PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety worse is winter?

misslove
20-11-14, 15:14
Over the past few years I have come to understand what sets off my panic attacks and what doesn't. I live in a place where it can snow A lot in a short period. they do a good job with keeping thr roads clean but when it's coming down in buckets and I can't see out the window that's when I start freaking out. my mind starts going to places i can't stop it. What if there's an emergency and we need to go to the er and we can't get out of our own driveway???? My logical side tells me that it's only for a few hours and the snow plow will be thru again. anyone else feel extremely closturephobic (sorry can't spell lol ) when it's blizzarding outside?

Bonkersbob1710
20-11-14, 18:28
Definitely worse in winter, dark nights and shorter days. Always feels different.
Snow here sometimes but I think generally people start to hibernate more in Winter which wouldn't help anxiety etc.
Keep going.....
:)

ray52
20-11-14, 18:45
Grey sky's, short days and cold. We wait for Spring when the sun comes back, longer days and the birds sing. It will come until then snuggle and stay warm misslove :)

gregcool
20-11-14, 20:22
I hate the winter time.:mad:

MyNameIsTerry
21-11-14, 08:31
Are you getting hit by the bad storms in the US at the moment misslove? The snow you get over there makes ours look like a few flakes so I think we can understand how it can be a trigger.

Try to think that even though you get cut off at times, nothing has happened before so there is no reason it will. Even then, you've got the emergency services on the other side and they will do whatever they can to get to people who need them by air & land. They have disaster plans for anything like this to keep services running for the emergencies.

misslove
24-11-14, 04:44
Thanks guys. And yes we get snow here, a lot lol. sometimes a few feet at a time. I can deal with a few inches cause I grew up with it. As long as a car will go thru it im fine lol. Im going to try to work out a bit and keep busy. Maybe make arts and crafts with my daughter or somethi g to keep us busy if we get stuck in he house.

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-14, 08:18
Sounds like a great idea misslove. The exercise will burn off the adrenaline and make you less likely to have build ups and the creative outlet side is always a great way to tackle anxiety & depression in any form so it can only help. I'm sure your daughter will also keep you busy and sharing a task can make it more absorbing.

State of panic
25-11-14, 02:51
my doctor told me that it has been proven that winter can make depression worse because of the lack of sun. it's usually dark, cloudy, no sunlight and even people that are not clinically depressed feel a bit more down during the winter months. I hate winter, always worrying if my car won't start if it's really cold, or I will get stuck in the snow or slide on the ice, then you have to wear layers of clothing and warm up your car. I am always happier during the warmer sunny months go figure my melt down had to happen right before winter. maybe the Zoloft will have me making snowmen this year, but since I hate the cold I doubt it.

misslove
25-11-14, 03:48
Yes I agree. Having to do chores in the winter is harder. Brushing off the car, getting the layers and boots and and hoping you don't get caught in s blizzard. Maybe we will get lucky and winter will skip over us this year!

MyNameIsTerry
25-11-14, 07:06
my doctor told me that it has been proven that winter can make depression worse because of the lack of sun. it's usually dark, cloudy, no sunlight and even people that are not clinically depressed feel a bit more down during the winter months. I hate winter, always worrying if my car won't start if it's really cold, or I will get stuck in the snow or slide on the ice, then you have to wear layers of clothing and warm up your car. I am always happier during the warmer sunny months go figure my melt down had to happen right before winter. maybe the Zoloft will have me making snowmen this year, but since I hate the cold I doubt it.

I know in the UK that the quality of daylight is not enough to influence the vitamin D response hence why we have SAD and need to supplement.