PDA

View Full Version : Very Scared - Sore Back of Tongue on One Side for One Week

Mich45
19-11-14, 16:18
Hi all,

I thought I had canker sore or sores on the back of my tongue as every swallow for 7 days today KILLS me with pain. I went to the dentist and he said I have NO canker sores. (maybe there is one further back that he cannot see?!) So I went to my family doctor and he just chalked it up to a virus. He did a throat culture and it was negative.

I just never had pain like this on one side before. It feels like strep throat but my throat is healthy pink looking. My tongue even looks fine but when I eat or drink or yawn or swallow my own saliva oh my does it HURT. :weep: Maybe I caught an odd virus or something, I don't know. I am scared thinking it is lingual tonsil cancer or tongue cancer. :weep:

Has anyone else had anything like this? Tongue pain on one side only for 7 days today. It feels like an odd infection or something. No fever and no swollen glands.

Thank you kindly. :flowers:
Mich

P.S. I am seeing my ENT Friday for a scope down my throat in his office.

countrygirl
19-11-14, 18:57
I often burn or abrade my tongue on rough food and although it looks totally fine it is absolute agony if anything touches it like food/drink and as the tongue heals very slowly it can take up to a 4 weeks before it improves. First time I had it I panicked as well and rushed to Drs but my tongue looked totally normal and then I remembered that I had eaten a pastille covered in sugar and had basically sandpapered my tongue:)

Hope all is fine with you and its something like this.

Mich45
20-11-14, 13:29
I often burn or abrade my tongue on rough food and although it looks totally fine it is absolute agony if anything touches it like food/drink and as the tongue heals very slowly it can take up to a 4 weeks before it improves. First time I had it I panicked as well and rushed to Drs but my tongue looked totally normal and then I remembered that I had eaten a pastille covered in sugar and had basically sandpapered my tongue:)

Hope all is fine with you and its something like this.

Thank you so much!! I appreciate the time you took to reply. :)

Mich45
21-11-14, 19:37
I wanted to update this as so many times I read a post and read about something I have or close to what I have and never see what the person found out it was.

I went to my ENT today and he did a thorough exam and said it sounds to him like a Virus and/or Trigeminal Neuralgia. I actually just started feeling better last night and have been okay ever since thank God! That was by far THE worst pain I ever had - no joke! I had natural childbirth twice and this tongue pain was WORSE than childbirth pain!!! :ohmy: It had me super freaked out!

Thanks again to all for the support!

(((hugs)))

Fishmanpa
23-11-14, 02:22
Glad all is well. You might want to update your thread on the OCF side too.

Positive thoughts