PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety does not discriminate

skippy66
19-11-14, 13:26
Some think that health anxiety is purely a problem for the mentally weak, outcasts of society who always have and always will have mental health issues.

This is simply not the case. HA affects people from all walks of live, from surgeons (medical students have an incredibly high incidence of HA) to lawyers to bin men to housewives.

I personally think that it's a combination of what's in the genes and learned behaviour, either passed on by the way your parents brought you up (you may have seen them stressing about their health) or brought on by a particularly stressful event or illness.

The second most important thing to remember is that it can affect ANYONE.

The first most important thing (excuse my bad grammar) to remember is that YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM. As soon as you start thinking that way "poor me, why does this not happen to everyone else, I will never beat this, I am going to try to get signed off work because of this" - this is the point that HA gets incredibly difficult to beat. But it can still be done.

I strongly believe that if you do these things you will beat health anxiety:

- Get physically fit
- Practise stress-reduction techniques
- Get more stuff in your life - this was a massive one for me as my HA developed when I had little else to do.
- Avoid reassurance/Dr Google
- Look at life from a distance and try to think philosophically about things

Frankie123
19-11-14, 14:49
You are so right Skippy. This is what my doctor told me that there but for the grace of God it could be him and that is why I have always got great support from him.

Canbud
19-11-14, 15:11
I just read this article on line where some university types did a study, and found that people with HA had a higher IQ. :)

xofeatherxo
19-11-14, 18:19
Yoga helped me a lot for a while, I only got bad again after I stopped. It really helps to keep you busy. Instead of running through symptoms and potential diseases when I had nothing else to do, I'd just go do yoga for half an hour and a lot of the aches and pains I always thought were due to some terrible disease went away. I really should start again....

*edit* I tried to provide a link to the workout I used but for some reason it didn't work. Just Google yoga workouts for beginners and several will come up. :)

almamatters
19-11-14, 18:21
I just read this article on line where some university types did a study, and found that people with HA had a higher IQ. :)

As I have always thought :winks:

countrygirl
19-11-14, 18:54
By definition you have to have the ability to think of the worse case scenario which could explain why it tends to hit those with higher IQ:)

Darwin73
19-11-14, 23:10
Do you have any links to that study Canbud?

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

I mean internet links, not that you were actually involved in the study :D

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-14, 02:59

HA specifically or an anxiety disorder?

Anxiety disorders & depression have often plagued creative thinkers.