PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help.. :(

PaladinX
14-11-14, 21:21
I don't have good insurance.. I currently get xanax .25 mg from my doctor for anxiety.. I suffer from general anxiety .. as well as panic attacks.. or i hope panic attacks and not some kind of heart SVT or something else.. I typically carry the xanax around with me and use it whenever i feel nervous or a panic attack coming.. I know its addictive and im concerned about it.. im not even sure what the right amount for someone my age/size is.. Im assuming .25 is the lowest... I been getting these heart racing things at night when im dozing off, or waking up with a nervous feeling and than my heart races and im hot and sweating.. I been thinking of going on a regime.. taking a xanax every night before i go to sleep since than is when the problem seems to happen now a days... I was thinking of doing this for 2 weeks, and just seeing how i feel.. how much xanax is safe to take without forming some kind of addiction.. I usually use it infrequently.. could be a week before i use, it, or i use it 3 x a week.. its random.. Just wanted to know your thoughts on that.. and if anyone had any other recommendations .. such as another medicine or supplement etc. I don't think i suffer from depression... but of course im down about my problems.. but when im feeling good generally i think I am in a good mood.. Its mostly fear for me and health anxiety... worried about my heart constantly and easily startled.. always on high alert.. always scared of my heart racing.. always checking my pulse.. never wanting to drive.. or travel etc etc..
sorry for the long post.. just feeling desperate

regards
paul

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-14, 05:03
Hi Paul,

I would be wary of a regular regime because I would assume it would be more likely to adjust to the dose meaning you will need as higher one in the future. Its worth researching that issue to see if a regular regime causes dose escalation, which you want to avoid. I only used it before my GP recommended a regular SSRI as my anxiety was going to be longer term and then I used them only occassionally and to help me get onto the SSRI. When I relaped and went onto a SNRI, I only used them a couple of times when the side effects were just too much to give me a break for a few hours (which did help).

Do you feel it would be better to try an anti depressant instead so that you have something working more often? These are meant for regular daily usage and don't have the habit forming properties of the older Benzodiazapenes.

You could also look towards the natural route. I saw you posting on the magnesium threads a few days back and one of these has had a few more comments since that may help you.

PaladinX
15-11-14, 06:33
Yeah i understand.. I know people have taken xanax for years and strong doses.. I only wanted to take 1 pill a night for maybe a week or two.. because my attacks have been coming at night these days, and I am no sure if its a panic attack or SVT type arrhythmia. Usually I only take xanax when I need it.. my prescription says 1 every 8 hours or as needed. I thought maybe one week straight of taking 1 .25 mg a night wouldn't make me tolerant or dependant, but maybe I am wrong.. I don't' know much about anxiety meds or what would work best for me to be honest. I would just like something to make me feel better.. not to get panic attacks or always feel on edge.. and a better mood im sure wouldn't hurt.

best regards
paul