PDA

View Full Version : Some Help If You Are Worried About Swollen Glands

Canbud
21-11-14, 13:51
I'm struck by the number of posts about worries over swollen lymph nodes so I thought I might try to put your collective minds at ease.

I'm a two-time survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma. I'm not a doctor of course, but the information I'm going to provide is based on my experience and the knowledge gained from two occurrences and 15 years of cancer checkups.

First of all, the lymphatic system is designed to collected all the crud from our system (infection, virus, etc) and get rid of it. Many times, this results in swollen nodes, which can occur anywhere along the lymph system. It is very common to have swollen glands under and along the jaw line, especially with a cold or virus, for example. Mono can also produce multiple swellings along the neck. Another common place for your glands to swell in is the groin area. This seems to happen alot to guys for some reason (what ARE you guys doing down there, anyway? :D ).

Other swellings may seem like they're our lymph nodes, but they're actually benign fat deposits called papillomas. I like to call them fat blobs. :) Sometimes people confuse them with lymph nodes.

All of this is to stay that, in the event you find a swollen node, don't panic. Have your doc check it out, and know that in all probability its just a little node doing its job.

Fishmanpa
21-11-14, 16:00
Good post! I'm a survivor of stage IV head and neck cancer so I know all about the nodes.

Nodes are one of the top 5 posting subjects and the poor things are probably the most abused due to the amount of poking and prodding they receive :D

Positive thoughts

Canbud
21-11-14, 16:41
thanks fishman--those poor nodes do get quite a workout on NMP. I hope people read this and that it can assuage their fears somewhat.

Linatjong1981
21-11-14, 17:40
Canbud n fish manpa I have this lymp in the right neck for at least 10 years or hv it since I was young my mom always said it was nothing I'm female 33 health no other symptom I went to ENT 2 days ago the lymp is pinky size n dr want to do niddle biopsy next week I also mentioned to him I have this allegy on my nose n dr want send me to for allergic testing what do you think of niddle biopsy? Dr said it is a good test

Canbud
21-11-14, 17:58
Go for it, for sure. It's such a quick, simple procedure.

Fishmanpa
21-11-14, 18:20
I'm not a doctor but a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) is the gold standard in diagnosis. Most people don't have a node large enough to even biopsy and the fact that you've had it for ten years points this being benign and the doctor doing what he's supposed to do and making a few extra bucks doing so!

Positive thoughts

charm1234
21-11-14, 21:15
I'm having real aniexty over one in my groin its causing me discomfort :( i did have mri 5 weeks ago on my pelvis because of two lumps but as you know ha really putting all them together:(

Canbud
21-11-14, 21:19
Typically, nodes that are painful usually indicate infection. I understand the anxiety though, but try not to worry.

Merlin24
23-03-16, 00:14
Hi I'm new here- first post! Just recently I've become obsessed with a lymph gland in my groin which keeps swelling then going back down! I went to the GP and she said that I had a fungal infection in my groin and prescribed a cream. The gland kept going completely away so I stopped using the cream - this happened 3 times, and now the gland is back with a vengance! It is very painful today and I'm back to reapplying the cream, my gp rang me and said she didn't think it was anything sinister because it keeps going away and then re swelling, and that she thought this was because I hadn't applied said cream correctly or long enough. is this consistent with your experiences? I'm becoming completely obsessive and driving everyone mad with my constant going on! I also keep consulting Dr Google which of course confirms my worst fears :( Thankyou

Fishmanpa
23-03-16, 00:59
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts

Merlin24
23-03-16, 01:03
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts

Thankyou- I will try and keep those thoughts under wraps from now on!

Fishmanpa
23-03-16, 18:05
Thankyou- I will try and keep those thoughts under wraps from now on!

That's sometimes hard to do.... I understand. But when those thoughts come crashing through, keep what I said in mind and don't listen to Dr. Google ;)

Positive thoughts

mnaha
24-03-16, 06:16
I'm struck by the number of posts about worries over swollen lymph nodes so I thought I might try to put your collective minds at ease.

I'm a two-time survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma. I'm not a doctor of course, but the information I'm going to provide is based on my experience and the knowledge gained from two occurrences and 15 years of cancer checkups.

First of all, the lymphatic system is designed to collected all the crud from our system (infection, virus, etc) and get rid of it. Many times, this results in swollen nodes, which can occur anywhere along the lymph system. It is very common to have swollen glands under and along the jaw line, especially with a cold or virus, for example. Mono can also produce multiple swellings along the neck. Another common place for your glands to swell in is the groin area. This seems to happen alot to guys for some reason (what ARE you guys doing down there, anyway? :D ).

Other swellings may seem like they're our lymph nodes, but they're actually benign fat deposits called papillomas. I like to call them fat blobs. :) Sometimes people confuse them with lymph nodes.

All of this is to stay that, in the event you find a swollen node, don't panic. Have your doc check it out, and know that in all probability its just a little node doing its job.

Thanks for trying to help..its greatly appreciated.