PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do

eeesh
14-11-14, 16:03
Just need some advice. I will heed it.

These past 10 weeks or so I have been developing symptoms. I have never suffered from HA before, but do have a personality that is prone to this sort of thing so I have that borne in mind - hence being on this forum

I'll do a timeline to keep things succinct.

10 weeks ago - abdominal pain in the flanks developed. I saw a doctor about it and was suggested to 'take gaviscon'. It was no indigestion. I got a blood test.
9 weeks ago - bloods came back with slightly low WBC and slightly low lymphocytes.
8 weeks ago - Lymph nodes in groin swell. Nothing enormous, but to the point that they are visible. Saw a 3 doctors (a bit mad) all said they were of no concern.
7 weeks ago - other blood tests come back and WBC had risen, but lymphocytes still low.

All this persisted, the lymph nodes are still up in my groin and I have developed a constant chest ache, which I am worried could be due to lymph swelling in my lungs (probably a silly suggestion).

I begged for a scan of some sort so am due for an ultrasound on the 26th November.

Should I do anything about the lung pain, or leave it be? I don't want to make any rash decisions, I have bugged enough doctors already. I do feel that something is wrong though and want it sorted. My main concern is lymphoma thanks to doctor Google.

Just a constant worrying niggle, if not always at the forefront of my mind, certainly always in the background!

Canbud
14-11-14, 16:17
I'm not a doctor of course, but if those were my symptoms I would assume I had some sort of infection rather than lymphoma. I've had Hodgkins Lymphoma, and at least in my case none of those symptoms you describe fit. If three docs gave you an all-clear re your direst concerns, I would let that reassure me.

I always ask my doctor for a differential diagnosis: if not this, then what are the possibilities? I do better when I have possible reasons for my symptoms, however benign.

cmclarke
14-11-14, 16:39
do not google symptoms, it will always tell you something terrible.

It sounds like you are struggling with some health anxiety. Check around here and see how people have dealt. There are tons of good suggestions. I wish I had found this website when I was in the throws of my HA! Take care.

eeesh
14-11-14, 17:28
Thank you for the advice everyone. And, Canbud that is reassuring!

Another niggle in the back of my head is HIV.

Had a pretty high risk encounter in mid-June. Also multiple protected encounters up until 20th August or thereabouts.

Was tested end of September, and came back clear, which suggests everything is more than likely O.K. Worried that maybe a condom tore that I am unaware of. I was the active partner and the intercourse was straight.

Might get another test but part of me thinks that could be 'giving in' to the anxiety, except there is a very slim chance I could have caught something.

What would you do?

chickpea
14-11-14, 19:38
What do you mean by "pretty high risk encounter"?
I'm asking because you obviously think you have out yourself at risk - but this thought might also be anxiety-driven, and maybe you are overthinking how risky it actually was?

eeesh
14-11-14, 19:52
What do you mean by "pretty high risk encounter"?
I'm asking because you obviously think you have out yourself at risk - but this thought might also be anxiety-driven, and maybe you are overthinking how risky it actually was?

One night stand in Ibiza - the condom split, and didn't realise until after the deed...

I was tested 90 days after this encounter and it came back negative. So, the chances of the test having not picked this up are absolutely minuscule so I am not too worried about anything from this encounter in particular.

I've had a handful since, all have been protected though.

The test would have been 5 weeks after last potential exposure.

So the odds of her having it, the condom having not worked, plus it actually being transmitted, seem absolutely tiny. So tiny it doesn't bare thinking about.

But still I'm worried.

I suppose it's having these symptoms but no explanation. So all I can do is try to pinpoint what might be causing all this. I feel generally fine in myself health wise, apart from these constant flank aches, and now lung pain. I probably would not pay much attention to either if it wasn't for the lymph nodes which has exacerbated things.

chickpea
14-11-14, 20:03
One night stand in Ibiza - the condom split, and didn't realise until after the deed...

I was tested 90 days after this encounter and it came back negative. So, the chances of the test having not picked this up are absolutely minuscule so I am not too worried about anything from this encounter in particular.

I've had a handful since, all have been protected though.

The test would have been 5 weeks after last potential exposure.

So the odds of her having it, the condom having not worked, plus it actually being transmitted, seem absolutely tiny. So tiny it doesn't bare thinking about.

But still I'm worried.

I suppose it's having these symptoms but no explanation. So all I can do is try to pinpoint what might be causing all this. I feel generally fine in myself health wise, apart from these constant flank aches, and now lung pain. I probably would not pay much attention to either if it wasn't for the lymph nodes which has exacerbated things.

Aside from the fact that you've tested negative already following the Ibiza encounter, you are assuming that that partner was HIV positive themselves - which in itself is fairly unlikely, isn't it?

I can understand your reasoning, about trying to find an explanation for your symptoms but I suspect it's only going to lead to more worry - now you're worrying about HIV, but when you've ruled that out, what next?

eeesh
14-11-14, 21:27
Aside from the fact that you've tested negative already following the Ibiza encounter, you are assuming that that partner was HIV positive themselves - which in itself is fairly unlikely, isn't it?

I can understand your reasoning, about trying to find an explanation for your symptoms but I suspect it's only going to lead to more worry - now you're worrying about HIV, but when you've ruled that out, what next?

This is the thing. I thought lymphoma, then thought that was probably unlikely, so I thought HIV, but that seems very unlikely too.

What I do know is something has been awry these past few months. I just don't know what.

I don't know what I'd prefer: to have the ultrasound on the 26th and find out something is wrong, or for them to find nothing. Then I'm just insane.

Either way there is an issue.