and drunk x

SarahH
18-11-14, 21:53
Yes this is perfectly normal in the first few days.

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
19-11-14, 09:59
Well I slept pretty well only woke up once in the night. Normally on anti ds I suffer terrible insomnia and can't sleep for days so that is definitely a plus. I am getting side effects but willing to put up with them as there nowhere near as bad as anti d side effects. Woke up ok this morning normally I have terrible morning anxiety that sets me off for the day and today is was nowhere near as bad so it is definitely making the anxiety more bearable. Just had my breakfast and my morning dose so gonna stick with the same times so gonna take at 10-3-9 :) see how I get on mainly with the drunk and detached feeling that was not pleasant at all last night. My daughter was talking to me and I didn't feel all there or the energy to talk back which is not good. On a whole though the anxiety is definitely lower don't have the euphoric feeling though that I see most people had I feel whacked out if anything!

SarahH
19-11-14, 14:22
I think that is good news! If you feel whacked out then take a nap:D

Avasmummy_x
19-11-14, 15:19
If Only I could! I'm moving house this weekend so super busy packing and I have a 2year old that will not allow me to nap haha. Feeling so drunk and not with it all day can't wait for this side effect to wear off it's making packing much harder x

SmilingAlbert
19-11-14, 21:55
Keep going. It sounds like it's helping so far. Don't worry about the euphoria thing or lack of - I didn't get this - I didn't really get the drunk thing either - I just felt normal, which was a big improvement from feeling awful. Normal is good! Getting good sleep is an enormous help too, though less noticeable in a way.

Remember: Pregabalin is a very clever, relatively new (but very well tested) medicine that appears to work for the majority of users - take a look at the reviews here:

http://www.drugs.com/comments/pregabalin/for-generalized-anxiety-disorder.html

Statistically, it should help you. Hopefully, it will.

Albert

Avasmummy_x
20-11-14, 08:36
Can I ask how long everyone has been on the med? And if it is meant for long term use? As it does appear to be working as I've woke to with hardly any morning anxiety again which is great.

hanshan
20-11-14, 08:50
I have been taking pregabalin for about four years, and doctors seem happy to keep prescribing it. It's been the best thing I've had for anxiety over literally decades.

SarahH
20-11-14, 09:49
Remember, moving house is up there as one of the most stressful things you can do in life... so your levels of anxiety will be pretty high anyway.... keep going... we are all here to support:D

sarah

Avasmummy_x
20-11-14, 14:31
Hanshan fab. That's all I wanted to know that it is a long term med as it is making my anxiety bearable up to yet :)

Oh yes Sarah it is very stressful but I'm lucky I have a very good family that are helping me out loads! House is packed up now for moving Saturday and then I'm blitzing the house. Still feeling so drunk and detatched but I'm fighting through it. Anxiety levels are surprising low today despite the busyness had racing thoughts but other than that I'm pretty ok and coping. A few days ago I was a constant panic mess x

Avasmummy_x
20-11-14, 20:32
So pregabalin does seem to be working. Especially on the morning anxiety. Feeling. Very drunk and d'étatched still inbetween doses. But ignoring it and riding it out. Can feel anxiety creeping especially at night but trying to fight it. Is this a sign I may need a higher dose or is it too early to tell? Would happily take a diazspam now to chill me out as my ears are so sensitive and go mild racing thoughts but being good and trying to fight it myself. Doing really well not had a diaz in 5 days now after being on them for a few weeks and not had to take one since starting the pregabalin. Also managed to take my daughter McDonalds earlier. Something I could of definitely not done this time last week I became quite agoraphobic since the anxiety became unbearable x

hanshan
21-11-14, 05:44
The anxiety should come down a few notches once the move is over. I find moving very stressful at the best of times. Good luck with it.

Avasmummy_x
21-11-14, 20:28
God I'm not good today. On and off bad bad bad anxiety. Especially tonight omg. Noise sensitivity, every feels fast, racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts argh. Feel like I took 1 step forward and 3 steps back x

hanshan
22-11-14, 05:06
Hi Avasmummy,

This is totally normal, to have a dip a few days in. I think it's because your body is adjusting to the new chemical. You have three days where the stress levels go down, so part of the brain thinks it needs to produce even more stress chemicals. Eventually, your brain will get used to less stress/anxiety as the new normal (with possibly a few more ups and downs along the way).

Plus, don't discount the extra stress of moving. It's one of the most stressful events even for people without chronic anxiety - gives them a feel of how anxiety sufferers feel every day!

SarahH
22-11-14, 10:01
I agree with Hanshin totally (as usual). Remember you are also on quite a low dose at the moment. Good luck with the move.

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
22-11-14, 22:48
Yeah anxiety was high again today. But happy to say my morning anxiety has almost dissapeared since starting these meds. So atleast im starting my days more positively. I've got my routine appointment on Wednesday with my doctor to see how the meds are going. Unsure if she'll up the dose if my anxiety is creeping back?

Hanshan that makes a lot of sense when you put it like that. I actually really like the med if im honest now the drunk feeling is fading. Just a shame anxiety is creeping back. But there definitely working better than a anti d for me x

hanshan
23-11-14, 09:16
Hi Avasmummy,

I'm not sure what dose you are on, but 600 mg per day is the limit. Most people find the dose which works best for them after some time - remember you are only a week in. Hopefully, the drunk feeling will fade away, and you won't even know that it's working, until you realise that you can't remember the last time you were really anxious for no good reason.

Avasmummy_x
23-11-14, 09:45
I'm on 150mg a day split in to 3 doses. Having mild anxiety this morning. Good thing is I'm moved now.

Does anyone know if this works for ocd too? X

hanshan
23-11-14, 10:12
Congratulations on surviving the move.

If you think that 400 mg pregabalin per day is an average maximum - some people need a bit more, others less - then there is still some room to move up. It doesn't mean you have to keep increasing the dose. You soon find the level that is right for you.

Pregabalin is licensed for generalised anxiety and I have found it very effective for that. I also have a touch of OCD, but unfortunately haven't found pregabalin to have much effect. But this is just me - maybe others have had a different experience.

Avasmummy_x
23-11-14, 15:37
Anxiety is bad again today boo. Feel disheartened it helped loads the first few days. Yeah I just have the obsession part of ocd like with health anxiety I obsess over illnesses and have quite bad intrusive thoughts. For instance I avoid going anywhere high up say a second floor of a shopping centre I won't go in because I get urges and thoughts to jump off wich frighten me x

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

I've had to give in today. Not had any diazepam since stattrting pregabalin but I am in a horrible state. Had intrusive thoughts and urges in the middle of tescos had to run home in a panic and am now calming down after taking one. Talk about taking steps back :( hate hate hate having to give in to take one makes me feel a failure.

hanshan
24-11-14, 07:52
Sorry to hear that anxiety is still a problem. If you are still on 150 mg a day of pregabalin, it is possible to double that to 300 mg, and then double that again to 600 mg. This should help, particularly with your morning anxiety.

For your OCD, however, you probably need something different. If you have had bad reactions to traditional ADs, there are other medications available. This is beyond most GPs - it needs a good psychiatrist to prescribe.

Anyway - hang in there, and good luck.

SarahH
24-11-14, 12:34
Don't feel a failure..... its ok that the pregabalin is easing off after a few days. I expect your GP will up the dose on Wednesday. And it is perfectly ok to take Valium whilst you are settling in to pregabalin.

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
24-11-14, 16:09
It was the intrusive thought that threw me off without a doubt. Anxiety is still lingering today but nowhere near as bad as the past two days.

I'm thinking the same Sarah that she may up them. We shall see Wednesday and I know I shouldn't feel a failure I just use the diaz as a last resort if I can't handle it. So when I take one I kinda feel bad that I couldn't get through it alone if that makes sense. I've got 11 left out of the 14 she give me to get through the past two weeks so I guess its not too bad. X

Avasmummy_x
25-11-14, 17:58
Had an ok day but my anxiety is so high tonight it's like the tablets have stopped working x

hanshan
26-11-14, 03:12
Hi Avasmummy,

It's only just over a week since you started taking them - you've had a couple of good days followed by a dip. This is completely normal, particularly as you are on a low dose. Hopefully, the doctor will increase the dose.

Hopefully, side effects will also ease during this time.

Avasmummy_x
26-11-14, 09:45
Thanks hanshan.
I suppose when you say it like that I need to give it time to work.
I fee like I've been on them ages!
It's the intrusive thoughts that are throwing me off they keep popping up and they really scare me to the point I won't leave the house.
Doctors later today we'll see what she thinks about maybe the dosage being increased.
It's just wierd as they worked sooo well for about 3days. Next to not anxiety, I was able to go out alone and now I feel I'm back to square one and will never get better it's very disheartening xx

hanshan
26-11-14, 12:40
Think about what your anxiety could have been during the move without pregabalin.

It could have been atrocious. You could have been in your bedroom, hyperventilating, scared to stand up or even go outside, but pregabalin stopped all that, so you can't say it has stopped working.

Instead, you sailed through pretty much with just a blip. It doesn't sound too bad to me. But I'm hoping that the doctor prescribes a higher dose, since you are still around the lower level of the therapeutic range.

As for intrusive thoughts, I don't think they are pregabalin territory, and you need some other treatment.

Avasmummy_x
26-11-14, 13:10
Very true. Thanks for that I completely forgot how well the move actually went.

My doc says she thinks the intrusive thoughts will stop once my gad has started to decrease as I've only started with them a few weeks ago so they are a new element for me which makes them all the more scary.

I've been reffered for therapy but she said the waiting list is months long :(

SarahH
26-11-14, 14:39
Hi, did she up the dose? If so what to?

I had intrusive thoughts and the pregabalin stopped them for me. Other than that I agree with everything Hanshin says:D

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
26-11-14, 19:33
Dose has been doubled up so instead of 50mg 3 times a day it's 100mg 3 times a day.
She seemed pretty happy and said I seemed to be doing well on them.
She says my referal for physiatrist should come through soon and she's also referred me for a course called mindfullness x

keggsy
26-11-14, 21:09
Will be interesting to see how you fare on the higher dose, all the very best to you.

hanshan
27-11-14, 04:43
Good luck on the higher dose and with your psych. referral and mindfulness course. Hopefully between those three you will get some peace of mind.

Avasmummy_x
30-11-14, 10:41
Just wondering guys will I have the side effects all over again now I'm upping my dose? I've just took my first 100mg as I've only just been able to get my prescription as my little girl has chicken pox doh!

hanshan
30-11-14, 12:00
Sorry to hear about the chicken pox. Don't scratch! It can cause scars, mostly noticeable on the face.

As for side effects when increasing pregabalin, they're possible, but should be milder than your original start-up, as your body is now accustomed to the medication.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted how you are getting on.

Avasmummy_x
30-11-14, 20:21
Feeling really low.
It's like the meds just stopped working and made me feel worse now.
The thoughts are getting intense.
I'm having a lot of nightmares and continually waking up at 4am every night.
It's making me feel like I've no hope and this is it now.
Hope it's just a bad day but wow I feel awful ive never had depression before but it's making me feel that way.
Anxious all the time, lack of sleep, frightening nightmares, meds one minute working next not I feel so confused and down x
Is this normal when you up a dose or adjusting to the med? X

KK77
30-11-14, 23:00
If you're becoming depressed you should consider an antidepressant because Pregabalin won't unfortunately help with that. I take Pregabalin with an antidepressant.

You posted about starting Prozac a while back but didn't reply to my post so not sure what happened. Maybe you could look at it again and speak to your doctor.

hanshan
01-12-14, 04:03
Hi Avasmummy,

Don't rush things. You are still just under two weeks from starting pregabalin, and only about 8 hours or so on the new dose. Give it a couple of days to settle.

If after that time, things are still up and down, you might consider talking to your doctor about combining pregabalin with another medication. I think you said you had bad reactions to ADs in the past, but there are other medications around.

Avasmummy_x
01-12-14, 10:42
I've never suffered depression but I do get random thoughts that make me think I am like when I'm really fed up of the anxiety. If my anxiety was low I would feel fine.

I was on Prozac and my doctor took me off it after about 5days as it made me very suicidle and like Ive said ive never been depressed or had thoughts of that so she was very concerned. She says because of my age unfortunately I fall in the catagory of ads causing suicidle thoughts as its so common in young users so it's hard to find the right ad plus I have had other horrendous side effects to like sertraline and citalopram. Because of this I don't want to try another one and was one of the reasons she said we'll try pregabablin.

I know hanshan I'm being so impatient but as im sure you know when your that anxious and struggling you just want a quick fix. I think I need to stop having the diazepam as I find it gives me nightmares as I have them always after it and it also makes my mood quite low the next day or 2.

She's said to come see her again in 4 weeks if there doing there job if not 2weeks.

I think I'm jusy having a blip. That feeling like the meds won't work. Mainly because it worked so well the first 4-5days then suddenly stopped!

Obviously doesn't help my little girl has chicken pox so stress levels are high.

Avasmummy_x
01-12-14, 16:55
Don't feel down today just very anxious but i forced myself out with my mum and ended up having a panic attack in argos but I got through it all without a diazepam.

Feeling completely whacked out and stoned after my 3pm dose so just laying on the sofa half asleep. Think I just keep having blips x

SmilingAlbert
01-12-14, 18:10
Argos can make anyone have a panic attack! Dreadful place...

Seriously though, while you're feeling a bit fragile, if possible, try and avoid stressful places and environments. Perhaps you should do more shopping online? Shopping - especially at this time of year - can be a stressful nightmare for anyone, let alone those feeling fragile.

But yes as Hanshan says, take it easy, one day at a time. The Preg should help, but give it some time. If the Big D is being a problem, consider an AD. Mirtazapine is used by myself and is very effective, and is completely different from Prozac, sertrailine and all that other SSRI junk. And shouldn't give you any suicidal ideation either.

Talk to your doctor - and look after yourself.

Albert

SarahH
01-12-14, 18:18
I think you should try to persevere. There will be ups and downs with any med you take. Keep at it. If and that's a big "IF" you start feeling a little depressed in a few months then you COULD try an AD but titrating it up very slowly. I have terrible start up SE's and had to start citalopram in 2.5 mgs a day for the first two weeks so it is possible. However, don't think about that yet. Its still early days on Pregabalin.
So are you on 300mgs a day now?

Sarah

Avasmummy_x
01-12-14, 19:28
Haha Albert that made me laugh. Yeah I should really avoid stressful places at the mo I just needed to get out the house. Sitting in doing nothing and being afraid of the world just gives me more time and opportunitys to overthink. Im so scared of having to have and ad again I was hoping this would be the med to fix me as its had so much positivity.

Hi Sarah I do need to persevere. Did you have days like it too on it? The thought of a ad petrified me. I really want this to be my miracle med. Yes I'm on my second day on 300mg. 100mg 3 times a day. Side effects are in full force tonight feel very stoned but kinda relaxed again like when I first started the med x

SarahH
01-12-14, 22:47
Yes you do have some bad days at the beginning but the drug has to settle in your system. 300mgs a day is still not the full dose. I am going to be a bit firm with you now!... stop thinking about the future and worrying about whether or not you need Ads! Take each day as it comes. If you need to go out, go for a walk where it is quiet and peaceful NOT a busy place which will trigger your anxiety.
Look up Mindfulness and try to practice it for 30 minutes a day. It will help you find some inner calm. This really is a wonder drug for anxiety if you give it a chance.

Sarah x

hanshan
02-12-14, 02:07
Hello Avasmummy,

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better with the new dose.

I agree with Smiling Albert and Sarah - take it slowly, try to go out but avoid stressful environments like crowded shopping centres (hard to do at Christmas, I know).

Like Albert, I also take mirtazapine. I had an awful reaction to paroxetine some years back, but found starting mirtazapine fairly easy in terms of side effects.

Good luck.

Avasmummy_x
02-12-14, 15:25
Morning anxiety has almost dissapeared. Afternoon and night time are hell.

It's a start. :)

hanshan
06-12-14, 07:41
Hi Avasmummy,

How's it going? I hope the afternoons and nights are getting better.

Avasmummy_x
08-12-14, 18:41
Having good and bad days hanshan.
Yesterday I felt great. No anxiety at all.
Today has been horrendous ending in me having a panic attack in public in the streets my worst nightmare!!
Thinking I may need to switch the times of my meds x