PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Aoife.

Olive
04-01-07, 21:17
Hi,

I'm living in Dublin and for about the last year my life has been like one long panic attack. I've suffered with them for years but to a much more managable level. At the moment I find it difficult to even leave the house because I'm so terrified of panicking/losing control/dying/fainting/going mad when I'm out.

I'm obsessed with my health and keep imaging that I'm seriously ill. I often feel as though I have to monitor myself, sometimes for hours on end, to see if I can diagnose any problems. I check my pulse, check my temperature, test my vision, test my memory etc.

I also experience depersonalisation, where I feel that I'm not part of anything that's going on around me. I look at my hands and I don't feel as though I'm controling them and I feel that I'm seeing and hearing things through a kind of fog. It's like being in a dream.

I find it so difficult to enjoy anything anymore. I really try to focus on the positive things in my life but I just can't feel content or happy. If I'm not having a panic attack, I'm worrying about the next one. I feel like my life isn't my own anymore because my panic controls me so much.

I tried counselling but didn't feel much improved, so I've finally taken the medication that my doctor recommended. It's called Lexapro. I've been taking it for 2 weeks and haven't felt any improvement. I'm just getting worried that it's doing me more harm than good. But I'm going to persist.

I'd love to be able to have a normal life again, where I could relax and enjoy the good things that happen. I feel as though I'm wasting my life with this panic but I can't stop it. I really feel that I'm going mad and I can't see an end to the misery.

I'm so glad to have found a site with others who feel the same way. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Aoife.

nomorepanic
04-01-07, 21:19
Hi Aoife

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

I am sure we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Olive
04-01-07, 21:33
Thanks! I've never met anyone who has suffered like this before so it's great to be able to share it with people who understand.

Shiloh
04-01-07, 21:43
Hi Aoife

Welcome to the site, you're among friends here. Your problems sound very familiar to me as I have most of them to one degree or another. It's the unreal feeling that gets to me the most but the moments of clarity are worth waiting for. Give the medication a chance to have an effect but in the meantime <<HUGS>> and my thoughts are with you.

Chris :D

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling anyway. John Wayne

clickaway
04-01-07, 21:50
Hi Aoife,

I'm pleased that you found us here. I think we all thought we were the only ones until we found this site!

My story sounds a bit like yours in that I had Panic Attacks which meant that I just had some days off work, but then they came down on me big time - the doctor diagnosed me as having General Anxiety Disorder and I found medication difficult. But it can work, so don't despair.

Use this forum to read about others. You will in time realise that there is no need to constantly monitor yourself as if you are going to die, because you are going to stay alive! You will learn here that anxiety has 1,001 symptoms which are uncomfortable and sometimes painful, so accept that, but I know its hard.

Lastly, can I say that I love that name Aoife. It is not a name I am very familiar with, but I do remember the lovely Aoife on "How Do They Solve a Problem Like Maria"! :D

Take Care!

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

honeybee3939
04-01-07, 21:56
Hi Aoife

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice here while making new friends on the way.

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Olive
04-01-07, 22:26
Thanks everyone. I really think this site is going to help me. xxxx

feels_like_home
05-01-07, 03:54
Hi Aoife,
One of my worst symptoms seems to be depersonalization. Today was a bad day because I was so tired. This time instead of worrying about it, I decided to just go on with my day and I felt better. I just ignored it. Not easy, but today it worked. I am always monitoring how I am feeling. The more I do this the worse it is. It is a horrible cycle. You are not alone.
Take care,
Michelle

kittykat
05-01-07, 14:50
Hi Aoife,

Welcome to the site , you'll find it a great help.

take care

shirley xx

airwolf451
05-01-07, 14:56
hey there just pm'ed ya take a look

lawzy
17-11-07, 02:01
hey there,
you are not alone and things well definitly get better. im also taking lexapro and trust me it does work just takes about 3-4 weeks to get properly into your system. i used to be really bad but i try to have a strong personality to get better. i am also constantly worrying i never stop its like i wil just get over one thing and then another thing for me to worry about comes up.

stay strong :) it wil get better.
take care.

Rain
17-11-07, 10:25
:flowers: Hi Aoife,
Sorry you have been experiencing all those problems. It really helps being a member of this great site as everyone understands how you are feeling. It's really nice to have you onboard.

Lindalou64
17-11-07, 11:14
HELLO AOIFE AND WELCOME TO THE SITE.........LINDA

Believe
17-11-07, 11:28
Hello Aoife,

Welcome to NMP. You will make lots of friends and get great advice.
Hope to see you around.

groovygranny
17-11-07, 12:23
Hello Aoife:welcome: to you!

Good to see you've got some help already - you definitely won't feel so alone now!

Glad you found us and very pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

darkangel
17-11-07, 15:42
Welcome along Aoife, what a lovely name by the way :flowers:

Its horrible experiencing what you are going through but im sure with the help and support from this site you will start to get better and I think realising that you are not alone definely helps too.

Try and read up on as much info as possible and this will help you understand maybe why our bodies react the way it does. For me the big thing is not adding to the fears, but learning to relax by breathing exercises and quietening the mind.

Glad u have joined us and being around people who can empathise certainly does help.

Darkangel x:flowers:

Pink Princess
17-11-07, 17:07
http://www.geocities.com/k_garber/graphics/TS9Welc.jpg

take kare xxx