PDA

View Full Version : smoking cigarettes makes me more anxious

gregcool
22-11-14, 08:47
Hi guys,iv been reading other forums on smoking and iv read alot about people saying that they feel anxious or depressed during and after smoking cigarettes,even people who are not anxiety sufferes,...iv noticed lattley that esp first smoke of the morning during that smoke i start to suffer higher anxiety and derealization,and depression,and throughout the day it all continues as i carry on smoking,...i know its bad for you and did give it up for 10 years up till 18 months ago when i started again,which i regret so much...im scared to give up again allready being anxiety depression sufferer in case the withdraw adds to much to my already bad mental health,i was thinking about trying out these new vappor cigarettes,iv tried one before and it feels quite real when you inhale the vappor,...i was just wondering if my main anxiety and depression is being caused by smoking,any advice

Rennie1989
22-11-14, 09:46
I suppose it makes sense to a degree, sometimes my anxiety can be worsened by smoking whereas my depression seems to come and go on its own.

If you think about it if you smoke you're breathing in tar, smoke and other nasties that enters your lungs. This reduces the amount of oxygen your body is getting so you get the tingling, breathlessness, need to breathe more and other symptoms that mimics anxiety. The chemicals, like nicotine, increases your heart rate and can make you feel agitated and shaky. So it's no wonder why people feel like this when they smoke.

SarahH
22-11-14, 10:04
Yeah the first one in the morning increases my anxiety for a while............. and before all the anti-smoking lobby jump on this post.....I KNOW I SHOULD GIVE UP!!!!!!

Sarah

xBettyBoopx
23-11-14, 01:26
Since giving up smoking 5 years ago I have suffered less anxiety but more depression:weep::weep: Sometimes ya just can't win:mad::mad:

Cigarettes are a stimulant and would make your heart rate go up and you would breath quicker so that in itself would make ya more anxious.

Cigarettes are evil!! Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. I still want one even after all this time! They are a legal drug and should be banned:ohmy::ohmy:

Els
xx

psychadelic-brie
23-11-14, 11:23
I don't smoke regularly anymore, mostly because the shortness of breath I got from it, didn't help my anxiety and panic. That made it harder for me to breathe. But I occasionally have one if I really feel like it, or if I have accomplished something and want to treat myself (I really enjoy smoking). However, it definetely can heighten your anxiety. I don't know whether I was sub-consciously worrying about the health impact or the shortness of breath, but I did find it made me anxious.

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Ooh and I do suggest you try vaping. I don't use it because I don't need to, but I know an awful lot of people who have given up completely, who never seemed able to. No harm in giving it a go.

gregcool
23-11-14, 16:27
Thanks guys.i will try vapor and maybe get some patches to,ill ask my doctor what he thinks about it,,

Magic
23-11-14, 16:55
Greg, I have seen an advert on TV about asking your GP about stopping smoking.
May there is something you can get on prescription.
I have looked at various things to can buy in the chemists, like patches and other things and I thought they were rather expensive.
Take care x

gregcool
23-11-14, 20:25
Thanks magic,i think i can get patches on the script,ill see my doc this week

Fishmanpa
23-11-14, 23:01
Do whatever you can and have to quit tobacco. It's not good for your anxiety nor your health. This is advice for anyone that smokes. It can and does cause serious health issues. I'm living proof of it!

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
24-11-14, 14:07
Think of the money you would save too :)

gregcool
24-11-14, 16:08
I know its no good for my health.i did give up for 10 years before and only started up again 18 months ago due to seperating from my family and having to move away etc,..when i gave up before,i was not suffering mental health and was working and happy in life,so it will be hard this time round,but will try these new vapor devices,i may do it after xmas tho,as i have a few things coming up that will involve celabrating and enjoying myself,and would find it hard to give it up with these events on my door step..i wont save much to start annie,as i think it costs about£15 a week for the liquid that goes in them,thats about how much i spend on smoking each week,but my health will be the winner and hopefully less anxiety