PDA

View Full Version : blood tests. Scared

susie1
12-11-14, 17:34
I posted on IBS forum. I had blood tests today as have constant diarrhoea for 4 weeks. I suffer from HA. The bloods are what my gp called an MOT plus inflammatory markers. Am petrified. She says they may be back Monday. I was hoping sooner as the wait is terrifying me. can anyone tell me if they would show up colon or bowel cancer?

almamatters
12-11-14, 17:42
I have asked my GP this question loads of times and they always say the same thing. Blood tests alone do not show up bowel cancer but they usually expect your bloods to be a bit of of sync if there is something going on. I get IBS as well and have the same fears as you . x

susie1
12-11-14, 17:45
Thanks for your reply. they say it could show up any kind if inflammation but assume the only way they will tell is if the bloods suggest needing a colonoscopy?

almamatters
12-11-14, 17:54
I'm not an expert but have had loads of tests and if there is a problem with your bloods then you are usually referred on for further tests.

susie1
13-11-14, 21:10
Bloods were back today! My gp just text. All clear. She said she wished hers were as normal as mine! Does that mean I won't need a colonoscopy, even if diarrhoea continues?

almamatters
13-11-14, 21:23
Not sure Susie about the colonoscopy but if your GP thought it was necessary you would have been referred for one. Great news your bloods are normal. x

chickpea
14-11-14, 10:15
Before a colonoscopy, you could request a faecal calprotectin test. This is a stool sample test that can show if there is inflammation and is more sensitive and accurate than a blood test.
It is used to differentiate symptoms caused by IBS and those caused by something else.