PDA

View Full Version : hiv rapid test news!

lildude6666
21-11-14, 15:45
just found out that the rapid test i had done was an insti 2nd generation test. i had not been esposed to hiv for like 3 years before my test and it came back non reactive negative. Can i be assured that this test is accurate as i have been reading alot on clinical studies etc and false negatives. just want some reassurance that i am fine and can completely eradicate hiv from my mind

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

sorry my mistake it was a 3rd generation test

Fishmanpa
21-11-14, 16:02
just found out that the rapid test i had done was an insti 2nd generation test. i had not been esposed to hiv for like 3 years before my test and it came back non reactive negative. Can i be assured that this test is accurate as i have been reading alot on clinical studies etc and false negatives. just want some reassurance that i am fine and can completely eradicate hiv from my mind

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

sorry my mistake it was a 3rd generation test

You're the only one that can do that. A negative test is a negative test. You either decide to accept it or continue the cycle of doubt and fear.

Positive thoughts

CleverLittleViper
21-11-14, 17:22
There is NO such thing as a false negative. The rapid tests are as accurate as the standard blood lab tests. If they weren't, they wouldn't do them.

If the test comes back negative, guess what? It's because you're negative. You can read stuff on the internet all day long but you have no way of verifying the validity of such studies. You also have no way of knowing if those supposed false negatives were due to the fact that they were tested before the antibodies had time to replicate. Which you already know is the NOT the case with you.

Only you can choose to put it out of your mind, but it seems you're intent on keeping it around, lingering when there's no need. Wouldn't you rather celebrate your negative result than worry about something that isn't even possible? :blush:

Now, there are ways HIV positive people can test negative but only when they're being treated for it with antiretrovirals, making their viral load indistinguishable. Since you're not on treatment, you were well clear of the exposure window, and you tested negative, why do you think that was? :winks:

In the end, it is up to you, but in my opinion, this is all just a waste of your time and energy. You don't have HIV, but until you make the choice to accept that, it will linger in your mind no matter how much reassurance you get. You could get test after test and still doubt them.