PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks on the tube

Louisemarie
17-11-14, 14:33
Hello,

My Name is Louise, I am 27 years old and I suffered from my first panic attack in July 2012 on the way to work on the Northern Line. The tube stopped in the tunnel as someone on the tube in front of us had pulled the emergency lever. We were stuck in the tunnel for about 10 minutes. I remember sitting down, a lady who was standing in front of me started sighing heavily and I must have taken this as a sign to be panicked - just started feeling so warm, my heart was racing in my chest, I felt out of breath and I thought I was having a heart attack...... I got off the train at Clapham North and just felt so relieved. Then realised how far under ground I actually was. Started thinking how about if it didn't move onto the next station, what if I couldn't get out. It was such an awful feeling, completely out of control. I started building it up in my head and avoided the tube like the plague for the next 6 months. I started CBT at the Priory in London (I have private health cover) in February 2013. Best thing I have ever done and for a while I was fine with the tube, well not 100%, would always want my boyfriend with me just as a security blanket.

Now its November 2014 and I have most definitely got a relapse. If the train stops (overground) on the way home I start to panic. What about if it stays and I can't get out, I start getting really flustered, clammy palms, racing heart. and I just cry!!! because I feel so out of control. Sometimes I wish I could see where we are as in sit with the driver - its like a control thing, just a comfort if I know where we are that we only have so far to go to the next station etc and that way I can calm myself down. Anyways; has anyone had similar experiences and have any advice? I am planning to go back to my doctor and have a refresher course in CBT, I feel I really need it. And go from there; see how it goes.

Louise

Annie0904
17-11-14, 18:43
I had a panic attack on the tube myself a few years ago and it isn't the best place to have one :)
As soon as you get negative thoughts change them to a positive. "What if I panic on the train?"....."What if I don't"? The worse thing that can happen is that you have another panic attack...just say to yourself "well what if I do?. I survived the last one and I can survive this" If you just go along with the panic and accept it, it isn't so bad.

SOBAY310
17-11-14, 19:42
The biggest thing that runs through your head is, "What if I can't get out?". Well, just think, what's wrong with that? Let's say you're trapped in there for a long time (which won't happen), what's the worse thing that can happen? Let the panic come and go within you, but know that you're fine and you're not in any danger.

I deal with the same thing when I fly. As soon as the doors lock I start to panic, but I just let the panic come without fighting and it leaves my mind as fast as it comes.

You'll get through it and the more you face it the better you'll get.