PDA

View Full Version : Worried about taking co-codamol

BumbleGirl
15-11-14, 23:31
Hi everyone,

Today I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. The dr prescribed me co-codamol but the only thing is I have a fear about taking new tablets :-(
I have been taking my own painkillers today but they aren't helping that much and I know I really need to take something stronger. I'm just worried I will be really out of it on them (hate the thought of losing control) or I will have an allergic reaction.

Advice please xx

eeesh
15-11-14, 23:40
How many mgs of codeine is there per tab?

Normally in the UK it's 8mg of Codeine and 500mg of Paracetemol. So 2 tabs (recommended dose) is 16mg of Codeine and 1g of Paracetemol. At this sort of dosage you will feel no noticeable difference.

Honestly, I have taken upwards of 100mg at a time of codeine and felt very little in terms of mental state, other than mild euphoria and relaxation. Definitely not a feeling to worry about!

Oh, and Codeine is one of the most widely used drugs in the world. It's an opiate derivative from the poppy plant. Your liver will convert the codeine into morphine. This stuff is in cough syrup! Seriously, the chances of you having an allergic reaction are basically zero, especially at the low doses we are talking about here.

BumbleGirl
15-11-14, 23:44
I'm not sure. I need to put the prescription in tomorrow. Thank you though. That has made me feel a bit better xx

eeesh
15-11-14, 23:50
I'm not sure. I need to put the prescription in tomorrow. Thank you though. That has made me feel a bit better xx

I think the prescribed ones tend to be 32mg of codeine per tab. My brother was given them after his wisdom teeth were removed. If you have no opiate tolerance, and you have an empty stomach, you may feel slightly woozy if you take 2 at once. Certainly wouldn't make you lose control though.

Your doctor would not prescribe you anything that would make you lose control. Codeine certainly is not the drug that would do that - I have a reasonable amount of experience with it myself, in dosages much higher than what we're discussing here.

Catherine S
16-11-14, 00:32
Alot of people swear by Co-Codamol for pain relief, but like you, anything stronger than a paracetamol or ibuprofen makes me nervous, as it is a stronger painkiller than most over the counter ones. My hubby suffers with back pain from time to time and takes these when it flares up and is fine with them, but I can remember some years ago taking one for a swollen painful knee and felt spaced out for the rest of the afternoon! I suppose its like any drug...one size doesn't fit all. Maybe you could ask a pharmacist for something that would deal with the pain without having a strong drug like coedine in it if this makes you nervous? Let us know if you find an alternative, or indeed if you decide to take the co-codamol and are ok with it.

ISB x

Fishmanpa
16-11-14, 00:49
Heck... I'll take them if you don't want them! :D

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
16-11-14, 00:50
:D Mark!

Fishmanpa
16-11-14, 00:52
:D Mark!

What?! ~lol~ I have Tramadol I take every day... a little codeine would be wonderful now and again!

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
16-11-14, 00:53
I had some for a bad back but they didn't agree with me. I took one and it made me feel really sick so never took them again.

Perhaps I should sell mine to Mark :whistles:

Catherine S
16-11-14, 01:05
:emot-nod: lol!

HalfJack
16-11-14, 02:16
I took them for tooth ache once and they were great (prescription). If you eat them on an empty stomach they will probably make you feel poorly, I made that mistake once or twice. They made me feel a bit sleepy but they don't make you loose control or anything.
They have that don't operate machinery type feel but thats it.
Ultimety though, you won't know what they're like until you try them x

Catherine S
16-11-14, 02:30
The 'do not operate machinery' type of feeling...love it lol!

Magic
16-11-14, 11:23
I take cocodamol with or after food. I find them ok. They are a bit strong . But not as strong as tramadol. I am having them on prescription . It says take two four times a day. If I took what it says I would be asleep all the time. So I only take when pain is bad. tend to make me constipated but have medication for that too.
You carn't win :shrug:

eeesh
16-11-14, 12:48
I take cocodamol with or after food. I find them ok. They are a bit strong . But not as strong as tramadol. I am having them on prescription . It says take two four times a day. If I took what it says I would be asleep all the time. So I only take when pain is bad. tend to make me constipated but have medication for that too.
You carn't win :shrug:

Oh yeah, constipation is another very common side effect.

If you're eating plenty of fibre it should not be a problem though.

Rennie1989
16-11-14, 14:08
I took prescription strength for frozen shoulder and they just made me sleepy. I resorted to paracetamol and ibuprofen for the day time and co-codamol for night to help me sleep.

spacebunnyx
16-11-14, 14:38
I worry about meds too. See my thread on steroids. Have taken cocodemol for endometriosis... No probs at all.

Xxx

Magic
16-11-14, 16:22
I would like to be able to take ibuprofen but because I take aspirin GP will not let me.:mad:xx