PDA

View Full Version : anyone eles stuck in doors all day with nothing to do

gregcool
17-11-14, 20:37
My new flat isall decorated and now im stuck in all day with nothing to do all day,anyone eles in this situation,what do you do in doors all day

Annie0904
17-11-14, 20:52
Well done on getting it finished :) Did you contact that number again about the support groups? That would give you some where to go.
I do craft activities to keep me occupied at home. Good to get out in the fresh air though so try to get out for a walk every day.

chickpea
17-11-14, 21:01
I'm a stay at home mum, except my children are both in school so I'm home alone.
I spend my days walking my dogs, baking, reading, on Pinterest, going to the library, cleaning and tidying, doing all the usual house stuff etc. I used to go running 3 or 4 times a week, and have done yoga, Pilates, adult education courses, been on the school PTA etc.

How about joining your local library? Or looking into adult education classes - have you got any particular interests?
What about the cinema? I sometimes go in the day and it's good - not hugely busy but not empty either.

saro
17-11-14, 21:02
Yes,

I try to walk once a day to get some fresh air and I also read a lot. Maybe there is a hobby that you want to do but havent got around to doing?

gregcool
17-11-14, 21:13
Annie that number i rang got back to me and there are services for me but none local and require bus service which i just can not afford.i do walk into town once a day takes up a couple of hrs but thats it,then back to the flat for the rest of the day and night,no hobbies that im interested in,im a very fidgity person really cant sit still for long,my local collage is shut at the moment for referb,if it was summer i could spend longer days out in the sun,even the local charity shop hear has nothing for me,feel stuck and dont want to get fed up with my flat by spending far to much time in it,,,its spotless and as its just me in it theres not much house work to do really,,i dont read,i wish i did but have never really been able to get into a book,,dont know what to do with myself,

Annie0904
17-11-14, 21:21
I don't know if anything on here would be more local for you? http://www.do-it.org.uk/search/opportunities?latLng=51.753570%2C-0.463760&location=Hemel+Hempstead+-+Hemel+Hempstead+Hertfordshire&distance=1&unit=mile

gregcool
17-11-14, 22:02
Thanks annie ill have a look into this,:)

IrishLondon
17-11-14, 22:14
Hi Greg - have you thought about setting up a blog? I think writing really helps my anxiety and I'm thinking of maybe starting one as well.

lior
17-11-14, 22:35
Volunteering is a really good idea. It can be hard to do stuff on your own when you are depressed, even if you are normally interested in it.

Catherine S
18-11-14, 03:03
I feel the same but for different reasons Greg, since I have retired. I worked as a Gp's secretary for some years and now find i'm lost with empty days to fill. Then again, i'm an adaptable person...was a nightclub singer before I started having children and went from that into administration jobs which was necessary to pay the bills. But I miss my colleagues and my responsibilities in a job I was good at but which somebody else now does. It's hard to adjust, but I have to find a way to deal with it, and I agree with the volunteering side of life, and am looking into this for myself at the moment.

Its so lovely to know you have your flat...your own place to be is important. Put the kettle on and I'll come and have a brew with you ok? I'll bring the cakes :)

ISB x

MyNameIsTerry
18-11-14, 07:22
Hey Greg, take a look at that site Annie has posted for you. Do-It list national openings for charities and you have a very specific problem - you are too far away from a lot of the things you could do, however, Do-IT has a section for online or remote volunteering. These can be working through spreadsheets for charities all the way to being an editor for the online charity magazines or theatrical charities.

musiclover
18-11-14, 08:38
Do you have a local Mind network? They have groups and drop-in, I use ours to get out of the house, so I'm not sitting around all day. I'm not used to it as I'm off sick from work and used to being busy.

MrAndy
18-11-14, 09:04
some good replies on here Greg
I know how you feel about being fidgety im the same and hate been stuck on my own ,i get bored very easily
At least you now have a decent roof over your head ,still keeping taking one day at a time mate something will come up

gregcool
18-11-14, 17:52
Guys thanks for all the good advice.im getting out each day for a few hrs,but its the late afternoon until around 8pm time the isolation sets in and bordom .as i say where i live im not really walking distance to much and if i work volentary it means when its raining ill be soked before i get there so dint think thats a option for me,ill have to re think and start looking for a real jib,bit hard at 48 years old most people dont want to employ ,got to do something,,

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Thanks andy yep is bad feeling this way but like you say at least i have a home of my own,better than bumming around from sofa to sofa,im sleeping better now to in my own bed,so thats a plus

MrAndy
18-11-14, 19:28
Well done on the sleep that's a positive to bank away,I'm also getting a good 8 hours now :)
You are getting into town and being positive so hang onto that for now,maybe try an agency when looking for work.You don't have to declare age on a cv anymore 48 isn't to old to find work

gregcool
19-11-14, 12:52
good to hear you are sleeping well to andy.its so much nicer to wake from a good night sleep.it helps.as long as the weather is dry i will continue to walk into town and goto the drop in center for the homless.they give you a meal and a drink and somewhere to sit and chat to others.just discovered this place this week...