PDA

View Full Version : Please advise!

lildude6666
15-11-14, 23:41
I am getting over my silly worries day by day. I have recently been for a rapid hiv test, the result was non reactive meaning negative. I have been with my current partner for nearly 4 years, so my hiv risk would have been just before i met him so 4 years with no exposure. I am obviously over the moon about receiving the negative test but i am worried that my lymph nodes as they seem like the size of peanuts down by my groin, they have been like it for the past few years and the variation of doctors are not worried. The main worry i have is that my result could have been a false negative as they do happen, or should i just move on now as many people tell me to do!!

eeesh
15-11-14, 23:45
I am getting over my silly worries day by day. I have recently been for a rapid hiv test, the result was non reactive meaning negative. I have been with my current partner for nearly 4 years, so my hiv risk would have been just before i met him so 4 years with no exposure. I am obviously over the moon about receiving the negative test but i am worried that my lymph nodes as they seem like the size of peanuts down by my groin, they have been like it for the past few years and the variation of doctors are not worried. The main worry i have is that my result could have been a false negative as they do happen, or should i just move on now as many people tell me to do!!

False negatives do not happen. At least incredibly rarely.

With current testing procedures (3rd and 4th generation), the tests can be considered conclusive 8 weeks post exposure, although the NHS adheres to older guidelines of 3 months. If you are in the clear 3 months post exposure you have no need to worry.

Unless your immune system is severely compromised. Note the word 'severely', it will show up on a test. If you were tested more than 6 months post exposure there is absolutely no way the test could be wrong, regardless of the condition of your immune system.

You're in the clear. Stop worrying yourself over nothing.

lildude6666
16-11-14, 00:14
False negatives do not happen. At least incredibly rarely.

With current testing procedures (3rd and 4th generation), the tests can be considered conclusive 8 weeks post exposure, although the NHS adheres to older guidelines of 3 months. If you are in the clear 3 months post exposure you have no need to worry.

Unless your immune system is severely compromised. Note the word 'severely', it will show up on a test. If you were tested more than 6 months post exposure there is absolutely no way the test could be wrong, regardless of the condition of your immune system.

You're in the clear. Stop worrying yourself over nothing.

thankyou for that you have completely put my mind at ease now which means i can watch a movie and not worry :)

CleverLittleViper
16-11-14, 09:29
There is absolutely no such thing as a false negative. I don't know where you're getting that information from, but it is WRONG. I suppose there *could* be if you tested like a week after exposure, but that's not the case here. You have to stop reading things on the internet because clearly, wherever you're getting your information from, is unreliable and patently false.

Swollen lymph nodes are not just a sign of HIV. There's other things that can cause them. If your doctors aren't worried, why are you?