PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my lungs? (Breathing probs)

Wishingstar
27-08-04, 21:36
I'm not a good poster and don't visit the forum too much, so hello to those I havent met yet. :)

Just wanted to run something by you all since I have read so much here tonight that sounds just like me. I'm hoping someone will respond to say, "Me too! Stop worrying!" But as always, I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is panic/anxiety or if I should go see my GP.

So here's what's happening with me: for about a week now, I've been feeling like I'm getting a cold. But I don't think I am. There is a very strange sensation in my chest/throat area when I breath. It isn't really breathlessness, which I've had and this is definitely different. It's more like when you use too much cleaner when you're scrubbing the tub and you start coughing because of the fumes.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wheezing a bit....and then have to sort of cough to clear whatever it is bothering me. It's so strange...I know I'm not explaining it well but I'm hoping someone else has had something similar and will understand! :)

It comes and goes, and is sometimes gets worse and better...or should I say, more noticeable and then better.

I've started going to the gym and swimming almost every day of the week for the past month. Could I maybe be reacting to the chemicals in the pool????

PLease help put my silly mind at ease! :)

Thanks so much!

seh1980
27-08-04, 22:19
hello there,

I had exactly what you are describing for a few days last week. I thought I was getting a cold and then it suddenly went away. I have no idea what it was but as you have the same thing, I guess it could very well be a symptom of anxiety. Don't worry - you're not the only one!

Sarah :D

lainey
31-08-04, 12:58
Hi there

If it makes you feel better I have had the same symptoms twice in the last few days, although I have had amny physical symptoms in the last few months associated with anxiety these are new to me as well. I find if i lie down and do some diaphragmatic breathing it really helps. Reading your post has put my mind at ease as i was beginning to wonder if something was wrong as well, so you are not alone....

Take care
Elaine:D

jo-jo
31-08-04, 22:31
Hiya

I get the chest/wheezy thing on and off too and I know that its anxiety related. Meg has explained to me that when we get anxious our lungs expand and so we get the feeling that we're short of breath even though we're not really. Don't worry too much about the exercise, in the long run all that swimming will definately have heaps of health benefits :D

Lots of love Jo xxx

sal
01-09-04, 00:06
Hi

Well done for going to the gym and swimming that will help you in the long run with your anxiety.

What you are suffering is quite common for all that suffer anxiety so please reassure yourself it is only that.

It will pass and you will feel so much better soon.

You have done so well, keep it up, a positive attitude always helps.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

Purdybird
01-09-04, 09:21
Hi

I also get a strange, sort of very mild irritation/tickle thing in my throat. Until I read your post I found it really hard to explain, but you are dead right it does feel like the irritation you get from using too much bathroom cleaner.
YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT ALONE I get that too. I'm reassured that you get it as well. I put it down to all my neck, shoulders etc being really tense. I often also feel like someone is pressing on my throat.
When I really relax I find they almost always disappear.

Purdybird x

Wishingstar
01-09-04, 12:22
Wow! Thank you all so much for replying and putting my mind at ease. I will definitely keep up the swimming then. I've been avoiding it the last few days....still going to the gym tho, just doing more of the bikes and treadmill instead (go me!) :)

I really am so relieved that this is a common panic thing....altho I did think I was symptom free for a little while since all the old stuff seemed to go away. Guess I still have some work to do. Oh well!

It has been a little bit better the last few days but I was putting that down to the lack of pool exposure. GUess the true test will be to go tomorrow and see how I feel. Would be a shame to have to give up the swimming since I've discovered I really love it. :)

THanks again everyone. :)

lainey
01-09-04, 12:52
Hi there,

Glad you feel better, enjoy your swim.

take care chuck,

Elaine xxx

Meg
01-09-04, 15:46
How was the swim ?

As well as this being an anxiety symptom, its true that when you swim you are taking in new chemicals and smells both by mouth and just by breathing and they may be slightly irritant initially to you.

If you were very sensitive to them you'd have really known it by now so certainly don't let it put you off at all.

Well done on all your exercise .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Wishingstar
03-09-04, 22:36
Hey thanks for askin'! My swim was fine! I tried it yesterday for a just a short one (15 min or so) and today for the full half hour and I haven't had any problems at all...so it was indeed likely just anxiety stuff. You all were such a big help. Really put my mind at ease to know that others were able to understand.

Thanks everyone! :)