PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean if my doctor orders blood tests we didn't talk about?

bulan
15-11-14, 07:57
I could really use some perspective right now. I've been hit by a totally unexpected wave of health anxiety, and I'm sitting here trembling, looking at the doctor's blood work requisition, wondering what he suspects I may have...

I went to the doctor today because I had pain in my neck and throat. After examining me, he suggested doing a little blood work. I thought it was just going to be a CBC (complete blood count), along with Vit. B12, and a check-up of my thyroid. But he also checked off Glucose, TSH, Creatine, ALT, and Alk. Phosphatase... things involved with liver and kidney function, and the word "diabetics" came up several times when I looked into these things.

Does anyone know if it's standard for doctors to check these things specifically, especially when they don't talk about it with the patient? It's 3:00 a.m. here and I should be sleeping, but this has me too afraid to sleep. :(

susie1
15-11-14, 08:44
HI

I'm not an expert but my doctor sent bloods off for me last week. I have what I hope is only an IBS problem but she sent off what she called an MOT set of tests which I think included the ones you just mentioned. The nurse took 3 different sets. I was , as I always am, because with HA as soon as you send off bloods, ridiculously you think there is more chance of finding something! My bloods have all come back normal. Now I am glad she ran a full test. I honestly think it wlll be routine to check your general heath. Please try not to worry.

chickpea
15-11-14, 12:34
Agree with the above post.
I have seen my GP twice in the last 6 months, both times with different symptoms (first was a persistent cough, second was stomach issues). Both times she said she was going to do an MOT of blood tests, which pretty much included what you've said you're being tested for.

I don't think it means they are thinking about a specific diagnosis, more checking your general health.

Canbud
15-11-14, 17:49
Try not to worry bulan--the thing about blood tests is that they measure a million different things in a million different combinations. I don't think your doctor is suspecting something or testing for something and keeping it from you.

When my doctor orders blood work it's that way too--every darn thing gets checked off.

(By the way, TSH is for your thyroid--I'm hypothyroid and get it tested all the time.)

bulan
19-11-14, 05:05
Everyone, I can't express how grateful I am for your help. Thank you for letting me know this stuff is truly routine. I ended up in the ER with chest pains the other night, and they did blood work right away, all of which came back fine. Thanks again!!

Canbud
19-11-14, 15:08
At least there's one benefit of waiting in an ER--you get your blood results quick!

bulan
21-11-14, 05:11
True!