PDA

View Full Version : Doctor called me about my urine sample

almamatters
14-11-14, 18:54
My GP took a sample of my urine to test for a bladder infection as he found traces of blood in it. The surgery called me today and said there was no infection found and I have to take another sample in , in about 2 weeks. I am very anxious as this means I have blood in my urine and no infection. Plus I have still not had a period and am emotions are all over the place. Thanks for reading.

Canbud
14-11-14, 19:03
Same boat here. I consider myself quite an expert since I've been reading about it for about two months now. :winks:

From what I understand, it's pretty common, and RARELY IF EVER is a symptom of cancer if you're young. And I mean the chances are as remote as a comet hitting you. Usually, it's caused by a UTI, kidney stones, or medication that thins the blood. Often they can't find a reason, so they watch you for awhile.

It is nerve-wracking.

almamatters
14-11-14, 19:23
Hi Thanks for your reply. I am not that young , I am 42, I definitely do not have a UTI which is why I am worried. I am not currently on any meds. It is not blood you can see if the urine, it was only picked up by a dipstick.

MrAndy
14-11-14, 19:35
It's very common I've had it twice now and they found I had a small kidney stone
You will be fine

Annie0904
14-11-14, 19:37
If you were told to take another sample in in 2 weeks then they mustn't be thinking it is anything serious otherwise they would have you in for tests straight away. There are many non serious reasons why you could have traces of blood in your urine.

almamatters
14-11-14, 19:52
Thank you both for your replies, looking back through my old threads I posted about this a while ago so I have obviously had this before. xx

Canbud
14-11-14, 20:12
If you were told to take another sample in in 2 weeks then they mustn't be thinking it is anything serious otherwise they would have you in for tests straight away. There are many non serious reasons why you could have traces of blood in your urine.

The usual procedure is that they take a 2nd, and sometimes a 3rd sample. They want to rule out any false positives or other anomalies which can account for test results.

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Hi Thanks for your reply. I am not that young , I am 42, I definitely do not have a UTI which is why I am worried. I am not currently on any meds. It is not blood you can see if the urine, it was only picked up by a dipstick.

RE Dipstick--they usually do a second test in the lab because the dipstick can sometimes be inaccurate.

Re trace amounts-- A friend of mine, who is 63, has trace amounts all the time. Guess it's the norm for her.

However, I understand the worry. I'm 57 and presently have two urine samples which showed microscopic blood. The amount was considered "moderate" (from a range of few, moderate, and many RBC's). I'm getting an ultrasound next week and have a referral to a urologist. All standard operating procedure, but damn nerve-wracking.

almamatters
14-11-14, 20:51
Hi what are RBC's ? I have no idea how much blood showed up as I was too anxious to ask. I hope you go on ok at your ultrasound, I had my last one in Feb 2013 and I remember them checking my bladder. x

chickpea
14-11-14, 21:06
RBC = red blood cell.

flatterycat
14-11-14, 21:28
I always have trace blood and no infection in my samples. I've also been through the hell of worrying about it. Now that I'm in a state about something else I've forgotten about it.

X

Canbud
14-11-14, 22:25
Hi what are RBC's ? I have no idea how much blood showed up as I was too anxious to ask. I hope you go on ok at your ultrasound, I had my last one in Feb 2013 and I remember them checking my bladder. x

RBC's are just the red blood cells, which is what they're referring to when they say there's blood in your urine.

Edited to add: The way I cope is to get as much information as I can get, but that's not everyone's strategy which is totally ok. I think I'm making you feel more anxious rather than less with my questions, so I'll leave this one alone.

MRS STRESS ED
14-11-14, 22:34

Excuse me alma lol �� you are very young �� try not to worry about it,I have known alot of people who have had this happen it turned out to be nothing xx

almamatters
14-11-14, 22:40
RBC's are just the red blood cells, which is what they're referring to when they say there's blood in your urine.

Edited to add: The way I cope is to get as much information as I can get, but that's not everyone's strategy which is totally ok. I think I'm making you feel more anxious rather than less with my questions, so I'll leave this one alone.

You are not making me more anxious at all. I have found your information very helpful, I was just not sure what RBC's were. I also like to be informed so it's fine. x

Thanks Mrs Stressed. :hugs:

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Thanks Flattery Cat. x

Canbud
14-11-14, 22:58
[QUOTE=almamatters;1372285]You are not making me more anxious at all. I have found your information very helpful, I was just not sure what RBC's were. I also like to be informed so it's fine. x

oh ok--thanks for letting me know. :)