PDA

View Full Version : Getting wound up about stuff far too easily - considering medical help

NE21 worrier
17-11-14, 15:26
Hi folks,

I'm writing this as I feel as if I've hit quite a rough patch recently. I had lots of anticipatory anxiety prior to my trip to Prague last month (although I enjoyed it, as usual) then got overly wound up by someone at work who was mainly just trying to be nice.

Now, this weekend, I've had a drunken falling out with another friend who quite upset me with what he said as he suggested I had not been a particularly supportive person which I felt was harsh. We've not communicated since then though I'm seeing him to see a gig on Wednesday and fear the atmosphere will be awkward, although there will be a couple of others there too.

Nevertheless, I've got myself so wound up about it in the meantime, I've resorted to taking 2mg of diazepam this afternoon to try and settle myself down. I struggled to eat yesterday (eventually managed a sandwich) and, because of my tummy, have not felt like anything today yet.

The diazepam is still in date but was from a meeting from a GP quite a while back. I'm just wondering if I should go back to the docs to try and discuss going back on some longer-term plans/medication to try and help me settle down again.

I've been on Sertraline in the past which helped, I think - but, after being signed off from CBT, I stopped taking it without instructions from the GP as I felt better anyway. I would consider Sertraline again but I remember the side-effects in the first few weeks being difficult and my worry with this is that I don't want it to affect me at work. There I have done well recently as I'm set to join the main day shift from 01-Dec (having just worked part time since June).

As my anxiety seems to go in spells where it focuses intensely and directly on one thing and then dissipates, would perhaps something like a beta blocker would work better?

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

UPDATE

I've sent a message to my friend. I remember Fishmanpa telling me that communication in these matters is key. On this occasion, I wasn't entirely in the right and so I have apologised where I've needed to - I just hope he will accept that I don't want to feel awkward about the whole situation and want to move on so that we can enjoy Wednesday together instead. We'll see...

Annie0904
17-11-14, 19:07
Rather than medication I really think you need CBT to help deal with your anticipatory anxiety issues and the problem with things getting you upset and anxious so easily. I was just the same as you but with therapy have learnt how to put things into perspective and rationalise things to make me calmer. I talk to myself the same as I would if giving some one else advise :D
Newcastle are suddenly doing well :) I wish I could say the same for Liverpool :(

NE21 worrier
18-11-14, 16:04
A further UPDATE if I may:

Last night I finally stopped bottling stuff up and explained what had gone on to my mum at the weekend. I had managed to get myself to work (part-time evenings) but I hadn't eaten particularly well. We talked a fair while and I got upset but she calmed me down and got me talking rationally about things. I practiced some breathing exercises before I went to bed and slept without having to resort to diazepam.

I woke up this morning, still a bit nervy but more exhausted than anything. I recognise this as the comedown from all that used-up adrenaline so I am actually content with feeling like this - even if it will make tonight at work rather tougher. Indeed, this crisis does appear to be over - my friend has just sent me a text, apologising on his part for upsetting me and recognising we would be better just drawing a line under things.

This pleases me a great deal, as you can imagine, and I am going to a gig with him tomorrow which would have been majorly awkward if I had not heard from him. I recognise I've been drinking too much recently and this is not helping.

Indeed, I'm still generally concerned the way I seem to have been living a rollercoaster of emotions recently. I have had two blocks of CBT in the past (about 8-12 sessions each) and they have helped at the time. Unfortunately I still do not think I am very good at keeping up the practice of the techniques. I would like to learn more about mindfulness and relaxation techniques (specifically with regards to breathing). I've read about these things on the internet and in articles but find some of the concepts difficult to understand without being shown them.

I also only mentioned medication as I found Sertraline gave me some time to get off the rollercoaster for a bit (well, after a tough first couple of weeks). I'm still wondering if it might help again...

Thanks for reading,
Peter
PS. Aside from my peaks of anxiety, the last few weeks have been great as a NUFC fan - it's felt like a parallel universe, in fact, and will surely come crashing down sooner rather than later. LFC will surely improve on the return of Sturridge.

wabbit1
18-11-14, 16:09
I'm glad to hear that things have settled with your friends. You definitely sound like you're doing well. and thinking things through. I am on sertraline since May, increased from 100 mg to 150 mg a few weeks ago. I am lucky that the side effects are fairly minimal. Maybe it would be a good idea to give them a go if you think they'll help again.

NE21 worrier
18-11-14, 16:13
Thanks wabbit.

As I say, I'm over the peak of this episode now. I've eaten properly this afternoon and all the muscles around my stomach and throat are calming down. It's exhausting though so my new rational self will consider the way forward tonight - if I don't get too distracted by the football, that is :D