PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

lavender123
23-11-14, 11:35
Is there someone who can help me althought it sound pathetic I had a three yearly mammogram Thursday morning three days ago at my local nhs clinic and my anxiety is terrible waiting for results, do they look at results straight way as the technician who did the mamogram said that they would be looked at till next week meaning tomorrow, do they look at them at weekends, or what, I am ill and crying and my head is all over the place,I cannot help the way I am, it's just if I get a call back, I won't be able to cope, as I can't cope now, I don't know how the nhs work in essex with mammograms, all the technician said to me was they won't be looked at today or tomorrow, maybe next week, tomorrow Monday will be five days. I don't think I can cope anymore, I have my son coming over in a while with his children and I won't to run away. I feel like a coward.....I have posted on her recently but I have had a few answeres just saying I done good getting it done, although it was uncomtable the technician wasn't very nice..... I am sorry for posting, as most people on here seem to be in better control of their anxiety than me.....

debs71
23-11-14, 11:53
Hi Lavender,

Don't apologise for posting. If you have nobody else who really understands when you are highly anxious, it is hellish.

Ok....so mammogram reports. No, they are not usually looked at over the weekend, the main reason being that the person who does the final report on the mammogram is the head radiologist (Consultant) Others may look at them - like the person who did your mam - but the actual report is done by the most experienced at looking at them, that being a Consultant Radiologist/Radiographer.

Sadly, it is always the same story with mams/x-rays, scans, etc. There is no quick way of getting results back, unless you have a very kindly radiologist who gives you a slight hint immediately afterwards.

I can tell how high your anxiety is with this, but you must TRY if you can to tell your mind that there is no point to this anxiety at the moment, as you are powerless as to when you get the results, so the anxiety is sort of futile. You must also try if you can to ask yourself 'is me worrying going to change anything right now?' and the answer is clearly no.

I do TOTALLY know how you feel. I have had several tests/scans lately that have left me beyond anxious when waiting. It is very hard, but what helped me was people who told me the same thing. Until there is SOMETHING to be worried about, I have to calm down, as I probably (and each time I was) will be worrying for nothing.

I know that when someone says things like this to you, you do feel 'well it is easier said than done', but it is also true that becoming so anxious doesn't serve any purpose but to stress you out and stop your life, when in all high probability you are worrying for nothing.

The key at the moment is to TRY, TRY, TRY to deviate your concentration from the mammogram results. Don't avoid your family visiting. It is the best thing for you right now. You have to distract yourself from the anxious thoughts, and occupational stuff/keeping active and busy helps. You have to tell yourself 'well there is nothing i can do right now about the results'.....it is hard, but not impossible.

I know how hard it is to do when anxiety takes over, but it is purely a trick of the mind that overwhelms you to exhaustion. Don't allow it to do that to you. xxx:hugs::hugs::hugs:

lavender123
24-11-14, 17:02
Thanks debs 71. I should have got back sooner but I have I been in a fog since Thursday morning, I rang the screening office this morning, (don't ask how) telling them how panic thicken I am maybe I was trying to find some sympathy or sometime don't know anyway, she said they haven't been looked at yet. As they don't work weekends , anyways thanks for your reply, it is right what you are saying, very true, but it am just a neurotic mess trying to normal in the circumstances, I think the word is rational. Thanks anyway

Cherryade
24-11-14, 18:35
It normally takes 10-14 days for the results to come through by letter. It may even take a bit longer. Try and keep busy - hard to do I know. Good luck.