PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage?

Cherryade
19-11-14, 10:28
I know one of the secrets of managing my anxiety is to force myself to do things even when I am feeling bad. How do you force yourself out of the house when you feel as though you cannot even walk the length of yourself? When I feel bad my legs feel all weak and wobbly and I just want to sit down all the time.

wabbit1
19-11-14, 10:31
Sheer determination and just keep focusing on what I can do for myself when I get home. Like a treat of some sort.

helenclaire
19-11-14, 10:36
I know what you mean!!
I have to force myself to go out even though I feel like my legs are going to
give way.
It is horrible, I feel so ill.
I keep telling myself I have felt like this so many times and nothing bad has happened but it doesn't stop the feelings.

Cherryade
19-11-14, 11:56
I find myself turning down invitations if it is more than a (very) short walk from the car. I have started doing a Pilates class at the gym in the hope it will give me a bit more confidence in what my body can do, but it is so hard to get myself out of the house. Even putting my bins out some days feels like a step too far!

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-14, 03:31
Its always hard at first but it does get easier.

If its about fear, keep moving the boundaries a little, its all micro goals and after a while you will be able to look back at how far you have come. If you can't get out on your own, take someone with you and then start to remove their presence bit by bit so you spend more time out of the house on your own and then move towards going out on your own.

If its about fatigue then it comes down to various factors. Walking will help with this, but at first it may seem more of a drag. Keep well hydrated, get a multivitamin, etc as fatigue can often be due to the extra demand anxiety plays on our bodies so we need better nutrition.

If its just lack of motivation, this one can be a bit more complicated to find a way out of. I have found that the thing that gets me moving more than anything is having something to get to, an appointment, a meeting with someone, having to buy X before an offer ends, etc. Going out with others also gets you moving more. Left to our own devices, we can give in and stay in but when we feel we have an obligation, it can give us some motivation as we don't want to let others down.

It sounds to me like exercise will help you. The tired & wobbly sensations can go when we get up and moving.

Pineapplepie
24-11-14, 10:50
Other people are my motivation for doing things. Without my little family I'd probably not even get up in the morning and find myself down a bigger hole.

Strangely sometimes, like today, I want to wallow in my anxiousness and sadness and almost be like moving through it rather than blocking it out and doing something.

I also find sometimes writing stuff down helps.

It's like a roller coaster

MrAndy
24-11-14, 11:12
my immediate family and work are the things i get up for,being at home all day would make me feel lots worse than I do at times.

Cherryade
24-11-14, 15:05
I don't have family, am retired and live alone. Trying to get motivated is the hardest thing to do. I do have good friends but don't wish to rely on them too much. I must remember 'a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step'. Onwards and upwards.

MrAndy
24-11-14, 15:17
we have another member on here who recently suffers from gad after retirement,having time on your hands is a problem for anxiety sufferers
Are there any charities you can work for or local clubs you can join during the day ?