PDA

View Full Version : Vicious circle

Cherryade
19-11-14, 16:10
Today I decided that I would walk to the local café for a coffee. One of my problems is that I do not get out of the house enough. So I thought this would help. But.........the more I thought about doing it, the more stressed I felt. The more stressed I felt, the less I felt like doing it. And the more difficult it was to do. How do I stop this vicious circle of trying to do 'normal' things to help my anxiety but the trying to do them stresses me out even more?

I sound a real wuss but this anxiety stuff is so difficult!

MrAndy
19-11-14, 16:28
Its hard but you have to stop the thinking about them and just do it no matter how uncomfortable it is.Set yourself small goals and when you feel youve achieved something write it down to look back on.Most people who suffers some form of anxiety goes through the vicious circle of thoughts but it is possible to overcome.Try and stay strong and keep going
good luck

lior
19-11-14, 16:30
I know exactly how you feel.

I can only get myself to do things when I feel this way if I don't let myself think about them. If I think about them, I end up getting scared and worked up and then might not do them.

So I either:
- distract myself with other things to do or even a phone game
- tell myself I don't have to go if I don't want to in a reassuring way, then decide to go last minute - so I trick myself

Spikie
20-11-14, 08:08
- tell myself I don't have to go if I don't want to in a reassuring way, then decide to go last minute - so I trick myself

^ This :)

I do that too! 'Ok I won't go, I'll just walk to the door and... oh look I seem to have daydreamed into the cafe, shocking!' :)

I'm off to see Lady Gaga tonight and the idea of being surrounded by all those people is terrifying, so I'm not thinking about it/pretending I'm going to do something else. Hopefully by the time she comes on I will not even fully realise where I am :)

lior
20-11-14, 09:18
Oooh exciting! Going to a gig - sometimes being part of a crowd makes the experience better. You never know, you might enjoy being part of that crowd tonight :)

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-14, 09:23
^ This :)

I do that too! 'Ok I won't go, I'll just walk to the door and... oh look I seem to have daydreamed into the cafe, shocking!' :)

I'm off to see Lady Gaga tonight and the idea of being surrounded by all those people is terrifying, so I'm not thinking about it/pretending I'm going to do something else. Hopefully by the time she comes on I will not even fully realise where I am :)

Sounds like a good argument for a 'poker face' :winks::D