PDA

View Full Version : As an anxiety/depression sufferer, how can I help my partner?

anxiousduckie
20-11-14, 18:01
I've suffered from anxiety for a very long time, and while I have learnt certain ways to deal with it, right now I am not. I have finally reached out and got on the waiting list for counselling so I am feeling a little more positive but I am aware of how I act is affecting my boyfriend.
He is slowly losing patience with me, and I don't blame him. He is always supportive and always there for me, but I am terrified of pushing him away. I want to find a way to let him understand my condition more because right now I feel he doesn't (this is a newish relationship) so that it doesn't isolate him or me. He has mentioned that me being this way upsets him and he doesn't know what to do when I'm in a heap, crying and saying I'm worthless (just an example).
Is there anyone who can help? Maybe you are watching your partner go through this?
I want to be better for me, but I also want to be better for the man I love.
How can I support him supporting me?

Bonkersbob1710
20-11-14, 18:29
If you don't or have never suffered with it, they just won't understand.
The old 'cheer up' won't and never works. So good that you are getting help.

anxiousduckie
20-11-14, 19:11
I don't expect him to understand fully, but there must be better ways to communicate with him. I can't hide this part of myself you know?

Sunflower2
20-11-14, 20:00
I recently had problems in my relationship with this. I found telling him what I was doing to help myself get better made a big difference. That and tell him that you just can't always control the way you react to things. My boyfriend was feeling really exasperated by it because it seemed like I just wasn't even doing anything to try get better. It is a hard thing for someone who loves you see you in such distress and they don't understand what to do to help. I'd try and not get reassurance from him all the time, but be honest when you are struggling and just say when you're not coping very well. Be open about it, but don't use him to feed your anxieties.