PDA

View Full Version : Overthinking and Upset

tonkaboy
17-11-14, 12:57
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, which is good because I've been doing very well for the last couple of years.

However, I'm struggling at the moment after over doing it at work since the end of the summer. I've been working on an extremely important and compressed programme, which has seen me pushing myself harder than I have in a long time. I've rung in sick this morning, which I hate to do but I feel I just need a bit of breathing space for a few days. I see my GP on Wednesday.

I suffer from GAD, which has affected me on and off throughout my adult life, however, it is only recently that it has been given a specific label.

I'm a test engineer by profession, who has had a life time of analysing data and reporting conclusions. It's at the very core of my being. And I'm very good at it, by all accounts.

However, when I over do it, I get tired and stressed (probably like any normal person). This triggers my anxiety and the over thinking then starts. I try to analyse why I'm feeling like I do and get into a battle of logic in my head. this inevitably leads to the thoughts - what if this isn't anxiety and you're suffering from delusions - what if you've done something really bad and can't remember it. How do I know this is all real? As you can't answer these questions logically beyond a shadow of doubt, up goes the anxiety levels.

I feel pathetic for being like this, why can't I just accept the truth - I have an anxiety disorder and the strange thoughts are just a symptom. Instead, I just get more and more wound up trying to find an answer. Probably the most upsetting thought is when I look at my children and question if I recognise them. I know I do but the thought destroys me.

I just want to get back to being the confident and loving father I know I can be. Why do I do this to myself?

I've recently tried MBCT and found that to be useful as it forces me to slow down but when I've very anxious, it doesn't calm me down.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else can relate to what I'm saying as anxiety can be a pretty lonely place, even if you're surrounded by people.

Cheers

Andy:unsure:

SOBAY310
17-11-14, 18:22
Hi Andy,

I think I'm in the same boat as you. Around 7 years ago I had bad anxiety and after talking to others here and reading about anxiety I was able to go this whole time without a setback. Last month I had a huge panic attack with a racing heart and even though I know it was due to stress and too much caffeine, I find myself in that dark, depressing, anxiety hole again.

I am struggling because I can't enjoy the moment without having my mind tell me that a panic attack is right around the corner, even though it never comes. I look at my kids and feel so bad that I can't be completely happy because I have my mind racing towards everything that could go wrong. It's hard for me to concentrate or be real excited to do fun things because I fear anxiety will get in my way.

I think you and I love our life and our kids so much that we are so scared that our anxiety condition is going to roll into something else. What if we get depressed and can't ever snap out of it? What if we can't ever shake this general anxiety feeling and we can't enjoy our life like we once did? All the what if's in the world keep beating us down.

Like you, I just want to be that strong Dad and person again. I've gotten through this before, like you have, but it's so exhausting to go through over and over again. I keep thinking my mind will go numb to all these thoughts and get tired, because I certainly am!

We're in this together, my friend!

tonkaboy
18-11-14, 15:59
Thanks for the encouragement - good day yesterday, bad one today. See the Doc in the morning. I don't want to be signed off work but I do think I need a breather at the moment. Wish I could just turn my mind off when I get like this. The physical stuff doesn't bother me at all but the rumination does my blinking head in!

I need to learn to recognise the warning signs earlier and stop keep breaking myself every couple of years. I think the drive in me to always push myself comes from a deep rooted fear of not being good enough. The amount of work I've got through since the summer has been phenomenal and gets me no end of praise but I think that just feeds the addiction. I need to learn to say 'no' more.

Cheers

Andy