PDA

View Full Version : First time post........

g40polo
21-11-14, 09:13
Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you are all well?

Anyway, after viewing this site/forum a number of times over the years, I finally took the plunge and joined.

I have always been a 'worrier' even as a child, but my anxiety has escalated over the last 5 years, worrying about my health more than ever.

To put it into context, I am a 30 year old ex professional Rugby player, who had to retire when I was 24 due to shoulder injuries.

This is when my problems started really, watching TV and someone mentions HIV, and I would Google it, convince myself I had the symptoms of HIV, and that was that.

Trips to the doctors, tests etc, all came back negative.

All good for a while, then, I would have a headache, what if I had a brain tumour, and the cycle repeats itself.

Now I am in an almost constant state of worry, and anxiety.

Certain situations seem to make it worse, and I have had panic attacks when Shopping, or in meetings.

When I am calm, I say to myself, " stop being so ridiculous, theres nothing wrong" but then, wham, out of the blue, another Panic attack.

I dont really know what I am hoping to gain from this post, but if anyone has any comments, id appreciate your views.

Thanks

HalfJack
21-11-14, 09:34
Have you looked up coping methods, taking meds, done CBT or anything like that?
Might be worth checking out the success stories forum on here and seeing if you pick up any advice that might relate to you.
I've found the advice and support I get from people here is the best because it's from people who have already been through or are also dealing with my issues, sharing tips is priceless.

Breaking cycles can be very hard, but identifying that that needs to be done is an awesome start :) x

g40polo
21-11-14, 09:46
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have spent alot of time on the internet, which is partly the problem I think!

Always looking up symptoms etc etc.

Ive started with Acupuncture, which to be honest has been brilliant!

I have been to the docs about CBT but the waiting list is massive!

Saja
21-11-14, 11:03
Hi,
I have the same problem ,
Health anxiety,
First I had headache , then I was convinced it's brain tumor
Then i faced some bowl problem and I was convinced it's bowl tumor .
Then i found lump and I'm very very convined it's lymphoma.

You know who leads me to this anxiety?
Google! The worst fhing to do if u have any problem is to Google it.

But for me I can not :( i'm trying so hard to not checking health sites and google my health problem.

Guess what? If i do not google anf problem or symtoms or visit any heLth site, I feel fine. But once I read anything about any disease or symtoms I become super worried.

I just want to tell u that u are not alone :(
Too many people have the same problem maybe worse.
My mum keeps telling me if u worry or afraid from something it will catch u.

Try not to google anything, do not stay alone .

And read the threads here, I feel much better when I saw that it's not me who suffers from this.

Best of luck