PDA

View Full Version : Pain/discomfort when lying on left side

Abarth
16-11-14, 12:33
Hi All, anyone experience this? I have been going through a recurrence of health anxiety over the last few months following a back injury. I don't know if it is because I have been so sedentary because of the back, but i started to get chest pains on the left side, feeling breathless, tight chest, burning/restless legs etc. Going through the usual motions of med testing etc and all ok so far ( oher than 3 bulging discs in spine). However, the chest/heart pain is not diminishing and in particular I find that when I sleep on my left it is quite uncomfortable. It almost feels as if my heart/lung is squashing and I get sort of dull stabbing pains and a feelig of sort of breathlessness. Sounds odd, but I don't know how else to describe it. Big fears include DVT/PE, heart and lungs. Dr thinks anxiety and costocondritis. It feels strange posting this as I usually reply to other posts, however my anxiety is shocking at the moment. GP has put me on sertraline, which isn't helpnig my symptoms yet. I was hoping to get rid of the symptoms, then hit the sert as a long term solution. However, as the physical symptoms are not going away, I have bitten the bullet on recommendation from my GP as I want to keep her onside. Really fed up and very tired. Sound familiar??

eeesh
16-11-14, 12:53
Hi All, anyone experience this? I have been going through a recurrence of health anxiety over the last few months following a back injury. I don't know if it is because I have been so sedentary because of the back, but i started to get chest pains on the left side, feeling breathless, tight chest, burning/restless legs etc. Going through the usual motions of med testing etc and all ok so far ( oher than 3 bulging discs in spine). However, the chest/heart pain is not diminishing and in particular I find that when I sleep on my left it is quite uncomfortable. It almost feels as if my heart/lung is squashing and I get sort of dull stabbing pains and a feelig of sort of breathlessness. Sounds odd, but I don't know how else to describe it. Big fears include DVT/PE, heart and lungs. Dr thinks anxiety and costocondritis. It feels strange posting this as I usually reply to other posts, however my anxiety is shocking at the moment. GP has put me on sertraline, which isn't helpnig my symptoms yet. I was hoping to get rid of the symptoms, then hit the sert as a long term solution. However, as the physical symptoms are not going away, I have bitten the bullet on recommendation from my GP as I want to keep her onside. Really fed up and very tired. Sound familiar??

The area you describe is around the lat muscle and also the abs. They could well be spasming due to the back injury in that position that can generate stabbing pains. Anxiety can do this as well so it could well be a combination of the two. Maybe it was initially muscular, and this triggered anxiety which has worsened things.

I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. I have something similar at the moment and it worries me too. But it's silly. Most people I speak to get lung pain etc every now and then.

Abarth
16-11-14, 14:31
Hi Eesh, thanks for the reply. You could be right, but the sleep thing is something that has been there for a while and it doesn't feel muscular. I'm trying to keep thinking it's just the anxiety, but my head keeps saying pulminary!! Such is the way we think!