PDA

View Full Version : Aches And Pains/Shaking

karl
28-08-04, 14:55
Since i got ill 3 months ago, ive been getting alot of aches and pains in the neck, back of the head, hands, bad in the knees sometimes.

Also i always have shaky hands and i seem to shake badly inside but nothing can really be seen on the outside is this all normal?

How can stress/constant anxiety/depression cause all these horrible symptoms.

I also feel like my head is clamped by something and i feel like im going to choke all the time its something that i get most of the day every day.

Someone shed some light on this please.

Wishingstar
28-08-04, 15:40
What you're experiencing is very normal panic/anxiety/stress symptoms. I get very similar ones quite often. So try not too worry too much about them.

The pains and choking sensation are often caused by muscle tension, even when you don't realise you are tense, you probably are. WHen you start to relax, your body starts to feel the effects of all that tension in the form of pain.

As for the shaking, this is one of my very most hated panic symptom. A doctor once told me that when I feel like I'm shakey inside, I should try to will myself to shake on the outside. Sometime this works...sometimes I just end up shaking all over! So it isn't the best solution.

Once you acknowledge and start to genuinely believe that these physical symptoms are only panic, annoying - definitely, dangerous - no, then they will slowly subside and then go away.

I hope that helps a bit! :)

seh1980
28-08-04, 17:40
hello there,

The symptoms you describe are very normal panic and anxiety ones. I get them all the time and I'm pretty sure that most others do. Try your best not to worry about them as worrying can oftern make things worse!! Take care.

Sarah :D

karl
28-08-04, 19:29
I get the tight throat choking sensations all day every day non stop and i get alot of aches and pains all over most of the day it comes and goes in different places and really annoys me.
Scares me to think im going to choke any minute.
And the aches and pains make me paranoid.
Also shaking alot inside and getting alot of twitches is really bugging me as well.

Any else had similair problems?

stimpy
29-08-04, 03:08
You will be please to know that all of the symptoms are perfectly normal and anxiety related. So nothing to worry about there at all. [^]

The trembling, sweating and shaking - That is caused by a build up of adrenalin. (Because your body is telling you to fight or to run away, even though there is nothing to fight or run from.)

As you are trembling and shaking, (sometimes subconciously, sometimes "invisibly") you are trying to use up this adrenalin and without realising it you are using muscle power too.

Imagine running for up to 8 hours a day - what would happen?

You guessed it - you would be getting a lot of aches and pains. May be even in places you could never have thought possible. Not to mention feeling rather tired and a little worried. [xx(]

Mr Panic is a great mimick and can make you think you have 1001 possible illnesses. - From the down right silly to the deadly.

Stress, panic and Anxiety have various ways of showing itself.
The most common being a tightening of the muscles, and it is always the easiest and common muscles that feel it first.
Your chest, neck and shoulders for example.
So this could very well explain why you feel as if your head is clamped and you are going to choke.

I hope this helps to explain things a wee bit.

Relaxation techniques will help with these symptoms a great deal. :)

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

sal
29-08-04, 03:49
Hi Karl

How are you?

It is so common for anxiety suffers to have the symptons you are suffering from, and you really dont need to add extra worry thinking there is something else wrong.

Anxiety is tention related and does cause muscle ache and that feeling of a choking sensation. I when highly anxious think i cant swallow anymore then i panic about breathing.

The more anxious you feel you will shake as it is nervous energy and adrenalin pumping round your body at a high speed so it does give us those affects.

Think of the olympics at the moment, the athletes etc will be pumping adrenalin and it is nervous energy and they will shake and feel tense, but they will accept it as they are nervous and anxious about what they have to face but for them it is only temporary and even if they win they will still have that adrenalin making them feel shaky. But unfortunately for us it isnt just a short term tension and anxiety due to something we are about to try and achieve.

We just have to accept it wont hurt us and with time and support we can overcome it.

Love Sal xxxxx

jo-jo
29-08-04, 09:08
Hiya Karl

Yes, its anxiety that makes us feel all these horrid symptoms. I hate the shaking thing because its so noticable to other people. In fact, even before I started geting PAs I used to shake quite a lot (carrying a full cup of coffee has never been my thing!).

All those muscle aches are indeed as a result of tension too. Have you tried using any relaxation tapes? I know it sounds a bit corny but its something worth working at as the more you learn to relax your body, the less you will get these symptoms. I use a really good one which can be obtained from www.uncommonforum.com on one track it has tips for dealing with panic and anxiety and on the other it has a really simple guided relaxation - nothing to fancy or mystical, just a plain speaking English voice. Its about £10 but well worth the investment. You could also try your local library or bookstore for other options.

Hope you feel better soon, take care
Love Jo xx

nomorepanic
29-08-04, 13:22
Hi Karl

The symptoms will subside as you start to relax and try to ignore them.

I used to feel like I was choking all the time and couldn't swallow properly - I still get that now sometimes.

The symptoms are all scary but they can't harm you and relaxation will help cos it will relax the muscles and stop you tensing them so much.

Nicola

sal
29-08-04, 14:12
Hi Karl

How are things going for you today, i hope you are not feeling too bad.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
29-08-04, 23:41
Hi Karl,

I won't repeat the explanations that have already been accurately given .

Rescue remedy can help you . See home page for explanations under remdies I think. Also a valarian ( not Valium) tincture or tablet can help calm you and relieve the shakes or something like Kalms helps too.

I started going to Yoga and that helped a lot too.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch