PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety really cause intense nausea?

jennielouises
19-11-14, 19:13
First off I am emetophobic and nausea is a big deal to me. I have been getting constant bad nausea for a few months now. At first I think it was were I started the pill (at the beginning of oct) and I also went back on citalopram after decreasing to TTC (that's put on hold for the moment and I am 100% not pregnant). But it keeps coming and going and is worse when I'm at work. The citalopram has messed up my appetite and I feel a tiny bit nauseous looking or thinking of food. But I'm not as bad when I'm at home.

On the 25th oct I upped my cit to 15mg. I then felt really sick three days later. However, I think it was made worse as there was a stomach bug going round work and I thought that was what was wrong with me. I had terrible panic attacks all that week.

I was doing well and was back at work. Last week I made the trip up to our London office which is something that causes me a lot of anxiety. I couldn't eat whilst there and then the nausea got really intense again. I upped my cit to 20mg then as I felt sick anyway. My panic has increased and I'm getting nausea again but I'm not sure it's a real side effect as when I'm forced to eat I can. I just don't fancy food.

I have a hard time working out if I'm actually nauseous or not. It's often a weird feeling in my throat and it's like my head doesn't fancy food but I don't get the nausea in my stomach.

Also, can anxiety make nausea so strong you feel you will actually be sick?

SarahH
19-11-14, 19:14
Yes.

almamatters
19-11-14, 19:16
Most definitely , has happened to me several times.

Canbud
19-11-14, 21:07
Oh my god can it cause nausea. :scared15:

jennielouises
19-11-14, 21:11
Thanks. Trouble is the nausea is what is causing the anxiety which must then be making me more nauseous. Such a vicious circle!

Canbud
19-11-14, 21:25
Thanks. Trouble is the nausea is what is causing the anxiety which must then be making me more nauseous. Such a vicious circle!

Have you tried taking gravol? I take children's gravol chewables when my anxiety causes nausea. They're great because you have alot of wiggle room to treat your nausea without feeling drugged or tired. I take two of them, for a total of 30 mgs, which is still lower than the adult dose of 50. Works like a charm.

It stops the nausea AND the nausea/anxiety/nausea cycle.

chickpea
19-11-14, 21:27
Anxiety and cit can make you feel horrendously nauseous.
If you can eat, do...because anxiety + cit + hunger = double nausea and double anxiety.

jennielouises
19-11-14, 22:01
What's gravol?

I eat when my anxiety is low so in the evening. Try to eat as much as I can then

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Googled gravol. It's not available in the UK :-(

Canbud
19-11-14, 22:20
Look for Dramamine. That's the generic name for gravol. Apparently you can find it over-the-counter in any UK pharmacy.

jennielouises
19-11-14, 22:24
Thanks. Hopefully my anxiety will be low enough tomorrow to get to the store and get some. I was given metoclopramide but it makes me so drowsy and doesn't reallt touch the nausea. I used to use domperidone but they stopped selling it in the uk