PDA

View Full Version : Have made the appointment but so scared..

JustJules
16-11-14, 10:42
Have got a drs appointment as feel like people were getting frustrated with me for not heeding advice but don't even think I can wait then. So now I am thinking of going to the out of hours but terrified that they will admit me and I will be stuck on one of those awful medical assessment wards as I was once before and virtually ignored and saw no Dr for about 6 hours. This backache and low down stomached ache has been awful since Friday...had to come back from a shopping trip yesterday because I felt so ill with it. Wake up having to run to loo but it makes me feel worse after which is not the usual case. Feel nauseous and can't eat. I can't feel any lumps or bumps in tummy and there is no blood when I go but apparently you can have bowel cancer without blood...I am really in a right state here in bed...OH has gone out, house is a mess as he's not supportive in that way and all I can think of is that if I end up in hospital which I feel this is on the cards with feeling this bad..that that is the slippery slope to neglect and I won't be in control of what they do and may need surgery...I really am absolutely petrified. Wish I could just think this could be IBS but it's never been like this before...terrified they are going to open me up and find it all has spread and will never come out again...gosh I'm listening to myself writing this and I am a mess but sick of trying to keep it all inside as nowhere to turn.

chickpea
16-11-14, 15:28
I am so, so pleased you have made the appointment - that must have taken a lot of courage, I know.

Let's break down what may happen into steps, so you don't feel quite so panic-stricken.
1/ Your GP will listen to your symptoms.
2/ He will ask you questions to get more detail.
3/ He will probably do basic tests like take your blood pressure, feel your abdomen, listen to your chest etc.
4/ He might make suggestions as to what could be happening with you.
5/ He probably suggest blood tests and a stool sample.
6/ He might mention other tests, like a colonoscopy, depending on the test results.

Ask for a faecal calprotectin test, and if he doesn't already know, make sure you tell him of your previous diagnosis of Crohn's and your op. (Doctors don't always look back at medical history notes). If you think you will be too anxious, write down everything you have been feeling, symptoms, relevant past history etc and hand it to him.

Nothing is going to happen without your say so, and certainly not immediately so please don't panic.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me - I have been where you are.xxx

miss sparkle
16-11-14, 19:26
Aw jules. We spoke very briefly on another thread last week. You are braver than me ao big thumbs up for that. I am still in same situation but still cannot book a appointment :(

lily1
16-11-14, 19:40
Hi,

I think I read on one of your previous posts that you had a clear colonoscopy 5 years ago?

If that is the case I'm sure you are finex

I had the same fears as you as I had a change in bowel habits for a year. Suddenly stopped after taking antibiotics.

You are doing the right thing seeing your doctor and getting it sortedx

JustJules
17-11-14, 12:17
Thanks Chickpea and all for your responses. I just need to get my head around all this and stop panicking.

Lily I think my colonoscopy was actually a little more than 5 years ago so that wouldn't necessarily be okay.